Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill: How much?

I was banded on the 23rd of Aug and am going for my first fill next week. My question is how much of a fill is normal? I can eat a lot of food right now, like today I had 3 cups of chicken and rice for lunch with no problem. I've only lost 8 lbs since surgery and that was all in the first 2-3 weeks. I'm definetly eating less than I used to, but don't feel restricted at all. I have to drive quite a distance to get filled and don't want to have to go back real soon if I don't have to. Any recommendations?

Hi Shireen,

There's no such thing as a "normal" first fill. Doctors have their own approach and some like to inch up on restriction while others go for it right away. Talk to the doctor about your not being able to get back frequently, and maybe he'll agree to give you a fill that will give you good restriction from the start.

A fill may take up to 2 weeks before you feel it. It may have to be fine-tuned by your fill dr. I had my 2nd fill last week. It felt perfect. But the last 2 days, I've been pbing on Water. I had .2 removed today. Recently, I've had some sinus problems and was told that can affect your fill. I had no problems with my first fill. Go figure!:)

How much did you have filled each time? I don't understand how it could take a while to feel it. The saline goes in and sqeezes your stomach and you're restrcited. What else happens that I'm missing? And how could your sinuses affect it? I have sinus problems more often than I don't. Now I'm really confused.:)

I have had 2 fills

the first was 1.1cc's on June 7th 9 weeks post op

I had my second fill of .9cc's on August 17th

My doc does them under fluoro and I have to drink the barium and he can see the barium go through so he adjusts me according to how fast the barium goes through. this fill is working good for me. I have plenty of restriction.

Shireen, it's true that the band itself is filled to a certain degree and that's it. But your stomach tissue is soft and constantly changing depending on lots of things.

The phenomenon of a fill "kicking in" might be due to your stomach wall initially reacting to the added pressure of a fill by thinning out. Fluid leaves the area as your stomach attempts to counteract the pressure of the band and keep the passageway open. As time passes and your body gets used to the pressure, the tissue returns to its normal state and voila, restriction! This can take hours or days or weeks (for me, it seems to take 2-3 weeks).

My guess is that sinus problems don't cause added restriction, but rather are a function of the same thing. When there's extra Fluid in the sinuses it could also be present in other organs. Everything is connected, and one's level of restriction depends on much more than just the amoung of saline actually IN the band. That's why the specific amount of liquid in the band is utterly irrelevant compared with other people.

Well that explains a lot! Thank you very much. I don't know if my doc uses flouro, I assume that's the best way? Does it hurt?

Thanks, Alex! That makes sense! I have also had some chest congestion so I can see where that could affect restriction. This little band keeps us on our toes!

Shireen, you'll feel a little pressure, then a pin prick. But it's really not bad. You probably won't even need a bandaid.:)

I've always wondered about the fill kicking in later. Now that you've explained it so well, I get it!! Thanks for the info, Alex, you are too smart.

Hi Shireen

I had my first fill yesterday and they put in 1cc. (doesn't hurt to have the fill).

There is no normal amount. But I was having the same problem you were. I was fine till about a week ago when I started to be hungry all the time and when I ate I could eat more then before with no trouble. Had to fight the hunger pains but when I went to Dr and explained it he did my first fill. I was banded on Aug 10.

Dr said the reason I needed the fill was the swelling of the stomach where the band was placed is normal after surgery and this swelling went donw as the stomach healed and the stoma opened up and the band needed tightening.

Don't worry about the weight loss. AS long as the scale is going down its a plus. I have been lucky with my loss but now I stay the same for 4 to six days and I don't let it get to me. Remember this isn't a quick fix.

Best of Luck

Greg

I had my fill on Wed!!!! No flouro. He filled the band completley and had me drink Water. My stomach was closed up and he made me drink the water till it stopped going down (very weird, I could feel the water fill up my esophagus). Then he pulled back on the syringe and let the saline out of the band until the water drained from my esophagus into my stomach. Then he made me drink another glass of water to make sure it went down and I was done. My fill was 2.0 ccs. I'm on Clear Liquids until tomorrow but I can tell the difference all ready. It didn't hurt at all. :D

Good job Shireen,

I was expecting the fills to be painful but I didn't feel mine at all and the Dr had trouble getting in due to scaring from insicion. He poked me 4 times before he got in and I never felt anything.

I have only had 1 cc so far but I noticed foods not hanging around in pouch again so I probably will seek anither fill.

Keep up the good work

Greg

I've read this thread with interest, because I'm getting my first fill tomorrow. I had pretty good restriction until about a week ago. I still have to chew my food very thoroughly, but it takes a lot more to fill my belly than during the first six weeks.

Luckily a well-regarded local protege of my Mexican surgeon has agreed to do my fills, and to my relief the guy uses fluoro. (I'm not looking forward to the barium stuff, but I want to make sure everything's moving right along, and I have a macabre interest in my own medical procedures.) Thanks to all the info I've read here, I'm expecting everything to go smoothly with minimal pain. Thanks, Shireen, for asking the question, and to everyone else who posted here.