Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Hey everyone! I hope you are all doing well. Marilynn, I think the list you are talking about is something you can find under FAQs -- Post Op list of suggested things to have on hand.

I haven't started making my list yet, I'll probably wait until the week before to get everything. I have started drinking Protein shakes and today I picked up an assortment of chewable Vitamins.

There definitely seems to be a lot of us getting banded on the 7th. It's good to know I'm not going to be alone!

I went to my first group therapy session today. I know that it can be beneficial for many people, but it's just not for me. I'm a very private person and sitting in a group of strangers to talk about my feelings isn't my thing. But it's a pre-op requirement, so I went and tried to have an open mind. It was actually very informative, but most of the attendees were gastric bypass pre-ops or post-ops, so a lot of it didn't really relate to me. But hell, I'll do whatever it takes to get that much closer to being banded.

Accountability: I stuck to my diet today! I didn't go to the gym, but I did yoga and did a lot of walking while running errands, so I think that counts.

musicalmomma,

Did you have to go on the medifast prior to the surgery? Is this a liquid drink with a restricted diet? I read others who had to fast prior to the surgery, but I am thinking I won't have to or it would be a short lived one since I am seeing the doctor only 2 weeks prior to the surgery date.

I had a heart rythem issue in November and I went through all the tests, and nothing was found. I have not had another problem since, and iIshared all this with the Nurse/Physician Assistant when I saw them in March. I worry to when I go for the physcial they may say I need other tests? They never asked for my test results when I had the problem. I hope it does not put it off either. Like you we have to trust they are doing the right steps.

I did pull out my stuff today and looked at it too, that made me feel better.

It seems several of us are being banded June 7! How cool.

Janine

Hi Janie. Well, I was went on medifast for my medically supervised diet. I had to do that for the insurance approval. I did great and lost 28 pounds in 11 weeks. I didn't stay 100% compliant, because I could only lose 32 pounds and still qualify for Insurance approval.

Once they submitted for insurance approval in late March, I stopped watching my diet and found over this past weekend that I had gained back 10 pounds!!!! YIKES!!! My pre-op physical is next week, so I went back on medifast to take off those 10 pounds. I've lost 6 of them so far... must have been retaining A LOT of water!

My doc does require a full liquid diet for one week prior to surgery...then two weeks post op full liquids, then two weeks puree'd then two weeks soft foods. The pre op liquid diet is to shrink the liver and allow the surgeon to maneuver better in the gut.

...I went to my first group therapy session today. I know that it can be beneficial for many people, but it's just not for me. I'm a very private person and sitting in a group of strangers to talk about my feelings isn't my thing. But it's a pre-op requirement, so I went and tried to have an open mind. It was actually very informative, but most of the attendees were gastric bypass pre-ops or post-ops, so a lot of it didn't really relate to me. But hell, I'll do whatever it takes to get that much closer to being banded.

I TOTALLY relate Lucy!!!! I was required to go to a support group meeting too...and there was only ONE person that had the lapband and she was only 4 weeks out and was STARVING...the rest were GB and one was rude enough to ask me "Why the heck would you want the band when GB guarantees faster weight loss?" I just smiled politely, but I SO wanted to say "Because I don't want my insides rearranged and I don't want to lose my hair LIKE YOU!!" Usually I would speak up, but just bit my tongue and muttled through knowing I'd never have to go again!

Good morning Junie's!!! OK...I feel like I'm monopolizing this thread! ;)

Accountability: didn't stay 100% compliant, but pretty darn close. Had to go to my husbands department bbq!!! Let me tell you, if you've ever seen "The Biggest Loser", I felt like one of those people that had to face a mountain of the most scrumptios food!!!! There was not ONE vegetable in sight!!!!!! SO, I had a plate of fruit (watermelon, grapes, pineapple, and strawberries) and two 3oz extra lean hamburgers, each had 1/2 slice of cheese :phanvan So, all in all I could have done worse, but truth be told, I should have only had one burger w/o the cheese. AND fruit is not part of the medifast plan, but I figured it's better than eating the cheese cake!!! So all in all, not too bad. Still 6 pounds down. Hope to see a drop tomorrow. I know...I'm a scale 'ho!

How's everyone else doing?

Unfortunately the samples I ordered weren't free - but they were very inexpensive. I counted last night and I had ordered 42 different samples - I spent about $70, I think. I bought every flavor! That will almost get my husband through his two week pre-op diet. He knows what I like, so whatever he decides tastes the best we'll order full sizes of.

Here is where I went:

Beth's Protein Boutique

http://208.56.157.89/catalog/index.p...43defee8c557b1

Mother Soy

http://www.mothersoy.com/freesample.html

Bariatriceating.com

http://www.bariatriceating.com/sazecais.html

Vitalady

http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/comm...rder=ascending

Missy

Hi! I am new here and am planning on getting banded at the end of June in Mexico! I can't wait!!!! Good luck to all of you, lets keep this June thread going and support each other!

Hello Junettes (since there don't seem to be any men here yet)!

I hope you are all doing well and sticking to your diets! Is anyone else feeling like their date will never come? I'm so impatient...

Momma, the group therapy really didn't do it for me -- this forum is WAY more supporetive and informative than the 40 GBers that I met with. But it's really not a big deal.

Accountability: I stuck to my diet today. I even turned down a Sunburst that someone offered to me! I didn't get to the gym, but my husband and I went for a walk on the beach this evening, so I think that's better than nothing!

And welcome to all the newbies!!!

Sunburst? Or is it a Starburst? I haven't had one in so long I can't even remember the name...

Musicalmomma and all

You are not taking over the site! I am glad to see that we are all keeping up with the posting!

I called my billing office yesterday to ask about the cost of fills for Anthem, bcbs. She said they moved them to the office and they are covered. I would have my office copay with is $30 or less. I was pleased to hear about that. I really did not want additional bills of $500

(or close)a pop!

Thanks for the infomation on the liquid diet. Maybe that is why I see the surgeon two weeks before!

Do any of you have children? How are they taking your decision? I told my 18 year old son yesterday and he did not understand. I think he is worried, he is the sensative one. My older son, really had no reaction! Don't know which one is better...kids! My son's fiance said, you won't be able to eat at the wedding, which is July 7, that is fine with me! Less to worry about. I have two younger step daughters, 12 and 15, they asked some questions, but really not much negativitey which I was pleased. Why is it hard to tell people, if you were getting a boob job or something everyone would be like, "cool". But weight loss surgery is taken as a negative. Am I being to sensative??

talk to you all later. need to get to work.

Janine

Hey, my surgery is scheduled with Dr. Spivak for June 19th, I'm not so patiently counting down the weeks!!!! I've actually been trying to keep myself extra busy at work to make the time go by faster!! lol

Lucy: I totally agree...I LOVE this site...it's SO much better than a support group full of GBer's!!! How ya doing today?

Ja9va: I have four daughters, 18, 16 (on 6/12), 7 & 5. The two older ones are extremely supportive! The two younger ones don't even know I'm having surgery. I didn't want them to worry. They hear the word "hospital" and freak! Pretty much everyone I've told has been wonderfully supportive. My mom is doing her best to be supportive, but she's anti-weight loss surgery. But she hasn't been negative and has been trying to keep upbeat about it. If my dad knows he hasn't said anything about it. I'm sure my mom told him, but he's a wise man that figures his grown, married, mother of 4 daughter, has her own life and can make her own decisions. :) It's a shame some people are so negative about WLS, but I don't let that bother me...I'm going to get healthy and fit...that outweighs any negativity! Congrats on getting married!!!!! July 7th is FAST approaching!!!! Good luck :)

Accountability: still not 100% compliant on medifast, but dropped another pound, for 7 total, so I must be doing OK! Need to get in some exercise...maybe I'll take Amy to the YMCA today :)

Have a great day guys!!!

June bandster here!! June 5th with Dr. Sweeney (St. Lukes/Baylor - Houston). I am counting the days, but in the meantime I workout 5 days a week (3 days of spin & 2 days of HIIT and weights). I eat fairly well, high-Protein & low-carb. I do have some "carb up" days for workouts when I eat steel cut oatmeal, yams, quinoa, brown rice.

I have to attend 1 pre-op class which I am sure that covers many of the things they have already told me. I have 1 more visit with the nutritionist.

I have a 2 week pre-op diet of Protein shakes. The dr. suggests Carnation Instant Breakfast (sugar-free), Slim-Fast Optima or Slim-Fast High Protein.

I want to thank you guys for the motivation & support! ((((THANKS))))

Nina

Hi Everyone! Welcome, Nina!

Congrats on your date, BrandyK!

Janine -- I don't have any kids, but my husband knows about the surgery. I've decided not to tell anyone else, at least for now. Eventually I may tell my parents, but I don't really have the desire to share it with anyone else. Especially before the surgery -- I'm using this pre-op time to be positive and focus on my goal and I don't want anyone else to contribute any unnecessary negative input.

Accountability -- Ugh. I was doing well all day and then my husband and I went out to dinner at a German restaurant.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

I think that my body has actually gotten used to my pre-op diet of high Protein and smaller portions so when I ate sausage, potatoes, and beer, my stomach wanted to kill me. It still wants to kill me! I think I learned my lesson tonight...

Well wanted to check in to see how everyone is doing. It looks like a way better than me. My surgery is in a little over 3 weeks and I am having my last supper this weekend and then the real stuff will start on Monday. I know, I said I would start before, but I changed my mind. With Mother's Day coming, I decided it would be easier to start then. I know I would beat myself up anyway if I wasn't 100% compliant, and I am tired of that.

I will log on Monday to let you know how I am doing. Keep your fingers crossed...

To all of you who have been compliant...WAY TO GO!!!!!:clap2: :cheer2: :banana

Peace Out!

T~:hippie:

Another June bandster here.

June 27, 2007

47 days

But who's counting?

ME!!!!!

So happy to have found this thread. I need more time to read through it but wanted to say HI!