Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone starting their journey in San Diego Kaiser?

Kristina, thanks so much for the Water consumption tricks. I'm going to give a few of them a try. I especially like putting the bottles out and not being able to go home until I finish. If that doesn't motivate me I don't know what will. I got some of the crystal light packets to give them a whirl as well. I love lemonade so it should help.

How has it gone with your doctor visits since you've have your surgery. Are you still having any residual pain at this point? If you don't mind my asking, after waking up from surgery what was your pain level on a scale of one to ten? Do you feel like yourself or like you have a completely new body. I spend so much of my time dreaming of when I'll get my surgery, it really helps to gain some perspective from someone who has already gone through it. You really are an invaluable source to those of us still waiting on the other and I thank you so much for sharing.

Jen, you will be finishing a week ahead of me, you lucky duck! How was the birthday bash at work? Too funny about your dream too. Hope you don't end up with a sleep injury to boot! ????. Recently I had a dream that I broke the treadmill at the work gym and everyone was so angry at me. I remember how terrible I felt. Boy our minds sure like to play games with us sometimes.

I just started my food and exercise tracking on My Fitness Pal like you two. What an eye opener as far as calories, fat, sodium etc. I had no idea some of the foods I was eating, thinking they were good for me, when in fact it was nowhere near. What goal are you setting your at? Right now I have it at one pound per week. Do you think I should aim for more? Initially Dr. Ray said I needed to lose 20 pounds before surgery, but when they had you sign that paper at the first class it said 24. Six months and probably another two months after that until I get my surgery is a long time to try and lose/maintain the weight loss, especially given my yo-yo dieting past.

Hope you're both doing well!

Debbie

Debbie, I totally understand about your treadmill dream! We do torture ourselves. I'm trying not to be so hard on myself when I perceive I have a failure. It's certainly not easy though!

Work birthday went pretty well =) the cake was yummy but I was satisfied with what I had. I did not take the cake with me, of course--definitely did not need that kind of temptation!

I'm getting more comfortable with the tracking. I like myfitnesspal so far. It's been easier to be good so far, cake aside. I do have to make it through my birthday dinner tomorrow night with my favorite cake of all! But, it will be a healthy dinner so I don't have to feel too guilty about it! I set my myfitnesspal goal to 1.5 lbs a week figuring that I will need a little extra help during the holidays. I can always switch back to 1lb. It hasn't been too bad at 1.5 though. I've been a little over most days but not too bad. I figure I'll get better at this as I go! I'm kinda relieved to be going through the classes through the holidays... I think that will help me make better decisions.

Like you, Debbie, I fantasize about the post surgery me... Wonder what I'll look like under here. I've never been thin... Just thinner than I am now. I've lost 75 lbs twice before but it always came back slowly. I'm sooo tired of yo-yoing. I'm ready to not be hungry all the time and to eat to live and not live to eat. I'm so excited that I could be free of all that soon.

I'm glad I have you guys to go through this with!

Hope all is with you guys!

Jen

My doctors visits have been pretty easy. Its really a good opportunity to ask any questions you've been wondering about. The dr will check the incisions and talk about how things are going, what you're eating and what kind of activity you've been doing. I saw my dr at one week out, one month out and then I go back at 3 months out next month. He also checks to make sure that you are on track with your weigh loss and tells you how to adjust if its not going as well as he thinks it should be.

When waking up from surgery, I would say that my pain was about a 7 at the worst. That being said, you are pretty numb and they load you up with pain meds pretty good so you are in and out of sleep. Once you get to your room, you start controlling your pain meds yourself with a pain pump which is great. They set the pump on a timer so that you can hit a button and get the meds administered to your tummy yourself. You can hit the pump whenever you want as long as the timer has reset (so you don't giving yourself too much medication). I remember the one thing I wanted was some Water cause my mouth was super dry, but they wouldn't let me have it. When they finally let me brush my teeth the next morning I was sooo happy!!!

I know a lot of people talk about not needing or using the pain meds that they give you, but I don't really agree. The pain meds help you relax so that you can rest and get healed. I don't think I would have slept at all without them just from being uncomfortable.

When I woke up, I felt like myself, if fact I wondered if he forgot to do the surgery, but I had my five scars, so I knew he did!!! But I really didn't feel any different. I lot of people talk about feel nauseous after, but I was lucky in that regard also. I only ever felt nauseous the first time I stood up to do laps around the hospital and once I started walking, it went right away

Kristina

Thank you Kristina! I know Debbie asked the questions but that makes me feel so much better. I've only had surgery once before and it was a pretty miserable experience so that's on part I'm not looking forward too! I'm with you on the pain meds... They give them to you to make you comfortable sooo why wouldn't you use them if you're hurting? sleep is super important to healing so that would take precedent for me. I mean obviously don't overuse them but they're there to help.

Hope you ladies are all doing well!

Jen

Kristina, I want to thank you as well for always being willing to answer our questions. With the exception of LASIK, I've never had surgery. So I am somewhat apprehensive about post op pain. Never to the point that I would reconsider surgery, but I believe that the more prepared you are for the worst case scenario the easier you recovery will be. And congrats, btw, on your continuing progress! Unlike the stock market I rejoice with you in your ticker downward plunge! You're doing great!

Jen, are you looking forward to class #2? Let us know how it went on Wednesday. I'm just so happy to be participating in the processonce again instead of waiting on the sideline. It gives me a whole new appreciation for the term benchwarmers!

Hope you both have a wonderful day!

Debbie

Hi Debbie =)

I am looking forward to it... But probably not for the reason I should... I ended up getting a stomach bug on my birthday and have barely been able to eat anything since. So I'm very curious as to what the scale is going to read tomorrow =) especially since I was dubious about this week because of my birthday! It's been going pretty well with the tracking. Still eye opening for sure!

I am very glad to be in the process now too--you're absolutely right about it being tough warming the bench on the sideline. Even before I got sick, from the moment my first class ended, my whole mentality changed from the unending food funeral to being on the right on track.

I was reading through the course book and it kinda seemed like we're supposed to be on a 1200 calorie diet starting this week? Kristina? Is that true?

I will definitely let you know how it goes. I know I'll have to make up the next one, so joy, I'll get to experience that! =)

Hope all is well with you guys!

Jen

A LOT of info tonight... I mean it's in the book but it was nice to get clarification on a few things! Yup, they recommend a 1200 calorie diet for us girls (holy Christmas) and we talked more about the Protein supplements and getting proper nutrition and changing mind patterns.

Debbie... I hope this is okay! I have to make up next week's class and they offered your class as an option on the 4th. Is it okay with you if I go to that one? She wrote it up but it isn't finalized yet so if you're not okay with it I can change it. Please let me know! =) I'd like to meet you if you'd like to meet me!

Yes, I did lose a lot of weight this week due to my inability to eat... Next week will be difficult... My family celebrates thanksgiving this Sunday. Not a clue how to write that bad boy up! I do really like myfitnesspal though. Very easy to use, informative, and intuitive in my humble opinion! It DID NOT like my eating habits when I was sick! I got warnings when I completed those days! Back to my new normal calories though. I think I'm going to work my way down to the 1200... I think that might make it easier instead of just dropping to it this week.

Have a great night and good luck tomorrow Debbie!

Jen

Jen, of course it's okay with me if you make up your class with mine. I look forward to meeting you!

1200 calories? I've definitely been going over that this week. My elderly mother (77) has been in the hospital since Sunday, so I've been spending the majority of my time there. For all the preaching the medical industry does on healthy eating, their cafeterias certainly don't reflect it. I'll be surprised if I haven't gained some.

I'll let you know how my class goes tonight.

Debbie

Sorry I've been so quiet lately... The last couple of weeks have been insane! I'm definitely in your class tomorrow Debbie and am excited to meet you!

Hope you're all doing well and that you survived the first of the overrating holidays this time of year! Hope everything is okay with your mom too Debbie!

Jen

Edited by plussizecrossfitter

Hi Jen! For some reason I thought you were coming next week. My memory isn't what it used to be. I'm looking forward to meeting you as well. It's a very small intimate class, so I think you'll enjoy it.

You can't miss me... I'll be the fat one! ????

Jen, I so enjoyed meeting you! You were a delight and I only wish we had all our classes together. I hope your eternal optimism rubs off on me. Thanks again for sharing your notes. Please, let's stay in touch!

Debbie

Me too! You are just as wonderful in person as you are on here! Loved getting to meet you and it's so cool that our paths are so close in this journey. I wish we had our classes together too! It was such fun having someone I feel close to in class. If I have to make up anymore classes I will for sure make them up with you! And yes, my eternal enthusiasm is here if you need it--I was struggling badly before the classes started and I know it's a very difficult place to be. We'll get through this together. I'm so grateful to have someone to talk to experiencing this along side me, so thank you!

Definitely want to stay in touch =)

Jen

So glad to have saw this. My orientation is Wednesday at the Downey location

The classes are informational depending on who your teacher is...let me know who you get!! My teacher seemed to have a certain belief that anyone who is overweight has some deep childhood issues that made them that way, but a bunch of us in the class just couldn't get her to see that maybe we just ate too much!!

My teacher also really pushed exercising, which is great and I totally see the need for it, but when you are spending 45 minutes of class exercising, and 30 minutes of catch up going over issues from the last week, then you only have 15 minutes left to cover whats in the book!! But Im just complaining, overall, I feel 1000% prepared for surgery...being on this site and reading about the journeys of other people really helped also!!

My understanding is that talking to the shrink is just like having a conversation with a friend. They mostly want to make sure that you have realistic expectations!!

Not sure if you're on here anymore, but was her name Charlie?

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

The classes are informational depending on who your teacher is...let me know who you get!! My teacher seemed to have a certain belief that anyone who is overweight has some deep childhood issues that made them that way, but a bunch of us in the class just couldn't get her to see that maybe we just ate too much!!

My teacher also really pushed exercising, which is great and I totally see the need for it, but when you are spending 45 minutes of class exercising, and 30 minutes of catch up going over issues from the last week, then you only have 15 minutes left to cover whats in the book!! But Im just complaining, overall, I feel 1000% prepared for surgery...being on this site and reading about the journeys of other people really helped also!!

My understanding is that talking to the shrink is just like having a conversation with a friend. They mostly want to make sure that you have realistic expectations!!

Not sure if you're on here anymore, but was her name Charlie?

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Yes