Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2014 RNY/Bypass Post Op Support Group

I had my surgery on May 9th. I'm doing very well except for the fact that I am STARVING! I was hungry before the surgery and I still am. That's a little disheartening considering I expected to have little to no appetite. I feel like I could eat a solid meal without a problem. Waaaahhh!

I also get hungry often. I am still eating very little calories. I have 8 ounces of Protein shake made with Water, can of Soup with unflavored Protein powder, 1-2 sf puddings with added Protein Powder and 1-2 sf Popsicles, and another shake at night. This just seams like a lot, but I'm still losing.

Adubs2014, What are you eating?

Im glad to hear that everyone is doing great and recovery so well I am on day 3 of my pre liquid diet and surgery is Monday, 5 more days until I join you all. Yippie.

My surgery was 5/9, I'm getting my Protein in but only about 32 oz of Fluid total per day. I feel like I'm drinking constantly but I'm no where near the quantities I see some of you posting. Yesterday I had one 12 oz Protein Shake, 50 g protein, managed to squeeze in 5 oz of Greek yogurt through the day, 12 g protein, and a second 3 oz of protein shake, 12 g protein, and 17 oz plain Water. My stomach doesn't feel like it can take more!

Any suggestions on getting in more fluid? I realized prior to surgery that I don't drink as much normally as I see most peoole drink. I'm not taking in any empty calories, everything has to count!

My surgery was 5/9, I'm getting my Protein in but only about 32 oz of Fluid total per day. I feel like I'm drinking constantly but I'm no where near the quantities I see some of you posting. Yesterday I had one 12 oz Protein Shake, 50 g protein, managed to squeeze in 5 oz of Greek yogurt through the day, 12 g protein, and a second 3 oz of protein shake, 12 g protein, and 17 oz plain Water. My stomach doesn't feel like it can take more! Any suggestions on getting in more fluid? I realized prior to surgery that I don't drink as much normally as I see most peoole drink. I'm not taking in any empty calories, everything has to count!

Jamie ,

My MD advised me to remain on liquids until my 2 week post op check. I Was also told that during this time that if I could get 35 gms of protein in, that this would be sufficient. So I am drinking water, Gatorade ( G2), milk, protein shake with 10 oz of skim milk, soups( heart healthy and low sodium) e.g cream of mushroom Soup with the soup strained for any pieces and I can have one cup of coffee in the morning. I am typically taking in 2500 cc per day but nothing semi soft/ or formed. This might be why you are not able to get in all the liquids. Hope this helps.

I'm following my doctor's food plan. I'm fortunate to be going through a long established bariatric center with very detailed & specific instructions. My first day & a half out of the hospital I followed their clear liquid diet, that consisted of a clear, fruit flavored Protein Drink & Water. I then moved to their 'full liquid' diet that I'll be on for seven days. This requires 60g of Protein per day. I can have Protein Shakes, skim milk (although I haven't tried that), broth, low fat Greek yogurt, flavored water....My primary goal is to get in my protein since. I want to give my muscles the best chance of healing & save my hair! It's certainly a process of learning how to do this. Without experiencing hunger at all, it's just a chore to keep drinking. As the rumbling & gas decrease it's becoming easier. I pushed myself a bit more yesterday and managed to do better with my total Fluid intake. Tonight I have to attend a show we already had tickets for, I'm hoping if I can bind up my abdomen and rely on some pillows for support, I'll tolerate the drive! It's amazing how rough the roads are! I never noticed before this!

I had my surgery May 9th. Just starting my full liquid diet per Kaiser. Protein shakes, mashed potatoes, creamy Soups. Feeling a little better. I still get light headed when I walk, so I try to keep them short. Water is very hard to keep drinking. The metallic taste in my mouth is finally subsiding.

My surgery was May 8th. I had my 1 week post op appt yesterday, I am down 8 pounds, that's a pound a day. I lost 13 lbs on the pre op so 21 pounds in 3 weeks. I've been advanced to soft/smooth foods. So now I can have tuna, canned chicken, Beans etc. I feel so good, besides not eating much I barely even feel like I had surgery !! No pain, never had nausea really. I'm walking 2 miles a day now. My energy is better, feeling really positive!

Wow joleneB that's awesome!! I had bypass May 5th and I am still very sore. I have 4 incisions which I am really happy about. I have been walking 30 minutes a day since the hospital. Getting in all Protein and liquid but my doctor doesn't advance us to soft foods until 4 weeks post opt. They will advance me to puréed food this week for 2 weeks. I am down 19.5 pounds since the surgery which I didn't expect. I didn't have my first BM (tmi) for almost 12 days. I get better every day but I think I heal a little on the slow side.

Wow joleneB that's awesome!! I had bypass May 5th and I am still very sore. I have 4 incisions which I am really happy about. I have been walking 30 minutes a day since the hospital. Getting in all Protein and liquid but my doctor doesn't advance us to soft foods until 4 weeks post opt. They will advance me to puréed food this week for 2 weeks. I am down 19.5 pounds since the surgery which I didn't expect. I didn't have my first BM (tmi) for almost 12 days. I get better every day but I think I heal a little on the slow side.

Angelface, those are great numbers!! I was hoping for more but I'll take the 8. I have 6 incisions, luckily they are all small I'll be glad when they are all healed. I had tuna with lowfat mayo last night, it was so good to taste something with texture! I'm on this soft/smooth diet until my one month follow up then I'll move on to regular foods. Well if we are talking TMI I've had 3 this week lol! What is sore is it your incisions or your pouch?

I had my 2 week post-op follow up this past Friday and the doc cleared me for 'mushy' foods. I was so excited, but I definitely either overdid it or ate something that didn't agree with me. I think I experienced my first 'dumping' experience last night and I pray to god that's the last. I spent 4 hours with my stomach having fits. I vomited 4 times and had the chills so bad, I thought I had the flu. Finally, I was able to sleep and felt better this morning, but I've learned that I've got to take this really slow.

I had my 2 week post-op follow up this past Friday and the doc cleared me for 'mushy' foods. I was so excited, but I definitely either overdid it or ate something that didn't agree with me. I think I experienced my first 'dumping' experience last night and I pray to god that's the last. I spent 4 hours with my stomach having fits. I vomited 4 times and had the chills so bad, I thought I had the flu. Finally, I was able to sleep and felt better this morning, but I've learned that I've got to take this really slow.

Aww that sucks. What did you eat? This is all a process. Glad your feeling better. Tomorrow I'm 1 week post op.

Hi everyone! I had RNY May 12th. I am tired all the time too but I am back to work working 12 hour shifts so that may be part of it. Also I had rotator cuff surgery 7 weeks before and not healed from that. I am afraid to eat. I don't know when I'm hungry and I am worried I will get sick off of everything. It's pretty frustrating to try to talk my self thru this. Anyone else experience this?

Sherbear911

Aww that sucks. What did you eat? This is all a process. Glad your feeling better. Tomorrow I'm 1 week post op.

Yeah!!!! Is everything going ok? I had some hummus with garlic and then I tried an avocado......it'll be a while before I do those again.

Yes all is good. I'm a little worried about my incision sites. They are very sore and one is open. I have to pack it with gauze every day. They told me it needs to heal from the inside out. I am going to try sleeping in my bed for the first time tonight. I've been sleeping in the recliner as it was so much more comfortable. I'll find out Tuesday at my first follow up.