Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I just found out today that I will get my band on June 1st!!! My family is going on a cruise July 1st, so I have been pushing to get everything taken care of in time to be banded June 1st. I hope I'm able to eat some semi-normal foods when I'm one month post-op. My Dr. requires 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies, then start adding other foods slowly. Hopefully, I'll be able to enjoy some of the "cruise food."

It is so strange how different doctors require different diets. I understand the two weeks pre-op Protein shakes to reduce the size of your liver and makes the operation easier and safer. But why would some docs require 2 weeks post-op liquids and other docs require 4 weeks? Any ideas? I'm inspired by those of you who have been exercising-I just haven't been able to get myself going! Maybe soon!

Hello people! I got my band planned for June 28th by Dr Drahn in san bernardino. I am really looking forward for this. I have not started my real pre op diet yet, however I have been watching what I eat and am trying to eat less and less everyday. I will start my strict pre op diet may 25 (2pro shakes and 1 meal 4-6oz lean meat and 1/2 cup of greens a day) In the mean time I have been going to the gym a few times a weeks and eating more veggies. And it seems to be working I am down almost 20lbs and still droping. I am going to try and post what I eat like you guys have been doing. I think it will help and keep me from cheating. well I hope you all the best and look forward to hear how everyoine is doing.

Hi everyone! Welcome to the newcomers!

I've been pretty responsible with my diet since Saturday, but I haven't been getting a lot of exercise -- I've been on a deadline for work and pretty much haven't left my desk. I hope to get my ass back to the gym tomorrow or the next day.

Lisa, I agree that it is odd how different many of the pre-op/post-op diets are. Pre-op I will be on a four day liquid diet and then post op I have 4 days of Clear Liquids, 2 weeks of full liquids, and 2 weeks of mushies. One would think that there would be a standard procedure to follow, but I guess every doctor is different.

How is everyone else doing?

Hello Junies!

The site has been hopping. My husband finally watched the video, emmi that my doctor requires both myself and spouse to view. It goes through the process,the risks, plan and future. My husband's worry now has me worried. I wish he would understand more. He is supportive in most ways but his worry is making me nervous. Any ideas? He is thin, always thin, and thinks you can be thin with discipline. We have only been married 5 years,and he does not know me that long of the years of dieting, yoyo my entire life. I am hoping our visit with the doctor next week will be helpful to both of us.

Crabby,

I read your list of all the appointments and clearances you went through, and with my first doctor visit being May 21 with surgery June 7. I have had some of them and have a physical next week and an appointment with a dietician and a support group. I am worried that I have not been asked to get some of that done. what is an endoscopy? I had a heart rythem issue in November, first experience ever( I have normal blood pressure) and all the tests that the doctors completed at home showed nothing. I explained all this to the physician assitant when I went in March and no other tests were scheduled. I guess I am worried now that when I see the doctor on May 21, he will postpone the date until it is done, but the other part of me says they know what they are doing. Right?

Nina you are doing great on exersice, i wish I could do that good. I use to be a gym nut, which kept my weight down some, but since I had not changed my eating habits completely, I maintained the weight, but when I stopped going to the gym, the extra 30 lbs just exploded on me! Not hard at age 48!

Lisa, my date is June 7 and have my son's wedding on July 7. I am too interested to see what I will be eating, but due to the different doctor's plans, I most likely will be on soft, mushies.

Enjoy the sunshine and walk if you can!

Janine

Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I just found out I'm approved today... if I wasn't going to Las Vegas the last week of this month I could have gotten banded in May. Oh well.

I go for my pre-op EKG and labs on Friday 5/18. Should get my surgery date that day.

I'm sooo excited!

Hey Junies!

A big Welcome to the newbies.

I've been "kinda" good these past few days. I did good at the wedding on Saturday. Ate healthy but did have 2 rum/diet pepsi. That's the first soda I've had all week. And that's good for me as I can normally drink a liter a day!

Number 2 (out of 3) Life Skills class done tonight. And tomorrow night is my sleep study. For the record can I say how much I'm NOT looking forward to that?

Janine, an endoscopy is when they take a look at your stomach via your mouth/throat. I have a lot of heartburn or GERD and the doctor wanted to make sure I didn't have an ulcer. (I don't so I'm clear with that.)

Is a heart rythem like palpatations? If so then yes, I've had them but I have already been cleared by the heart doctor. Can you talk to your doctor(s) and ask if this might be a problem and could it possibly delay your surgery? It's worth a try, right?

Lisa, my doctor only requires a 48 hour clear liquid diet before surgery. Then another 48 hour clear liquid diet after surgery. And I agree; there doesn't seem to be a standard guide line for the lap-band.

Must get to bed, the alarm goes off mightly early in the morning.

Thank care all,

Marie

suzzie,

I go for my pre-op endoscopy, and maybe labs too (if insurance paperwork is there by then) on friday the 18th!!! I hope to get my surgery date then too!

evilah

Hi All!!!

Today is my pre-op physical and testing! I am so nervous!!! Nervous because I gained weight since my last appointment 6 weeks ago :youcandothis: I'm sure I'm up between 6-10 pounds. I tried last week to lose it and lost 6, then just gave up, except for exercise, since Friday. Gosh I hope that doesn't post pone surgery. I'm also nervous because of the pre-op testing. I was told I would have an x-ray, ekg, and blood work. If that's all, I'm ok with that, but if I have to have an endoscopy, I'm WORRIED about that! I've had a lot of acid reflux over the years and am worried there will be a problem!!! I know...if there's a problem, it's a good thing to find out now. Anyway...I'll post when I get back...

Lisa: Yeah, I don't get all the pre-op/post-op diet differences. It's really weird how widely it varies from one surgeon to another. Sometimes I read about other's diets and get jealous! hahaha!

Ja9va: I just watched my emmi this past weekend too! It wasn't anything new to me, but it's GREAT info for the family, since a lot of them don't understand it. I have family members that don't understand this either, they also think it's just a matter of discipline. Well, now we're going to have help acheiving discipline! Yay!

Crabby: good luck with your sleep study! I wouldn't look forward to that either! Hopefully it goes by quicly for you.

musicalmomma,

How did your tests go today? I emailed my surgical coordinator asking about all the pre tests and she said all doctors are different and if I did not have chronic problems then the doctor would not order them. I will see on Monday what the doctor tells me. I am anxious to have that visit! After I meet with the doctor I go to an informational class, dietary class and behavior modification class. They say I will be there from 3-8 PM. My husband is required to attend too, which I am glad so he can hear the information as well. Then on Thursday, May 24, I go back for my pre-registration, lab work and physical. It mentions nothing about tests. My surgery is at 2 PM on June 7, so I am not sure if I am spendig the night or not?? What did your doctor say today?

Under the surgery information it says not to eat or drink after midnight like any other procedure, so I will be interested to hear on Monday if I have to be on a liquid diet for a week prior. If not, I will ask the theory behind it and why other doctors do it?? I dont' want him to nick an organ! I to feel like I have gained weight, maybe I am trying to eat what ever since my life will change, I still eat healthy and don't go nuts.

Hello to all other june bandsters! I am glad we have each other to chat with through our process.

Janine

June 15th for me!!! :faint:If my daughter wasn't getting married June 2nd, I could've done it on the 1st.

Well -- I'm glad to be a part of your group!!! It seems like a great place to be!

Hi everyone ;)

I have my final appointment tomorrow with surgeon before big day on June 1st... am kind of worried about all these pre-op tests that everyone seems to have to do??? I had some bloodwork done a couple of months ago and that's it... I wonder if the surgeon is going to spring all this other testing on me tomorrow? Or maybe it's an insurance reqirement (I'm self pay)?

Offically start pre-op diet Friday but have been trying to make better choices with food etc for the last couple of months and think like a bandster (chew, chew, chew :hungry: ). Have had varying results but aren't going to beat myself up over it... hopefully the band will make it a bit easier!

Accountability: Just finsihed 60mins on the treadmill of brisk walking at 6.6km/hr with 3 5 minute bursts of running at 8.5km/hr... I am stuffed!

Hope everyone else has a great day

Hi Everyone,

KT -- I'm a self-pay, too. I only have to have labs done, which you would need before any surgery. Ask your doctor, but you probably won't need any other pre-op tests. The only benefit to self-pay is not having to jump through all the hoops. I don't know if that makes me feel better about spending $15,000, but it takes away a little bit of the pain!

Accountability: I've been good with the food, eating very well and keeping track of it all on fitday.com. I haven't gotten any exercise in the last 2 days (work has been very busy) but I have it scheduled in my day tomorrow! At least when I have the surgery, I will be able to take a break from my job for a week or 2!

musicalmomma,

How did your tests go today? I emailed my surgical coordinator asking about all the pre tests and she said all doctors are different and if I did not have chronic problems then the doctor would not order them. I will see on Monday what the doctor tells me. I am anxious to have that visit! After I meet with the doctor I go to an informational class, dietary class and behavior modification class. They say I will be there from 3-8 PM. My husband is required to attend too, which I am glad so he can hear the information as well. Then on Thursday, May 24, I go back for my pre-registration, lab work and physical. It mentions nothing about tests. My surgery is at 2 PM on June 7, so I am not sure if I am spendig the night or not?? What did your doctor say today?

Under the surgery information it says not to eat or drink after midnight like any other procedure, so I will be interested to hear on Monday if I have to be on a liquid diet for a week prior. If not, I will ask the theory behind it and why other doctors do it?? I dont' want him to nick an organ! I to feel like I have gained weight, maybe I am trying to eat what ever since my life will change, I still eat healthy and don't go nuts.

Hello to all other june bandsters! I am glad we have each other to chat with through our process.

Janine

The tests went fine. I didn't feel well last night...and today had a low grade fever...SO, my white cell count is up...SO I have to go to my PCP and get him to check me over and clear me for surgery. They're afraid I have an infection of some kind. I had blood work, and EKG, and a chest xray.

The doc said I'll be in over night. My surgery is at 2pm and they said I'd go home some time the next day. I'm sure you'll get more detailed info at your appointment pre-op appointment.

Hey musicalmomma, my fingers and toes are crossed that you will be OK and surgery will proceed as expected... I'm pleased that all other tests went well.

I will be in hospital for 2 nights... have to be at hospital at 7.00am on Friday 1st then surgery is scheduled for 10am... I can leave at lunchtime Sunday.

Thanks Lucy... must be an insurance requirement after all... got a bit worried there for a minute :-)

Had a good day eating and excercise today until..... mother came over with bottle of sparkling wine and said "here's to the last time you can have this!!!!" Not sure if that's excellent support or just kinda wrong!!! Anyway... feel good at the moment :-)

Musicalmomma,

I am sorry to hear that, and wish you luck with the blood tests. I will keep my toes and fingers crossed too!I read through my paperwork that I have to sign when I go on MOnday and one says that I did not gain more than 5 lbs since my first appointment, I am nervous. I feel like I did? I don't weigh myself and I am afraid to now. I am going to cut back a lot today through Monday and drink a lot of water! I snack, don't pig out. I walk 4 days or more a morning, but I ahve felt that yuk heavy feeling. I hope I am ok. I want to buy a new scale for after the surgery. I guess I need to do that.

It is interesting to see how all our surgeons are different. Kt is two days and a half, musicalmomma over night and others going home the same day! I am hoping for an overnight. that is it. my hospital is an hour away, so it would be good for me to stay if that is his process. The same difference in what you can eat, before and after! I will be excited to see what the dietician tells me!

well, have a good day, June is coming fast!

Janine