Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2014 RNY/Bypass Post Op Support Group

Hi all...I had my RNY on May 22 and 6 days post-op I'm feeling fabulous. The first 4 days were pretty rough. I was very sore and it was hard to get my fluids in. Day by day it has gotten so much better. I see the Dr. today for my 1 week follow up and I hope to be given the ok to drive. I start on soft foods next Thursday and I'm really looking forward to that!! I haven't had to give myself insulin since I left the hospital and I'm down 10 lbs since the morning of surgery. This truly is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Welcome ladykatie,

So glad to have someone new join us. It's wonderful to have the support and share our experiences. I had my surgery May 5th and I actually have lazy bowels which makes us have opposite issues. As far as shutting off that valve I am not sure. I have been focused in opening mine (tmi). I am now on duco, Miralax, Metamucil and just finished a prescription strength laxative. Amazingly I am still losing. I have lost 24.2 lbs since the day of my surgery. I am blown away by that amount. The nausea on the other hand I was prescribed the scopolamine patch for behind the ear and the dissolvable Zofran. Usually surgeons will call these prescriptions in without needing to see you. I did notice in the beginning sitting straight up was better when I tried to drink or eat. It helped with nausea/needing to vomit feeling. The Zofran worked pretty quick. I am on the puréed portion of the diet and will go to soft foods in about 8 days. I am 37 years old and live in California. Everybody asks me what do you want to get down to but what I have observed with others having this surgery is there bodies kind of determine that for them if they do all they should. I dunno maybe I'm wrong. I am currently a size 18 bottom and 14/16 top. I really haven't tried to put jeans on yet so I don't know if there looser but I already can see the physical change in myself. Yoga pants are my friend and sun dresses. Hope to learn more about you.

Sincerely,

Angelface811

Lady Kate I was also may 21! I too have diarrhea every day but I am thinking is all the fat leaving my body lol I'm sorry you had such a tough time. Try and hang in there. I would rather have diarrhea than Constipation right now for sure!! I've had that after surgery and it's terrible.. You are not alone and you will soon be so happy again.

Thanks so much for replying ladies! I basically knew what I was getting myself into here and I know I just have to be patient! I also can't complain because I've lost 15lbs already! (one week?!?! whoa!) I've heard of most people being "stopped up" so I was worried that I was just a weirdo with issues. My one week post-op appt with my doc is tomorrow so I'll just be patient and ask him for some nausea meds so help that issue.

Allie - do you also feel hungry often? I'm sure it's probably common but I'm still just learning about my new stomach and not really sure what to do about it. I even feel hungry right after I have a Protein shake or other "full liquids" I can have right now.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do about it? Is it all in my head?

Hello everyone, had surgery on May 22nd and still having issues but working through them. Surgery went well although due to scaring on my pancreas it took over 5 hours. Did not make it to my room until after 7:30 PM. Was in hospital for 3 days as my O2 levels kept dropping. Took CT scan of belly and chest for blood clots but came back fine. Aggravated that they wouldn't take the catheter out till I almost left. I guess things could have been worse. Got home and resting better here. Struggling with this gas pain. Getting food and drink down is going OK but about 5 minutes afterwards, the gas pain returns with vengeance. My intake and Protein is not where it should be. Really was frustrating me and didn't feel like eating or drinking at all. My husband was starting to become concerned about dehydration. Called Nurse and they told me to get some gas-x and walk. Finally got some gas-x and feeling a bit better but still taking slow on drinking/eating. The soreness was not horrendous after surgery, I'm 8 days post op now and not feeling too bad...despite the gas problem.

Hi guys... I've talked to a few of you on the "before" board but I guess it's time to move to "after."

RNY was May 20th. Everything went well and I've been feeling great... until yesterday. I almost fell from feeling faint/weak while making a short walk to the kitchen yesterday afternoon. I went to my bed and didn't do much moving around after that. My legs felt like Jello every time I got up. I didn't sleep at ALL last night. My legs felt restless and I had a lot on my mind. Around 6:00 I got up to take a shower and my legs kept trying to give out on me. I noticed all the veins in my hands are showing, and they look very purple. It's weird. I'm back in bed and crying because I feel weak and miserable and don't know why.

Anyone go through anything similar? I'm freaking out a little bit.

I've been struggling with energy the last few days. I'm getting Protein in and walking at the gym. Yesterday I was do tired I could hardly walk. Doing better today. I guess it's all in the healing process. I did add carbs to my diet. I had mashed potatoes last night and 1/2 banana this am. Maybe that will help. Any suggestions?

Good morning may peeps! I am 9 days post op from band to bypass.. Feeling great and down 20.2 pounds yes I am counting the .2 lol.. I feel great except for a nagging pain on my right side which started a couple days ago. Other than that I'm great! Luckily I am a domestic goddess so stay home lol today I am off to some shopping for friends parties this weekend. I fit into a dress I had bought and couldn't fit into pre surgery woohoo! I just can hardly wait to get into my clothes that I wore before I had to gain the 50 to have the surgery.. Yep I had to gain 50 ugh lol it only took a couple months lol crazy how fast you can gain and how hard it is to lose. I hope everyone is doing well. I am still taking miralax every day and I really am so glad I am.. Have a great weekend my May peeps!

Hey everyone!

I had my surgery 10 days ago. I feel amazing! I started working out on Monday. I got a membership for the 1st time on Wednesday. Yesterday I think I pushed a little too hard at the gym. I walked on the treadmill with a higher incline and walked faster. I didn't feel any problems while doing the workout, but when I got to my car I felt very weak and faint. I came up and relaxed for the rest of the day. I feel much better today. I've had a hard time getting Protein in. I'm still working on that issue. I added PB2 to my Protein shakes which gives me more Protein and Peanut Butter taste(: last weekend was so hard for me with not being able to have "bad" foods. I cannot wait for this coming Tuesday though because I will go to my stage 2 diet! Woot woot!! Overall I feel good! I have lost 27 pounds. I can see I'm leveling off some now. Is that normal? Wednesday I only lost .4 and today I weighed myself and I only lost .2. I'm glad I have lost weight instead of gaining but I just want to make sure this is normal? I hope all of the May gals are doing great! I'm excited on what my life has in store for me!(: Best wishes everyone!

Hello everyone i am 1 week and 5 days post opt and down 25 pounds, besides back pain now im doing great , its glad to be on the looser bench. congrats to you all as well.

Hi guys... I've talked to a few of you on the "before" board but I guess it's time to move to "after."

RNY was May 20th. Everything went well and I've been feeling great... until yesterday. I almost fell from feeling faint/weak while making a short walk to the kitchen yesterday afternoon. I went to my bed and didn't do much moving around after that. My legs felt like Jello every time I got up. I didn't sleep at ALL last night. My legs felt restless and I had a lot on my mind. Around 6:00 I got up to take a shower and my legs kept trying to give out on me. I noticed all the veins in my hands are showing, and they look very purple. It's weird. I'm back in bed and crying because I feel weak and miserable and don't know why.

Anyone go through anything similar? I'm freaking out a little bit.

YES! The exact same things but I just can't walk outside at all because it feels SOOOO HOT and I sweat and pant like a dog. The veins in the shower thing, I noticed that too but I think it's just the warm Water bringing up the blood and stuff. I don't think that is abnormal.

I know I'm not getting enough Protein because every Protein Drink or powder just makes me nauseous. Luckily I haven't thrown it up or anything so I'm getting the Protein, it's just really unpleasant. And I'm still only getting about 30g-40g a day and I need to be getting 60g-80g a day. Every day it's a constant struggle especially since I'm still on the liquid part of the diet.

Sigh! It's so frustrating!

Hello Everyone!

I had my surgery May 9th. My pre-op weight was 270.5, day of surgery 263.5 and today I'm at 246.2. I am glad I've been reading these posts so that I can be a little more realistic with my expectations. I really wanted the weight to just fall off. One thing that was really hard was being hungry all the time. I went into surgery hungry....came out hungry...and went home hungry! That lasted about 2 weeks+ afterwards. I'm finally at a point where I can stop thinking about it. I still crave everything! I have had to make some tough choices to eat something at home instead of giving into the cravings! But I haven't given in so I guess that's progress right? Now, if I could only get my lazy butt to exercise! I know it would only help the weight to come off. I've never liked to exercise and that hasn't changed! So, with that being said, I'm going to put some clothes on and go for a walk! Have a great day!

Hello everyone... I had surgery on may 19.. I feel pretty good .. I have to make more of an effort to get my Protein Shakes in-i need to get my Protein in!! On Monday I get to go to pureed foods.. Looking forward to that !!! I'm getting my walks in.. And Im pretty good with my water... Although we all could use more !!, but I feel like I constantly have a glass of Water at my mouth !!! No problems with nausea.. Thank goodness !! So far so good !!! I've lost 20 lbs the week following surgery.. Can't complain about that !!!!

I have been doing my 30 minute walks everyday but I live in a desert. Yep nearing 100 degrees. So I started back on my Leslie Sansone walking videos. You actually burn a bit more calories than just straight walking. I have been doing the mile and 2 mile workouts. I highly recommend these. I will gradually work up to my more difficult videos. Then back to my workout classes. I can't do 60 minutes of Zumba at this point...lol. That's the plan. As soon as I can lift weights I'm working on these arms.

I still cannot work out. I live in a desert as well, every time I go out during the day I'm sweating and panting like a dog. It's horrid. But I know it would be better if I could get my damn Protein in!!! (excuse my French) It's been the biggest struggle for me. Today I mixed my unflavored Protein Powder into cranberry juice (sugar free, light, etc.) and it tasted good but I could smell the Protein Powder. It literally smells like baby formula. It's so disgusting. I'm still choking it down but so far no nausea, just fullness. COME ON POUCH I NEED MY PROTEIN!!!

Sigh. I hope I'm not the only one dealing with these issues.

I bought the banana cream GNC whey Protein the advanced one which is really good. I put 3 scoops in 8 oz of unsweetened almond milk, 2 orange rise Walmart crystal light packs and shake it up.. Add ice and it's delicious. Orange banana shake and it's 60 grams of protein takes me about an hour to two to drink it but I get all my protein in..