Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the timeline for eating some of these typical foods?

Agreee with Lipstick Lady. I prefer to eat foods I enjoy in small quantities, on plan. At three years out and more than two years at goal, I am doing well with that so far.

Not everyone is so lucky. For some, certain foods are triggers that cause a lot of problems. For those people, the smartest choice is to chose to be free from those trigger foods. For example, bariatric bad girl Shelly, who does the blog http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/, gave up simple starches such as bread, crackers, Cookies and cake. She has a rich and varied diet and posts tons of yummy recipes, none of which include those foods.

Lynda

I can see both sides because for many, some foods are kryptonite and you don't want to go back to those habits.

When I asked about pizza, I was thinking one bite, not half a pie. Mexican food, same thing, a quarter cup of some kind of mexican food mix, not a plate of tacos or enchiladas. I mostly wanted to see what could be tolerated post surgery. I love grilled fish tacos but thanks to the feedback here, I see now that the tortilla could be a problem, so I'll eat the fish and some veggies from the inside of one taco and still be healthy.

I think there is probably a middle ground on some foods but I'm going to avoid as many carbs and sweets as possible. However, if I have one small bite of something less healthy, I dont think my surgery was all for nothing...

To clarify about the tortillas, I can eat one small corn tortilla now. It was probably around year 2. Flour tortillas are still a no go though. I just buy a couple of street-style tacos and eat the filling. If I have room, I eat a few bites of the corn tortilla.

Lynda

My doc said NO bread, Pasta, rice or potatoes for a year. Probably due to carbs not the fact that the sleeve might not like it. Our Mexican restaurant has something called vaca flaca tacos (I think). It is marinated steak with cilantro inside a lettuce leaf. When you get to regular foods, it's a nice alternative.

Three weeks out and seem to be tolerating most food ok as long as it is puréed. Lack of planning yesterday and had to eat out. Nando's medium chicken ( 2-3 ounces) really finely chopped, mash ( lots of Piri Piri ) with macho peas ( mashed)

Was well pleased I managed it till this morning when I think I might just have overdone the Piri Piri sauce.

But we all live and learn

I'm going to avoid breads, Pasta, rice and other non-protein foods as much as possible and consider every bite I put in my mouth.

Has anyone had Pasta made from carrots, Tomato or spinach? Curious whether that has some limited nutritional value. I had a dream about pasta last night and I had a big bowl of what I used to consider a serving size but I was using a pair of tiny scissors to cut away just a small bite. I guess you know what my weakness is!

This is great info, thanks. I will keep Bagels, breads, pizza crust and soft tortillas on the banned list for several months and revisit 6 months out. I saw a recipe for avacado where you mush some up with a little olive oil, splash of balsamic, some salt, pepper and a little dried basil. I thought once I could have mushy foods I might try half a Tbsp. or so. I think I'll want savory by then. I'm trying to start a list of good mushy, non-sweet foods and refried Beans might be good too. What else makes a nice mush?

I did avocado at week 4 because I don't like mayo. Worked out great.

I'm going to avoid breads, Pasta, rice and other non-protein foods as much as possible and consider every bite I put in my mouth. <br><br> Has anyone had pasta made from carrots, Tomato or spinach? Curious whether that has some limited nutritional value. I had a dream about pasta last night and I had a big bowl of what I used to consider a serving size but I was using a pair of tiny scissors to cut away just a small bite. I guess you know what my weakness is!

. I made spaghetti squash & it was actually really good. Slightly different texture than past but didn't make me think I wasn't actually eating spaghetti which by the way is my favorite meal!

I am dying to eat eggs-I am only 8 days post op-when can you usually start eating them?

I am only eating 3oz at the moment does this amount increase? Or is 3 oz's all I will ever be able to eat?

I am dying to eat eggs-I am only 8 days post op-when can you usually start eating them? I am only eating 3oz at the moment does this amount increase? Or is 3 oz's all I will ever be able to eat?

I am 7 weeks out today and my entire meal is a total of 2ounces. I was eating eggs at week 3, but they gave me terrible heartburn, so I don't eat them anymore.

You see thats where the problem starts at "one bite" that "one bite" got us where we are now. and it is possible to stretch your stomach after the operation.

My point is why would you want to do that to yourself, foods that you know you love and would be gutonous over in the past, to take one bite is like torture!

My dietician says if you get to the point where you are eating food and you have a bite of cookie or something it doesnt defeat your whole diet. Have the bite, enjoy it, and put it behind you. She said the mistake is in telling yourself that now you've ruined your diet so might as well have more. We tend to not forgive ourselves.

I agree that some foods are worse for me than others. More than likely I will not eat white bread items, Bagels, tortillas, Pasta or white rice because Protein first and all that. If I do have a bite of Pasta, I don't consider it to be a step down a slippery slope. I would hope that these months of eating discipline will provide me with a solid foundation of habits. However, I'm not an emotional eater and haven't had any head hunger. I was a great white shark eater, mindlessly grazing on what came across my path to feed my bottomless pit of a stomach without thinking much about it. No stomach, no hunger for me now. My hardest habit to break will be sloth - coming home from office job and 60 min commute and not collapsing on the couch, but that's a problem for a different thread!

i am still pre-op but have heard from many other sleevers that THIN CRUST pizza is the way to go post-op, and that around 3-4 months is typical. there is an entire thread for it somewhere! "anyone eat pizza" is the name...

10 months out I can eat anything, however, I find that I can get softer foods (i.e. Hamburger vs steak) down in larger quantities than firm Protein foods. I am also diligent about limiting sliders (chips, ice cream, candy) that go down way too easily. I have them on occasion, but I have to watch the amounts. Have no problem maintaining my loss. My main foods are Proteins, fats, and low carb vegs. I don't eat Pasta or bread, potatoes or corn, etc. except very very rarely. I do eat meats, cheese, avocados, nuts, whole milk, cream, butter, olive oil, fish and poultry, and lots of vegs. This summer I am eating fruit, too, but watching the serving size to limit the carbs. Fresh berries with creme fraische yum! Very few carbs and totally decadent.

Edited by NMJG