Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 months and rocking it out! from Michigan

Wooo to all us michiganders losing tons of weight! And yay to the newbies from muskegon! I workout at Planet Fitness as well. Love it. Best gym around. I even drive there from Spring lake I love it so much. :)

It's been 28 weeks, and I'm down 113 lbs! Can't even believe it!

@@Sarahjane79 --You come to the muskegon PF? Would love to meet up and do a workout with ya! I go almost every day and would happily go twice to meet a bariatric pal buddy! Let me know

@Ccolvin-- How have you been doing? Moving moving forward? Havent seen or heard anything so check in for us. Would love to hear/see how ur doing!!

How uas onedaycloser been doing and wendyt and MImomaof2 and brownj15 and all those others of u out there in MI. Would love to hear from u all! Lets us know whats been going on with your wonderful journey

@@Sarahjane79 --You come to the muskegon PF? Would love to meet up and do a workout with ya! I go almost every day and would happily go twice to meet a bariatric pal buddy! Let me know

I do! I go almost everyday as well! :) I'd also love to meet up and work out! That'd be a good time!

Awesome! When do u usually go? I drop my kids at school and try to hit the gym right after that so about 7:30-8:00. Going today(sat) around 11 though. My daughter is joining me and then we r going shoe shopping. Would love to meet u. I can go just about any time though if i dont have to work. Just let me know.

Awesome! When do u usually go? I drop my kids at school and try to hit the gym right after that so about 7:30-8:00. Going today(sat) around 11 though. My daughter is joining me and then we r going shoe shopping. Would love to meet u. I can go just about any time though if i dont have to work. Just let me know.

I go various times. Depends on when I work. Days I have class, I usually can't go until 2.30. My first class is at 8.30am on mon/wed. We'll have to find a time! I'd love a workout partner! :)

Hey there Michigan peeps! I'm just completing my 6mo supervised diet prerequisite. Anyone here have BCBS MI and had problems getting approval? I'm a 39 BMI with Osteoarthritis as a comorbidity. I'm looking at a Nov surgery date at Beaumont RO. Any advice or experiences would be helpful! It's getting closer and the reality of everything is starting to set in. Thank!

Hello mythreeloves, welcome to the group and congrats on your decision! I did not have bcbs sorry and i didnt have to do 6 month pre diet. I started at a 52 or 53 BMI and I too have severe osteoarthritis due to an accident back on '93. I used to use it as an excuse and thats how i got so big. Now i fight thru it and do all i can. I have other issues with my leg too so its hard for ke to run but i do jog til i cant anymore. This was the best decision i ever couldve made. I wish i had done it years ago. Just stay the course. Its rather easy at first to follow the rules early on but u need to keep yourself in check so u dont slide backwards. We are all here for you. I was excited until the day and then i was just calm. I thought i was gonna freak out but i took it in stride. Just remember why your doing it and it will help u keep focused. Any questions please feel free to ask. We are all here for you. Btw my me is Kim. Im 45 with 4 kids and a grandson. I started at 356 and 8 1/2 months later i am down 129lbs and loving life. Oh! Exercise, exercise, exercise!! Cnjt stress that enough! Where are you from cuz not familiar with Beaumont RO

Thanks for your reply @kimba6999. This was my first post to this site and I'm so glad to see all the welcoming support! I'm in Oakland County and Beaumont is the largest Hospital in the metro Detroit area near me. My dr has told me that I do not necessarily need to lose weight prior to surgery but has encouraged me to start changing habits. The worst habit I am trying to overcome is diet cola. I use it for a jump start in the morning and don't really need it other than that. She said it was acceptable to have some caffeine but to cut the soda completely. Is this because of the carbonation? Just wondering. I'm still a work in progress but sooooo excited to be on this journey!!!

Carbonation id way frowned upon after surgery. It creates gas and bloating. With tye tiny tummy theres no room for carbonation. I do now have a sip every now and then but it does upset my stomach if i have too much. Also pop just is bad for u all tye way around. The diet is even worse cuz of all the fake sugars. They are real bad for u. I dont sugar anything anymore. If i need to sweeten anything i use stevia in the raw. Its one of tye best all naturals on the market right now. Want to stay away from aspertame.

Defintiely changing habits is a neccesity. I started quitting stuff the day after i went to my orientation. Had a mourning period for my stuff then gave it up. Pasta was my huge weakness. Havent had pasta since before surgery and dont really care for it anymore. If i have to have any i use egg noodles. All i can really tolerate. It is the best decision to start eating right now! Many people think that the sleeve will fix ur cravings. Sorry to say but it doesnt. Its just a tool to help u. U still need to do alot of work. I have never worked so hard at anything in my life!

Btw i do know where oakland county is. I drive for a living and go over by detroit and outlying areas at least once a week. Good luck and will happily help when i can.

Mythreeloves, I'm going to hopefully complete my 6 mo diet for BC/BS next Monday at Beaumont also. I am so excited. I also have had a hard time giving up Diet Coke. I used to drink about a 2L a day and now I only have it occasionally when we are out. I am trying to decrease my portion sizes and not drink with my meals. Working great so far. Hopefully we will have surgery about the same time.

I just had plastics at Beaumont RO. I thought they did a good job. I know someone else on here, PixieDust, who also had surgery there. She did fine, though I haven't heard from her in a while. My husband and mother also went there for other various surgeries, with good results. I would go there again, but man, am I glad that reconstructive surgery is behind me! Made the sleeve a walk in the park, and it was hard for me for the first 3-4 weeks. No matter what, I'm still really glad I did all of it, and you will be, too!

As for the 6 month diet, I swear that's just an insurance stall tactic in some cases! I could see 3 months, just to make sure people will follow through. I didn't have a waiting period because my BMI was over 50 (yes, one time it was great to be super fat!) but it still took about 2 months to get things in place. My daughter is also getting the sleeve, and she has to do the 6 months. They told her to lose a pound a month if she could, but I think they also think it's a waste of time. She did give up carbonation, though, and it was really hard for her. I didn't love pop or carbonated beverages, so I haven't really missed it. I really don't miss much at all about that old life!

????

Edited by Mythreeloves

Mythreeloves that really stinks. I know I was shocked when psych told me that she passes less than 50 percent of people on the first time. She said that most people have things that they have to work on before they pass. I would call every day to see if someone cancels an apt. to see if you could get in earlier. Did they tell you what exactly you need to do? I'm sure it's very frustrating, but they just want to be sure that you are totally ready for the new lifestyle.