Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone eating food before they were supposed to? Or drink before or after eating? I have. Now, I am getting nervous

Hello. This is my first post. I am two days shy of being three weeks post op. I should be eating Phase 2 foods. I have had pot roast, shaved chicken breast and a one egg omelet with cheese. Yesterday, I also had a few sips of wine.

I also tend to drink a sip or two before and after meals.

Is there anyone who has done this? What was the outcome/

I know I shouldn't be but I keep doing it.

My days consist of: 1 Isopure drink (Breakfast), 1 yogurt for (lunch) and usually an egg and cheese omelet. Nut i had pot roast yesterday.

Thank you all.

You need to figure out why you're doing this.

Basically, you could seriously harm yourself when you're not healed and eating this way. Your staple line is still healing. You're playing with fire.

I have been so hungry. I eat a can of Soup, 1 Greek yogurt, and 3 popsicles a day. I try to drink the Protein Drinks but I can't stomach them. I want sooo bad so fries, chicken, or eggs SOMETHING. I am still on liquids. I'm 12 days post op and it seem like a month. Fluids really bothers me. I only lost 7lbsand have no energy. BUT no PAIN! Please give me some tips. Thanks

Yes. Playing with fire. It's not that you might get sick or your stomach won't digest the food. It's the fact that your stomach is healing. Eating the foods before the staples and stomach wall have healed can cause food to get stuck, GERD, vomiting which can lead to too much acid in the new stomCh, ulcers, holes/leaks in the stomach. Have you read any of the forums of the people who have had to deal with the complications? You are a grown person, so only you can decide how to treat your body. Just be aware of the harm you could do to yourself. Not to mention sabotaging the very expensive new tool you just bought to help you get healthy.

I have been so hungry. I eat a can of Soup, 1 Greek yogurt, and 3 popsicles a day. I try to drink the Protein drinks but I can't stomach them. I want sooo bad so fries, chicken, or eggs SOMETHING. I am still on liquids. I'm 12 days post op and it seem like a month. Fluids really bothers me. I only lost 7lbsand have no energy. BUT no PAIN! Please give me some tips. Thanks

Patience.

I have been so hungry. I eat a can of Soup, 1 Greek yogurt, and 3 popsicles a day. I try to drink the Protein drinks but I can't stomach them. I want sooo bad so fries, chicken, or eggs SOMETHING. I am still on liquids. I'm 12 days post op and it seem like a month. Fluids really bothers me. I only lost 7lbsand have no energy. BUT no PAIN! Please give me some tips. Thanks

I think you'll feel better at purée stage. Just hang in there little longer.

Can you do Jello yogurt, etc?

We are all hungry. I'm on the full liquid phase, too. Except I'm not allowed yogurt, yet. I also cannot stomach the Protein Shakes. I add half a scoop of unflavored protein to my soup (after heating it). That's about the only protein I get besides the soup itself. Your lack of energy is probably bec of the lack of protein. I was like that, too. Once I started adding some to my soup, I had a little more pep in my step. You will also stall if you are dehydrated. Try flavored waters. One girl I know swears by sugar-free sonic slushes to which she adds protein. I'm tempted to try it but scared because I dont know if that will break my NUT plan. Good luck! Get some Water and protein and that 7 (great job on that!) will turn to 17 in no time!

Try your best to do a real, honest head-check, especially where wine is concerned. I don't know if alcohol is an issue for you (it is for me) but you must be very careful. Especially so early. I drank wine at 5 weeks out and regret it. At only 12 weeks, it continues to be a problem for me and always will be. In addition, it greatly slows the rate of loss for a variety of reasons.

It is very early on for you to be on this slippery slope. But if you are not able to control what you eat, at least chew things to an absolute mush consistency as much as possible and avoid wine. Tell yourself it will still be there, and you can have it down the road.

I am a few days shy of 5 weeks and I have a hard time with soft foods. I am going between Soup and little amts of soft food but It's hard to swallow. And I am one that has a hard time with not drinking after a meal. I need to do better.

Anyway, be careful. Watch what you eat and take your time with eating.

You really need to figure out why you are doing this to yourself. Being successful with this surgery is way more mental than physical. There are lifetime changes you have to be willing to make. Besides all the physical and medical reasons of why you shouldn't be eating and drinking this way so soon, it is concerning that if you are willing to sabotage yourself now, what will you be doing 6 months or a year out when you have much less restriction? Do you have a therapist or support group through your surgeon? Have you had counseling over issues you may have with food and alcohol? I don't mean to sound harsh, and of course I don't know anything about your personal history, so I can only base my reply on the information in your OP.

I know how you feel, I was the same way. I made a post very similar to yours (minus the wine), and got a host of replies telling me that what I was doing was dangerous and basically getting on to me for not having more discipline. It kind of hurt my feelings, but I got over that and realized that they weren't just being mean, they had a point. I went back to my basic diet of Protein drinks and what my plan said I could have, and I have had no problems. I must say though, that my sleeve hasn't given me any nausea or pain or any problems with any food I've eaten to this point. (Except for a short lived stomach virus I had with nausea and diarrhea starting at 4am a few weeks ago. It wasn't food related.)

The time will pass quickly, and you will be able to eat a lot more normally, but of course, a lot less.

I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to reach out to us share with us what your struggles are ......look to us for support......we have all been there and although it sounds like we're judging you we are not.....we are trying to protect you protect you from damaging your sleeve....hurting your goals and more importantly we want to support you in your journey..... thank you for sharing...you will never be alone in this.

Sheldon

I want to clarify my previous post. I wasn't trying to be mean to you. I just don't want anything to hurt your chances at success. Not just that, I don't want you to hurt your sleeve. I am terrified of anything doing more damage to my insides than has already been done. Everyone here is here to provide support.

Thank you all. I do not feel that you are being mean. I am grateful that I have this forum. I was wondering if there was anyone else who has done this and if so the outcome.

I had a few sips of wine at a fundraiser. I am more concerned with eating food that I shouldn't be. Since I know being obese is a disease of the mind for me, I am very conscious of the changes I need to make for long term success and he fact that I am non-compliant now scares me.

I am in therapy to address these and other issues.

I guess at times I get so hungry or thirsty that I think "oh, what could happen?"

On a positive note, in 20 days I went from 216 to 194.6. Almost 22 pounds!

Thank you again for the support and I hope I could use this forum as a place to help me on my journey.

NMR

Edited by nmr