Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Opinions Wanted-Went to Informational Meeting

I've been contemplating the lap band. I'm 4'11' and 185. I have a BMI of 38. I went to an informational meeting tonight and I was not impressed. She had zero bedside manner and was condescending at times telling us if you're eating even the food they give you in a restaurant you're eating too much. The surgeon seemed to push the gastric bypas and gastric sleeve. She said with the lap band you have to chew way too much and eat so slowly it's barely possible for people in our society because we take enourmous bites when we should take a bite the size of a pea. Of course, she added, you have to eat slowly with the bypass and sleeve too just not as much. As someone on the other side of this process, what can you tell me, anything? I do not want half my stomach cut out!

First, find another doctor. Yes, we chew a lot. The band is different than the sleeve or bypass in that it dims our need to eat too much. It does not take away our ability to eat too much though. You will need to exercise more control and be more disciplined with the band. Bypass and sleeve force you to eat less since the stomach is so much smaller.

Our stomachs are still the same size beneath the band. If you can't control your cravings, and buy and keep junk food in your house, you will struggle losing weight with the band.

For me, the band almost always reminds me when I've had enough to eat. Oh, I could continue eating more if I choose to, but the taste and need to eat more is so much less now. We like to say the band goes around your stomach, not your head.

If you're a self disciplined individual and feel like all you need is this one tool that gives you the edge, the control over how much you eat, the band can work for you. But not with the doctor you saw. Aftercare is as important as the surgery, maybe more? Don't make a mistake and put your success in the hands of a surgeon who doesn't believe in you or the surgery they perform.

tmf

I totally agree with TMF. I just saw my surgeon again -- a five-minute check-in and quick fill were all that is needed but I love it that he is there for me. On-demand. You definitely want a doctor you like and many surgeons are not cut out for the kind of after-care that a LB surgeon gives.

I chose the band because I did not want anything more drastic. I like it that the band is reversible should that ever be necessary and especially that no part of my stomach has been cut out. For me, the band works great. The dimming of the appetite helps me make good choices. The weight loss is a little slower than it is with a Sleeve, etc., but to me the loss has been very healthy. Just about fifty pounds in six months. I did not anticipate the elation I feel -- the relief of having the appetite monster off of my back is really something. I was not unhappy before but I feel so much more joy and confidence now.

Best wishes to you with whatever you decide. You are choosing yourself and your healthy future -- put yourself first and know that you deserve all good things. That is a very powerful thing.

I agree with TMF and Bandista. Find another Dr. I too, chose the band because it was less drastic. I would also like to add faster isn't always better. It's not a race it's about our individual growth and learning to eat healthier. Yes, you have to take small bites and chew well, but it makes you mindful of what you're putting into your mouth.

The band is high maintenance, but those monthly Dr visits make me feel I have more accountability. It works for me, or I should say its working for me because I haven't met my goal weight yet!

WLS was the best decision I have ever made for myself. I wish you the best of luck in whatever surgery you choose!

Thank you so much for your opinions. There are other surgeons in the practice but I walked away feeling like I have to do all the same work (diet, exercise, etc) so why would I get the lap band. I ask myself, shouldn't I be able to do that anyway? But I have lost and gained the same 20-30 pounds about seven times now. I just can't do it again. Fail, that is. And that 30lbs isn't enough. At my height I really need to get down to 110 which means I need to lose 70 lbs. Heres the real kicker folks, I have a masters in health and fitness. Yep. I do. I KNOW what to do but somehow I can't. I fail. I've been a teacher for the past 17 yrs and that poses it's own challenges.

Let me add one more thing. The surgical practice has a very comprehensive approach with support groups after. I do like that but this surgeon, who's the head of the bariatric dept at the hospital turned me off.

Tyger's Mom- Although, I do not have a Masters in Health & Fitness, I was really well versed in dieting. I lost almost 90 lbs on Atkins, but guess what? I gained it back. It took me awhile and serious health issues to convince me I needed help. That's just what the Band is for me. It's my tool, it helps me stop eating when I listen and it keeps me feeling full.

You're a step ahead with the knowledge you have to be super successful with the proper tool. Just my thoughts. Have a great day!

One of our forum members here has said on several occasions that she had no problem losing weight without WLS, but she always failed at the maintenance part of dieting. WLS helps us to maintain our losses.

Hi Tyger'sMom…I am 2-1/2 yrs post-banding. I too DID NOT want 1/2 my stomach gone or anything "bypassed"; I didn't want anything permanently reconstructed inside me. I too failed so many times and lost the same 30-40 pounds countless times & was at a point that I was so desperate to not fail again. I was a psychological mess from failing so many times & just needed help! I was willing to put in the work, but the "work" just wasn't enough; it just wasn't working.

I opted for the band after a lot of research of all 3 surgeries. I realized that the band was a tool to help me change my way of life…the way I eat, proportions. I too was a diet expert in that I tried and succeeded many times at many different diets, but could never stay on the "diet" forever. I needed a lifestyle change & I needed help with that. I needed to still be able to have a cookie or cupcake or a bite or two of whatever I was craving. Depriving myself just made me not want to stay on whatever diet I was on forever; I needed to learn to be able to have 1-2 oreos instead of half the bag, or 4-8 ounces of food at a time instead of 4 cups of food at a time. I have lost 100 pounds and did so with the HELP of the band, using it as a tool as it was designed. The band is to help you feel full faster and longer, therefore eating less at every meal (and snack). Overeating is where most Americans get into their overweight problems; most Americans overeat (as you know).

Eating slowly & chewing…yes, we have to eat slower than usual and chew more. When I was losing weight (I am now sustaining my weight loss), I used a cocktail fork or baby spoon or fork to take smaller bites & I chew, chew, chew 'til mush. I also do not drink 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating. Other than that, I have no other restrictions. I am able to eat anything I want & did not have the stuck episodes you will read about on this site. I have only been stuck a few times, but none of them caused throwing up, nor were they painful as described by some other people on this site. If your band is appropriately adjusted & you do what you are instructed to do by your doctor...take smaller bites, eat slower & chew chew chew...you won't have any problems. I would rather take the time to make these small adjustments in my life than permanently reconstruct my insides. I will also add, my family eats out a lot & although I was nervous about this in the beginning, I learned I do take longer than everyone else to eat, but I'm not eating as much so it's not like everyone sits around waiting for me to finish.

I was always ok with putting in the effort, the "dieting" and exercising, but I just could not sustain that particular diet and deprivation forever. The band has helped me change my eating lifestyle to moderation, smaller portions. I only eat til I'm NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE, not until I'm FULL!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the doc you had your informational meeting with, & I agree with everyone else…FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. Don't let one dr discourage you from changing your life. I too started with another facility, but was not happy, I switched groups & ended up with the MOST fabulous doctors! I have learned by being in contact with a lot of other banisters that the RIGHT doctor makes a HUGE difference as to whether you will succeed or not. Yes, I have put in all the hard work, but I would not have succeeded without the incredible support of my doctors & their commitment to me to follow up with me regularly every few weeks for the first year, being responsible with EVERY fill they gave me, treating me as an individual and giving me adjustments according to what I needed, not what was the norm for whatever # of fill I was on. After care is HUGE in LapBand success. PLEASE find a good doctor who truly cares for you & what is best for you. I hope I addressed all your concerns. The LapBand truly changed my life & I believe in it…I believe if you are a person who is willing to put in the effort, the LapBand can change your life too!

I see you are in California? Are you in Southern California?

You can learn to eat small bites. I practiced while doing my 6 month diet before surgery. I have used a small fork and plate since then. For a time, I even used a baby fork and spoon. You get used to the small bites. don't let those naysayers persuade you to something you don't want. Best wishes.

You folks are all so wonderful! Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies to my concerns. Since I'm in the 'severely obese' category with a BMI of 38 I'm trying, yet again, to cut the sugar and calories from my life. I am obsessed with food and am now wondering if the Lap Band will take away that feeling of wanting to eat crap whenever I want or am I just doomed since I just read sugar is 8x more addicting than crack!

Amen to the above posts ! I was on Weight Watchers for 1 year, lost 12 whole lbs. Thats it. No more. Lap band is work, but not horribly hard work. It restricts my appetite, but I still have to choose good foods, eat slow , chew well, and exercise min. 3x a week. Lap was an incredible gift to me, as I couldnt lose the weight on my own. Im very grateful, it helped me lose 65 lbs, and im very healthy and happy

Amen to the above posts ! I was on Weight Watchers for 1 year, lost 12 whole lbs. Thats it. No more. Lap band is work, but not horribly hard work. It restricts my appetite, but I still have to choose good foods, eat slow , chew well, and exercise min. 3x a week. Lap band was an incredible gift to me, as I couldnt lose the weight on my own. Im very grateful, it helped me lose 65 lbs, and im very healthy and happy.

I just can not bring myself to do weight watchers again. The counting made me nuts - I became obsessive about it and then if I didn't lose weight I'd just totally go off and eat doughnuts. I'm trying my fitness pal and am logging my food. I am just tired of this all.