Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me it's normal to cheat on pre-op diet?!

Hey,

I am scheduled to be banded Monday June 9th. I am 4 days in to my 7 day pre op diet. I'm a little down on myself because I have cheated at least once everyday. I love to eat, hence why I need the lap band tool. Please tell me I'm not the only one who cheated, or please tell me what helped you get through this hell week!?

Three more days, I wanna be good and get through it!

Edited by _nursekjeffrey

If you cheat now, why do you thing you won't cheat with the lap band? Believe me, you are going to face even harder temptations than a 7 day pre-op diet.

Does everyone cheat? No. Do some people cheat? Yes. Did I cheat? Frankly I don't remember.

You will need to learn to live a whole different way from the way you have lived in the past. It is hard. It is worth it. Start now.

And just in case you think I am being harsh, here is a :)

Edited by Terry Poperszky

I was never required to be on a pre-op diet. Maybe because I was self pay. But I put it on myself to do a test diet since I having to drink Protein Shakes. It wasn't too bad, but I am telling you once you have the band you have to stick to what the doctor says because you don't want to have emergency surgery for messing up the port or something else. I am finishing my first week tomorrow and hoping the Dr. says it is ok for me to have oatmeal. Remember this is a tool and you are not going to be on the first 4 stages forever but you do have to control what goes in those lips. Good Luck and welcome.

_nursekjeffrey, consider this your kick in the butt! Pre-op is definitely not the hardest part. As others have said, you can do damage if you cheat after surgery. Also, some doctors won't operate if the patient has not adhered to the protocol and shrunk their liver before surgery. I've heard of one case where the doc opened up the patient and closed them right back up because the liver wasn't reduced in size.

Consider the reasons you want this surgery. You deserve a healthy body and a new lease on life. But any WLS is only a tool, and none of them will work without discipline.

So if you are serious and want to be a success, stop the cheating today and grit your teeth and hang on. It gets easier, but after the surgery, when the tool begins to work for you. Before then and for many weeks after your operation, you need good discipline.

Truth!

Edited by JustWatchMe

Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but what others have done to sabotage themselves really isn't where preOp Bandster needs to be focusing, IMHO.

We all need discipline. It has to start somewhere, some time. If we don't develop a healthy respect for the practice a modicum of preOp discipline NOW, just when will the opportunity be any better?

Good luck and cheers on your journey.

I had to work hard on developing my "won't power" as my "will power" proved unreliable.

Um, no. It is not normal. Now that you have, straighten up for the duration.

Sorry if I'm too blunt; no offense intended.

I did not cheat on mine. However, I was in the hospital with two girls that did. You could hear them throwing up all night long, all over the hospital. They put you on this diet to cut down on the fat of your liver among other things. It's truly for your own good. Remember when you overeat….it's just more of the same. Hang in there. You'll make it through this. You just have to break up with food. You have to wrap your mind around that before the surgery or you will be miserable.

Happy Losing,

Mississippi Girl

To help, try to stay busy. Read. Walk. Play video games. Eat sugar free Popsicles. Remind yourself it's only 4 days. You can do it, really!

I am on day 4 of a two week pre-op diet. I admit, it s REALLY hard. I can only have chike shakes, broth, Water and sugar free drinks.I have not cheated and don't plan to but honestly it has ran through my mind. I try to think of it as if I can't do it now how will I ever be successful. Regardless, do better because you know better. I think everyone suffers through it and before long we will be able to eat actual food. It is just part of our process. Looks like your surgery was today. I hope it went well!

Thanks Colleen, surgery was a success and I am home. In a lot of pain, I'm actually requiring assistance transferring to and from other surfaces or standing.

Update: After day 4 of my diet it got easier. I got a mind set of, "a little hard work and sacrifice always pays off". I will say I had to do things like leave my money at home when I went to work so I wouldn't be tempted to order out with everyone. But it worked, so I am happy that I went into surgery 10 lbs lighter. I can't wait to start this journey.

Good for you!! Keep up the good work, you will be happy you stuck with the pre op diet!!! I was also in the hospital with a couple ladies that cheated all the way through their pre op diet and they were sick. The last thing you want is to be sick when you just had surgery. Also, it will make the post op diet WAY easier to follow. This will be worth it in the long run.

congratulations....and yes with practice all the various postOp disciplines become easier.

cheers on the next part of your journey

The only pre-op diet I was put on, was within 8 days prior to the surgery date, eat only 1000 calls per day. No specifics, just no more than 1000. So that I didn't shock my system and turn into a complete raving lunatic, I started dropping my caloric intake long before the 8 days. It's been difficult to keep it right at 1000, but you pretty much have to knock out all junk and garbage food to maintain it. I wasn't given a specific diet to follow, but I was told to start drinking Protein Shakes, do away with sodas, junk food, etc. so as for 'cheating'... If you've veered off a specific diet you were to told to follow, that's not a good start. Get back on track NOW so that you don't cause issues with your band later.

How are you doing?!?

Very glad things are working out for you and you were able to get through the rest of your pre-op in control. I wish you great success. I am in day two of my pre-op and find house cleaning is helping distract me. I also have found a lot of support and comfort chatting with other here.

I hope you have smooth sailing from here on.

Thanks Colleen, surgery was a success and I am home. In a lot of pain, I'm actually requiring assistance transferring to and from other surfaces or standing.
Update: After day 4 of my diet it got easier. I got a mind set of, "a little hard work and sacrifice always pays off". I will say I had to do things like leave my money at home when I went to work so I wouldn't be tempted to order out with everyone. But it worked, so I am happy that I went into surgery 10 lbs lighter. I can't wait to start this journey.