Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

READ THIS B4 BEING BANDED...My Experience

I love this site. Everyone here is so real...why can't everyday life be so supportive. Krystal, I am scheduled to be banded on 5/23/07 - North Shore Hospital. Reading your story was helpful. I know that when I can't have something, I crave it more, and I have had more pity parties than I care to admit, but I am learning to cut those shin-dings short. I too will check for you here and I hope that you will check on me.

WasaBubble Butt....you are cool people, that was very kind to open your arms, ears, alright computer (smile) to Krystal....hope you got room, I may be stopping in from time to time too.

I have found that this site has made it a lot easier to admit my faults and ask for encouragement from others to do better in my life. So far so good!:)

:( Today was better than most days. I woke up and started the day off with a bowl (3/4 cup) of Total like yesterday.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I had some butterball turkey with a piece of Colby cheese on it for lunch…it was ok…but didn’t do much for me.:faint: <o:p></o:p>

:hungry: For lunch I had 5 chicken Nuggets…280 Calories for all 5. Not bad when it fills me up….(I still need another fill) Plus they taste really good.<o:p></o:p>

:clap2: I walked 30minutes/1 mile. Then took a good nap! LOL<o:p></o:p>

So this evening I did not want to sit at home while my husband was at work so I decided I should go to the mall and let my daughter play on the playground. Before we went I checked the cals on some of the fast food places in the food court because I knew we were going to end up eating there. I went to SONIC and ordered a KIDS Cheese Burger PLAIN and took off the bun…just ate the burger and cheese…and ate like 6 tator tots. Not bad. I used to order a Double Cheese w/mayo, Large Tots, Mozz Sticks, and popcorn Chicken…I would always order a lot and take the rest home to eat…NOT TODAY!!! Cool part about this too is that I saved SOOOO much money. My daughter had the same thing as me and our total for TWO kid meals was $4.36. NOT BAD!!!:biggrin1: <o:p></o:p>

:D So after eating at the mall I walked the mall a couple of times and let my daughter play in the kids play area too. So im sure I did plenty of walking today.:clap2: <o:p></o:p>

I went into a GNC and was talking to a guy about Protein and he says I should DEFINITELY be having a high protein diet. I keep going back and forth with this. <o:p></o:p>

Dr. says to get it through food. Friends say through food. Some bandsters say have a shake too…and Dr. and Hubby says NO SHAKE. The guy who worked at GNC is a personal trainer and says he suggests a high protein diet to all his clients. He says “What harm can a Protein Shake do you?” True right? I drink a cholcolate Isopure that has 110 cal per serving and 25g of protein. Should I or shouldn’t I. I keep getting a lot of mixed reviews on this but then I keep coming back to what the Dr. said about it. I dunno. I just want to lose some weight. I’m working my but off but getting a very slow response. ANY SUGGESTIONS?<o:p></o:p>

Im posting this in the Foods section because I really need some advice on this.<o:p></o:p>

Ok im off to watch a movie and relax…I’ve had a long night.<o:p></o:p>

How is everyone else doing on their working out? <o:p></o:p>

Hi Krystal,

I found your post really moving, and thought provoking. Your honesty, and reflection on your past year has inspired me to really get my act together too.

I was only banded 3 weeks ago, but its true what you said, its so easy to add a bit of cheese or butter to food etc, and slowly its easy to end up back on an uphill struggle to lose the weight, even with a band.

Thank you for this thread, you are setting an inspiration to us all with your honesty, determination and self belife. I want to wish you success, happiness and health with the 'new you' keep it up Krystal, because were all wanting you to succeed!

sara xx

Wow! I thank you as well for posting your story. We all think the band is the end all be all for us, but it isn't unless we do it right! Good luck and congratulations on your Re-committment to your life!

i liked your post. can you tell me how you are being successful with the band. thanks, soon to be banded. jodeeg

Krystal,

Thanks for sharing your inspiring journey with us all. You have truly motivated me to get my rear in gear. I will be banded in exactly 16 days (yes, you betcha I'm counting)!!, and I wanted to start in right a way with my journey. I have now started back at the gym at my work. I try to do the elipticle 3 nights a week after work for 30 minutes. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays I take dance classes with a friend for two hours each night. It's only been a week (the gym part), but I really do think I have more energy. In 6 days I have to start the liquid diet for 10 days, but for now, I'm just trying to eat healthy (and less portion).

Keep up the great work, I am so proud of you!!

Hi Kyrstal,

I was wondering if you thought about trying a Water aerobics class. I too am over 350 pounds and have trouble with my legs. But the Water aerobics has been a godsend. It makes me feel about 10 years younger and I have alot more energy too. I exercise in the water for about sixty minutes so I know I am burning off some calories. Even if you can get to a pool and just walk in the water that helps too. Thank you for the wonderful posts and your honesty. They are very inspiring to a prebander. :(

Aint't life something (smile) God is awesome..... A situation that has challenged you, has lifted so many people....hooray for you on opening this door of communication.

I really screwed up yesterday and today. I dont even want to do a journal today.

I have not worked out.

Yesterday I redid the flower garden so i considered that my working out. I have to admit i came inside...my feet were KILLING me and i made A HUGE SERVING of RAVIOLI......whats the matter with me?

:cry This weekend has been the hardest.

Today I couldn't hardly walk...i must have pulled a muscle in my left leg yesterday while planting flowers....

I decided I was going to try and walk anyway so i got the dog and went to a Jefferson Barracks Park and tried to walk the trail....i went a quarter of a mile and almost had to crawl back to my van my leg hurt so bad.

I ended up eating Total for Breakfast, 5 chicken Nuggets for lunch, 1 1/2 Tacos for dinner......ramen noodles an hour after dinner...and then some chicken wings.......

WHATS WRONG WITH ME?

:help: I FEEL A REGRESSION.....I CRIED OVER THIS....WHY AM I DOING THIS?

WHY CANT MY BODY TELL ME TO EAT CARROTS INSTEAD OF BAD FOODS?

WORST PART.....I talked to MY BEST FRIEND on the phone and told her i was attempting to stay inbetween 800-1200 cals a day...she almost flipped out and told me i was crazy for keeping it that low and theres no way that should be right. She said it should be good if i stay around 2700 or less. She thinks ive done great with the portion sizes but says im nits to try and do something UNREALISTIC.....:clap2: WAY TO SHOOT ME DOWN SARA!!!!!:angry

OMG....IM GOING TO GO POUT...

TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY...HOPEFULLY I CAN PULL MYSELF BACK UP...:angry

Hello---

Haven't checked in lately....but i found a recipe im trying tonight.... it sounds realllllly good...and its not bad in cals..

<TABLE id=Table1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Potato Lasagna:hungry:

spacer.gif

hl_sun_med.gif

rb_calcium_source.gif

rb_low_calorie.gif

rb_vitamin_a_or_c.gif

rb_generally_nutritious.gif

Recipe Rating: 4.0_stars.gif

Prep Time: 15 min

Total Time: 1 hr 15 min

Makes: 4 servings

Nutrition Information

Ratings and comments

You may also enjoy </TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><SCRIPT language=Javascript>function swapRecipeImage(src){document.images['_ctl0__ctl0__ctl0_ctlRecipeDisplayModuleContainer__ctl3_imgRecipe'].src='images/recipe_images/' + src;}</SCRIPT>Potato_Lasagna.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=clines>spacer.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>1 lb. potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced </TD></TR><TR><TD>1/2 lb. lean ground beef </TD></TR><TR><TD>1/2 cup chopped onion </TD></TR><TR><TD>1 jar (14 oz.) spaghetti sauce </TD></TR><TR><TD>3/4 cup POLLY-O FREE Natural Nonfat Ricotta cheese </TD></TR><TR><TD>1/4 cup KRAFT Reduced Fat Parmesan Style Grated Topping </TD></TR><TR><TD>2 egg whites </TD></TR><TR><TD>1/2 cup shredded POLLY-O Part Skim Mozzarella cheese </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling Water for 5 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, brown meat with onion in large nonstick skillet, stirring occasionally. Drain, if necessary. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet. </TD></TR><TR><TD>MIX ricotta cheese, grated topping and egg whites until well blended. Spoon half of the meat mixture into 8-inch square baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with half of the potatoes; top with layers of the ricotta cheese mixture, remaining potatoes and remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil. </TD></TR><TR><TD>BAKE 50 minutes. Remove foil. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left></FORM><FORM name=NutrioForm action="/main.aspx?s=recipe&m=plans/&u1=keyword&u2=potato lasagna&u3=**1*1" method=post><INPUT type=hidden name=m><!-- No User --></FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>spacer.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>NUTRITION INFORMATION</TD></TR><TR><TD class=clines>spacer.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nutrition Bonus:

Potatoes take the place of Pasta in this great-tasting low calorie meal. As a bonus, the potatoes and spaghetti sauce team up to provide a good source of Vitamin C, and the cheeses provide a good source of Calcium.

Diet Exchange:

3 Starch,3 Meat (L)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD class=textblack colSpan=3>spacer.gifNutrition (per serving)</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifCalories</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifTotal fat</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

g

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifSaturated fat</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

g

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifCholesterol</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

mg

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifSodium</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

mg

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifCarbohydrate</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

g

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifDietary Fiber</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

g

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifSugars</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

g

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifProtein</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

g

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifVitamin A</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

%DV

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifVitamin C</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

%DV

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifCalcium</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

%DV

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc rowSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc colSpan=5>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD width=1 bgColor=#cccccc>spacer.gif</TD><TD>spacer.gifIron</TD><TD align=right>

spacer.gif

%DV

</TD><TD width=1>spacer.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

How did you potato lasgna turn out. Was reading your post from the weekend. Please don't get discouraged. You are inspiring so many people, including myself. Please know howmuch you are helping all of us! Keep up the fabulous work adn know I am praying for your success!!!

How did you potato lasgna turn out. Was reading your post from the weekend. Please don't get discouraged. You are inspiring so many people, including myself. Please know howmuch you are helping all of us! Keep up the fabulous work adn know I am praying for your success!!!

Actually it was really good.

A lot of people disagreed with my choice in the food sections......but it was A nice change from the "HEALTH" foods i've been eating. A lot of people assume you can not have anything with calories.....but this dish "hit the spot" and i still kept my cals under 1000 today...like 950ish actually. I ate a fruit and veggie today....and was able to be full all day on 950 cals. I think using 390 cals in one sitting is not a bad thing....right?

Not bad if you ask me.

I did not get a chance to workout today tho......i will need to make up for this tomorrow.....back on the treadmill i go.

Hey Krystal,

I was banded in July and have only lost about 17 lbs. My doc believes in gradually getting you to the "sweet spot" and it took forever...I think it was January before I felt major restriction. You can imagine my frustration and that all my upmff to lose weight was gone by then. Now I stuggle just like before the band. My diet isn't good and I eat candy almost daily (goes down better than most other foods and i still deal with food as comfort). Anyway, I appreciate your story and I hope one day I'll get there too.

That is ok, that people disagree with your food choice. You have to do what it right for you. My doctor has told me he would rather me eat food I enjoy in small quanties. This is what I do. I am going to try your receipe b/c with my restriction I woudl not be able to eat alot. Pre-banded my husband and I could finish off teh entire pan. You keep up the great work Krystal!!

4/25/07

Whew….totally out of breathe right now while im typing this. I did good today….im proud of myself.

Today’s Meals:

Breakfast: Total Cereal/Skim Milk 150 Cals

Lunch: A serving size og Spaghetti O’s. (not the healthiest…but I was not going to waste what my daughter did not eat) About 240 Cals total for that meal.

Snack- A piece of watermelon….literally just a piece…(wasn’t real hungry)

A 25g Protein shake…..worth about 175 cals after you add the skim milk

Dinner- A chicken thigh in shake n bake…..and some corn. About 450 cals total)

Snack before my 8pm cut off….. I had ONE fudgecicle….its NO SUGAR ADDED and only has 45 cals…MMMMMMMMM YUM

I also had some baked cheetos…..they are lower cal…..but I shouldn’t have had them….so to make up for themi turned on some music and just did the electric slide with my 3 yr old to Sexy Back by JT. LOL….thats why im outta breathe…. I had to burn some extra cals….

Today’s Exercise

I worked out around 1pm today…did 27 minutes on the treadmill….about ¾ a mile…I was really lagging so I went a little slower…..

My friend of 18 years Nick came over and he did the bowflex and I walked another 15 minutes……YAY! So I made my mile mark today after all.

So today my cals came in between 1200-1500 which im fine with. I was able to eat foods I liked and keep the cals low……

I know it seems like I had a lot of junk in my meals today but I think compared to what I used to eat and the lack of exercise ive had….i think I am doing great…and dang it…im going to give myself a pat on my back.

Today I realized that this is going to the longest journey of my life. Probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I also realized that after reading some of the posts about people having problems with their band even years after they have had it scares me. It makes me realize that I need to lose the weight while I can. I need to seize this moment and take it for all its worth because I never know when this band could be taken from me. I could wake up one morning and BAM it has to be removed. I need to get everything I can out of it first. I am going for a fill to give me REAL restriction (because I don’t have much) on May 8th.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO LIVE FOR…..

happy.gif

MY FAMILY!!!!!

I love them and I will succeed for them and for my own well being!!!

Tata for now!

Krystal

Hey Family

It's been a minute since I posted. I have been having a rough time emotionally. Had a bad break up and my TOM. I am doing well haven't had much of an appetite but when I do I eat. The last two days I have made considerably bad choices. Monday I ate rib tips (5) and tuesday night I ate a polish no bread and a couple of fries. Yesterday I got all liquid calories. I haven't been out in awhile and I went with a friend and had a total of 4 beers the entire night. I know my choices were very bad.

I think it is healing to put them down on paper and read them. I will be in the gym double time to clean up what I messed up.

I too love something sweet, but I have my sugar free butterscotch and green apple and jolly ranchers on my desk that I pop in when I fell a craving and they do the trick.

The nutrtionist also said that after I eat my Protein, veggies, and fruit that if I am still hungry and need something salty or sweet that I can have the 100 cal snack portion, but not to eat the whole bag. To be honest I haven't even had a desire to eat them.

Well just thought I would chime in.