Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Craziest weight loss "compliment" you've ever gotten?

I'm at that point in my weight loss when people are really starting to notice and for whatever reason, they often feel the need to mention it. Most people stick with a simple, "you look great!", but every now and then I get an awkward comment that's supposed to be a compliment. I think people want to say something positive but they don't always know how to phrase it. The result is often hilarious! I know a lot of people get offended by others talking about their weight loss, but honestly, sometimes you just have to laugh about it!! It feels better when you do, trust me.

So I want to know what's the craziest weight loss compliment you've ever received?

Here's mine. Last week a coworker pulled me aside and had a very long-winded conversation with me about my weight loss and surgery. She told me that she was so happy for me because I was a beautiful girl and now I don't have to go through life with "such a burden" (meaning my excess weight). But the real kicker was when she motioned to the striped shirt I had on and said "You just look fabulous! You can wear stripes now and all kinds of other things!" Hahaha! I walked away from the exchange cracking up because sometimes I just can't believe people say the things they do!

So let's hear your stories! :D

Oh this is an easy one. I take cabs from the train station to my office. Most of the cabbies were not born here so English is their second language and as such, they often cannot use the nuances of those who learned English as children. So one day I get into the cab with a driver who hadn't seen me for about three months. He looks at me and says, 'oh, you are not so fat anymore.'

What else could I say other than thank you. LOL!

When I was heavy, I had an assistant manager who barely gave me the time of day. I think I had one conversation with him and he was kind of snappy to me. Totally uncalled for. Then when I lost 50 lbs and looked very different, suddenly he was calling me "Slim", commenting on how great i looked and talking to me for no reason ! Weird ! He transferred to another place a year ago but happened to come through our work about 4 months ago. Again, "You look great !!!" Gee.......... thanks......... I can appreciate a man who thinks a lady is attractive, but before WLS I barely existed to him ! Geesh !!

I once told a friend of mine who lost weight......"Oh my gosh, Nancy...... you lost a ton of weight."

Really, a TON?!?!?!?!

Yep, that came out of my mouth. LOL

The wife and I had Lap Band surgery in Septemer 2007. Even though I may never get to goal I have still been able to keep over a hundred pounds off.

I have a good fiend who I have known for 40 years and has seen me go up and down in my weight battle where I would lose 50 lbs and gain 60 lbs

At least once a year keeps sayiing "still keeping off the weight huh"

Another well meaning concern individual wanted to know if I had lost weight due to having cancer.

A couple weekends ago, I visited the hospital I worked at 5 years ago. Surprisingly, many of my coworkers were still there. I heard "you look good, you've lost weight" from almost all of them.......except one. She said, "you've gotten taller". Yes, at 55, I'm still growing lol.

A couple weekends ago, I visited the hospital I worked at 5 years ago. Surprisingly, many of my coworkers were still there. I heard "you look good, you've lost weight" from almost all of them.......except one. She said, "you've gotten taller". Yes, at 55, I'm still growing lol.

Very interesting, In my late teens I reached my maximum height of 5' 7" as I gained weight and reach 330 pounds my height was only 5'5" after losing more than a hundred pounds I am almost back to 5'7".

SO you might be getting taller, lol.

Thanks for sharing your stories!! I thought of another one!

I had a coworker tell me that I "looked like I lost 20 pounds over the weekend." She had JUST taken notice of my weight loss even though I see her daily....so I guess I didn't look any thinner the day before? Haha! Oh well :)

It is amazing what people say to you when you loose weight. I had someone tell me that my face didnt look fat anymore lol and everyone keeps calling me skinny minnie and i know im still far from it lol and then i made a comment that i still looked big and someone told me oh no honey you look great now look at that pic of you then you were really fat lol the things people say.