Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow loser needs advice from good losers

Hi Denise - we are close in height, weight and fairly close in age - i am on birth control pills - don't know how that affects my weight. Your fill sounds right cuz you don't want to pb and not be able to eat some solids -you may just be eating too much for your body to lose weight - even if it seems like nothing! so, yes, please share a few days of what you are eating - that will help for others to make suggestions. here is what I tend to eat

B: V-8 juice or Protein shake

L: Soup w/2 tbls of cottage cheese; a low fat yogurt with a few spoons of cottage cheese or a Protein Shake

D: I use a saucer (cup and saucer plate) that holds about 1/4-1/2 cup and put in a few spoons of food to fill it - Protein (whatever works) and a vege - if i can i eat 2 spoons of a carb

that totals 600 or less calories

not much fun, not much food, still a bit hungry esp in the morning

any more calories will result in no loss but no gain.

on the weekends i have a glass or two of wine and then my weight goes up only to go back down during the week.

i know its frustrating but if you feel your fill is right you'll have to play around with your calories until it works.

Hi Denise :)

OK good for you on the excersise and the tracking your calories. Now, make sure you measure your food and be totally honest on your calorie count no one needs to see it but you. Once you've figured your average, try lowering it just a little and see what happens. I know many folks talk about starvation mode but honestly my surgeon and my pcp both say that starvation mode is a load of hooey and I believe them. It may take more effort to get your body to burn fat with the hormones you are taking also depending on how much you've confused your metabolism through the years with yoyo dieting. Slow and steady wins the race. I know I will drop around 20-30lbs then plateau for a while, but during my plateau I lose inches so take measurements because you are probably making progress without realizing it! And last talk to your doctor about the possibility of changing your meds. Last I heard hrt is totally optional and rather controversial as to it's safety, so ask, it never hurts to find out more. Other than that you seem to be doing everything right. Good luck and I hope you start to lose soon :)

I start out the day with a glass of hot Water to get my medications down.

Breakfast is hard because I don't feel like eating in the monring. Sometimes I will have a Protein shake or bar, and sometimes I will eat a dannon lite yogurt. 60 claories and made with spelenda

Yesterday I had a bbq chicken thigh and a little brocolli cooked very well for lunch

(chicken breast always sticks and is painful)

For dinner I had a piece of ground turkey meatloaf approx. 3/4" in. thick with about a table spoon of ketchup. and more very well cooked brocolli.

Sometimes for lunch I have a spinach salad with chicken breast and Walmart's Italiain fat free dressing. It has 10 calories for 2 T. I have to cut the chicken into tiny slivers and chew the fresh brocolli into slime before I swallow.

Sometimes in the evenings I have a sugar free pposicle 10 calories.

I wait an hour after I eat and drink water- as much as I can. I had 32 oz before breafast today. I am waiting my hour and I will have another 32 oz after lunch.

Another quesiton? How are we supposed to get the Fiber in. That link you gave me was great. I use benefiber in my Water.< /p>

I wondered about that whole idea of not enought calories and the body goes into starvation mode. When I was on my liquid diet 4 weeks post surgery, I lost 22 lbs. I was drinking 3 slim fast low carb or Atkins drinks per day.

They are 150 -160 calories I think .The Slim fast I think is 190.

Do you think any others of you would be willing to share what a typical day's menu is for them? I can compare. I honestly don't know what restriction is supposed to feel like, and if I have it or not. I just try to eat small portions.

I get hungry in about 3 hours but I will ususally just drink a glass of Water and wait until it's time to eat. I eat lunch at noon and dinner at 5 and I am always hungry when I go to bed. I can't go off my hormones because when I didn't take them, I would go for days on only a couple hours of sleep. I still have trouble sleeping.< /p>

Typical day for me

Breakfast - 4oz Activia yogurt w/ 1/2 cup Quaker Crunchy Corn Bran (for fiber!) - I have this every weekday.

lunch - 2-3 oz meat (chicken breast or turkey lunch meat slices). If I do the lunch meat, I roll it around a Laughing Cow Light triangle of cheese. I try to do a veggie at lunch (like 1/2 cup beans) but I'm bad with veggies. More often I'll do fresh fruit (berries, kiwi)

snack - I have to have something before I go workout and because my dinner is often a bit later - usually fruit or a South Beach Diet Peanut 140 cal bar.

dinner - 2 Turkey Meatballs from Trader Joe's (100 cal for 2) with a splash of teriyaki or BBQ Sauce for flavor. I want to do a veggie but the two meatballs fill me up enough I usually don't have room.

9-10 glasses of Water a day, 1-2 chewable Flintstones Vitamins (2 if I didn't get many veggies in) and 2 chewable Viactiv Calcium

I am glad to see that you eat Yogurt for Breakfast too. I put the Fiber one in there for fiber too, even though it's carbs. It's good carbs. I have trouble in the morning. I feel sort of nauseous in the morning.

I've been chewing the chewable fiber tablets (can't remember the brand) in addition to trying to get fiber through my foods and I still don't think I get enough! Maybe I'll try adding the Fiber One...

I wonder why you're nauseous in the AM? I've heard of people being tight in the AM but not nauseous.

I think that's it. I am tight in the monring so if I eat something more solid than

yogurt, it doesn't sit well. That's why I have that or a Protein Drink. Some sites say don't drink your calories, but I think it's better to have something in my stomach, with the medications I take.

Honestly, watch the kinds of food you eat and also the portions... Remember, weight loss is purely calories in to calories out.

HA- I completely disagree -- there is so much more than just cal in vs cal out!

HA- I completely disagree -- there is so much more than just cal in vs cal out!

What do you mean? I am having so much trouble figuring all of this out. If you can clue me in as to what to do to lose, I would be thrilled. Right now I am beginning to think I need to go back on the liquid diet, even though they say to avoild liquid calories.

It does come down to calories in Vs out. If your burn more than you take in, you will lose weight. If you take in more than you burn, you gain.

Do you think any others of you would be willing to share what a typical day's menu is for them? I can compare

This is what today looks like for me;

Breakfast; Oats, and a banana (I gave my DS half of the banana, it was HUGE)

Snack; 2 rice cakes with Peanut Butter

Lunch; Tofu stir-fry

Snack; Mandarine and a handful of nuts (today it's peanuts)

Dinner; Couscous stuffed eggplant and a veggie sausage (really nice chickpea and spinach ones)

Snack; Soy yoghurt.

And heaps of Water (only because I am thirsty, not because I drink a set amount) A couple of cups of coffee, and a few cup of tea in between.

Hi Denise,

Im not banded yet but expecting to be here soon. I just wanted to jump in and comment on the hormone replacement - that is one of the side effects of HRT or BCP's (birth control pills), weight gain that is. That's one reason why I stopped them (among many others). You can look into natural methods for replacing hormones that dont have side effects just in case that's the issue. Dr John Lee has some great books on the subject. Hang in there :(