Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2014 RNY/Bypass Post Op Support Group

Yes I'm still on Clear Liquids I'm hoping my nurse calls me today to give me the ok on Protein shakes. I'm getting nauseous drinking the broth and Jello so I'm only drinking Water and crystal light and popsicles. The thought of broth makes me sick. I don't feel hungry at all. Do you?

Not really hungry but would love to add some cream of chicken Soup or Tomato Soup to my diet .

I am not hungry. I ended up writing a schedule so I know I can fit in meals, Vitamins, and medicines. The carafate is the worst since I can't take it 1 hour before meals and 2-3 hours after meals.

Getting fluids in is tough. I have my sippy that I keep filled and try really hard to get my fluids in.

Edited by hgielrehtaeh

I am not hungry. I ended up writing a schedule so I know I can fit in meals, Vitamins, and medicines. The carafate is the worst since I can't take it 1 hour before meals and 2-3 hours after meals. Getting fluids in is tough. I have my sippy that I keep filled and try really hard to get my fluids in.

I m not a fan of the carafate either! But I m going to follow the rules as I'm sure you re since it's so important in the very beginning. I have been fortunate un taking in 2 liters per day . Keep up the good work .. The fluids definitely make you feel better .

Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like it! But I am getting it in. Good luck to you!

Way to go! I'm getting nervous for my surgery on May 12th. How many nights were you in the hospital for?

0nly 2 nights and I think those nights were necessary! But always good to be home :)

I'll be on my way home tonight. I wonder how I'll get all my fluids in. They said I can start Protein Shakes tomorrow so I'm happy about that . I'm supposed to try to eat a small bit of an egg next Friday before I see my dr in follow up, if it goes down ok he will advance my diet Friday. I feel really swollen and bloated, I'll be glad when that goes away.

I'll be on my way home tonight. I wonder how I'll get all my fluids in. They said I can start Protein Shakes tomorrow so I'm happy about that . I'm supposed to try to eat a small bit of an egg next Friday before I see my dr in follow up, if it goes down ok he will advance my diet Friday. I feel really swollen and bloated, I'll be glad when that goes away.

Congrats on going home safely! Big steps is now behind you. The bloating is normal .. To get rid of it , it helps to walk around the house or yard so that you can start passing gas! The fluids are manageable. Y ou can do it just remember how far you've come. You need to flush out those ketones that you are producing as you burn up fat. The fluids will help to keep you energized and will flush those ketones out of your system. You'll be great! Let us know how you are doing! Good luck!

Way to go! I'm getting nervous for my surgery on May 12th. How many nights were you in the hospital for?

Hello I am also scheduled May 12th in CA.

Hello I am also scheduled May 12th in CA.

Hey good luck! Enjoy the narcotics in the hospital ! They really help you work through it . Let us know how you are doing !!!

Surgery was Wednesday.

Recovery (so far) has been up eventful. Very little pain.

It is a challenge to get 100 oz of fluids in, but you deal with it.

My only note is that the upper left part of my stomach has swollen with to the size of half a baseball. Doc wasn't concerned but I didn't ask how long before it subsides.

PS...remember Rule no. 3 for life after 50: Never, ever, trust a fart!

Surgery was Wednesday. Recovery (so far) has been up eventful. Very little pain. It is a challenge to get 100 oz of fluids in, but you deal with it. My only note is that the upper left part of my stomach has swollen with to the size of half a baseball. Doc wasn't concerned but I didn't ask how long before it subsides. PS...remember Rule no. 3 for life after 50: Never, ever, trust a fart!

Love the after 50 rule Magellan! Especially after this surgery . Happy that you are pain free. My suggestion would be to walk around in an effort to pass gas and see if your little baseball fades away . Keep up the great work . And keep us up with your progress!

I'll be on my way home tonight. I wonder how I'll get all my fluids in. They said I can start Protein shakes tomorrow so I'm happy about that . I'm supposed to try to eat a small bit of an egg next Friday before I see my dr in follow up, if it goes down ok he will advance my diet Friday. I feel really swollen and bloated, I'll be glad when that goes away.

Congrats on going home safely! Big steps is now behind you. The bloating is normal .. To get rid of it , it helps to walk around the house or yard so that you can start passing gas! The fluids are manageable. Y ou can do it just remember how far you've come. You need to flush out those ketones that you are producing as you burn up fat. The fluids will help to keep you energized and will flush those ketones out of your system. You'll be great! Let us know how you are doing! Good luck!

Thanks Cookie. Well I tried the Protein shake this morning and it didn't go to well, I felt really sick, the smell and taste didn't sit well so I only got an ounce down and went back to bed. That was at 5 this morning. So I'm gonna try again. My stomach is growling and making weird noises lol. Pain is not too bad today.

Thanks Cookie. Well I tried the Protein Shake this morning and it didn't go to well, I felt really sick, the smell and taste didn't sit well so I only got an ounce down and went back to bed. That was at 5 this morning. So I'm gonna try again. My stomach is growling and making weird noises lol. Pain is not too bad today.

Jolene, I am using Bariatric Advantage high Protein Meal Replacement. I got a vanilla base so that later on I could add any other fruit to it. For now, I am adding Hershey's cocoa unsweetened powder. Also the nutrionist recommended to only use 1 scoop of the Protein Powder immediately post op in 8 oz of skim milk and I add 1 tsp of the cocoa powder. They felt that using 2 scoops would be too thick! I hope you feel better soon!! Take care and get some rest.

Thanks Cookie. Well I tried the Protein shake this morning and it didn't go to well, I felt really sick, the smell and taste didn't sit well so I only got an ounce down and went back to bed. That was at 5 this morning. So I'm gonna try again. My stomach is growling and making weird noises lol. Pain is not too bad today.

Jolene, I am using Bariatric Advantage high Protein meal replacement. I got a vanilla base so that later on I could add any other fruit to it. For now, I am adding Hershey's cocoa unsweetened powder. Also the nutrionist recommended to only use 1 scoop of the protein powder immediately post op in 8 oz of skim milk and I add 1 tsp of the cocoa powder. They felt that using 2 scoops would be too thick! I hope you feel better soon!! Take care and get some rest.

I did a little better although I only got about 4 ounces of the Protein Shake down all day. I did ok with Water and actually ate a yogurt. So baby steps I know each day gets better. I took no pain meds today.

I did a little better although I only got about 4 ounces of the Protein shake down all day. I did ok with Water and actually ate a yogurt. So baby steps I know each day gets better. I took no pain meds today.[/quote

Baby steps ;) you're doing great Jolene!