Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

OK... does anyone get full quickly (1/2 - 1 cup food) but then feel like they are STARVING within 1-2 hours? I hate it! I'm so sick of being hungry! And its real hunger too, like, my stomach is growling and even occasionally cramping.

I was feeling like that too, and HATED it!! I got my 3rd fill Wednesday, only .5, but it has made a difference so far.... I was feeling restricted after the 2nd (which was a total of 2cc in a 4cc), but the hunger was almost constant. Now I seem to be satisfied for longer... maybe you just need a wee bit more.

waters and suzzie, I wish we could get to the "point" so we can feel comfort in knowing the band is working.

I made porterhouse steaks for dinner and some chicken. My PA said that I might be able to have steak if it is a good cut. well I trimmed off about 4 oz and ate it all with out a problem! I also had a half of baked potato and a small salad. I did feel full, maybe a bit over the top, but nothing got stuck or tight! My dh, said, I thought your NP said NO steak! Ok waters, sound familiar!!! I went into my explanation as frustrated as I was. I told my dh I was hoping to get sick so I would KNOW the band was there! I do know it is there, but it is crazy that I can eat all this....

I don't go back until October 8. :)

Suzzie, You make me laugh! Thanks! I was very upset and I think it was that and anger which goaded me into getting some answers. I have 5cc in there now and think at times I am feeling something like a little fullness in my chest but I will be going back

and what's that you say Suzzzie? 6cc feels pretty good?

OK, I will be getting 6! Thank You!

Yes, 6cc feels good. I have restriction, but as I said I still get hungry about 1-2 hours after I was originally 'stuffed' so I am going for my 3rd fill on Friday. My NP only does them every FOUR weeks... which has worked out fine so far... gives me some time between fills to try a variety of foods and see what does and doesn't work.

I have 4.6 in a 10cc band after three fills. I think they are being conservative with my fills because they are done under flouro and they have me on my back, raise my head and turned to the left and it would be hard for ANYONE to swallow in that unnatural position!

I'm eating good (protein first, veggies next, very limited carbs), but I can eat too much at one sitting and am hungry withing two or three hours. I'm thinking I need another fill, but I'm still getting stuck pretty regular.

So I'm taking a vote here: should I get the fill and just really concentrate on my chewing and bite sizes?

I'm excercising my behind off and the scale has stopped moving for a while now. I'm sick of that!

Tell me what you think, people! :) :help:

I'll chime in on this one. I was feeling the same way Java, wanting to be "tight" so I asked for this newest fill. She wouldn't give me 2.0 cc, and told me I was getting close, whatever that means....how would she know, maybe by experience. Anyway, I got 1.6, and boy do I feel it. I know what being closed off is. Today was better, but last night was awful. I drank Water and the noises it made kept me awake half the night. Call me Bubble-n-Squeak!

I think every person is different, in how much you can control your eating, how much you want to exercise vs how much you want to be uncomfortable if you don't follow bandster rules--eating slowly, chewing a lot, avoiding certain foods, etc.

Time will tell on this fill. Stef I recall you were uncomfortable on your last fill, and now you don't have enough restriction. The 10cc band takes lots of adjustments and as you lose you'll have to get it tightened up...of course you know all that but I'm just stating for the record.

Ahh the trials and tribs of lapbandland, and we've only just begun our journey.

Stef, I vote for a fill... just cause I have 6cc in my 10cc band and it's not quite enough. I am hoping for at least 1cc on Friday... I really feel that I'm VERY CLOSE to a sweet spot...

So I'm taking a vote here: should I get the fill and just really concentrate on my chewing and bite sizes?

I'm excercising my behind off and the scale has stopped moving for a while now. I'm sick of that!

Tell me what you think, people! :eek: :help:

Remember, DIGESTION BEGINS IN THE MOUTH, CHEW YOUR FOOD!

Whether we have a band or not, we should all learn to chew our food properly AND teach our kids to take time and do the same.

I have been paying closer attention to the kids and they gulp thier food just like I did. I keep thinking that if I can help them change at an early age, maybe, just maybe they won't be like me.

So now, no one gets Water or any kind of drinks with the meal and they are encouraged to chew well.

Yes Stephanie, I think you should get the fill. ( My brand new granddaughter's name too!)

Here is some information I think everyone will want to read.

The chapter is adjusting the lap band:

The adjustability of the lap-band is it's most importabt feature. We should use it skillfully, wisely and WITH ENTHUSIASM!

With the addition of Fluid we are looking to achieve two effects:

A state of SATIETY or the feeling of not being hungry and SATIATION, a sense of being satisfied by the amount of food that you have eaten.

We are seeking a state of satiety, of not being hungry, of not being INTERESTED in food, of being in the green zone. This is the most important of the two effects and is the principal reason why the band works so well. This feeling of satiety will enable you to stick to the rule of no more than 3 meals a day. We don't mind if you have less than 3 meals but no more than 3. If after an adjustment you find that you are still looking for a snack in between meals or even feeling hungry, tell us and we can add more fluid. This is one of the most important markers to us that you need more fluid.

Too little fluid in the band is WASTING the OPPORTUNITY! Too much fluid is HARMING the process.

In this book, the author talks about 3 zones and he has happy or sad face illustrations. The first one is a yellow zone.

:help:Not enough fluid added to the band, Too much space for food to pass through with little effect of causing satiety.

Second is the green zone:D. This is the target zone. You are not hungry and food is not of much interest to you. You spend little time thinking about food and you feel comfortable after a small amount.

Third is the red zone :angry. The band is too tight or there is something wrong with the position which causes obstruction. The range of foods you eat becomes limited. You may vomit to bring up what seems to be stuck. You can only eat soft foods like chocolate or ice cream which is called maladaptive eating. You can actually put on weight in this zone because of eating high fat foods or wrong foods.

There is a lot more info in the book but I thought I would share the zones with you. He talks about band fills too. He states a first fill for a VG band is 3.5 -4.0cc. I should have been there a while ago. How depressing, so much time wasted.

Bye for now

Total fills in 10cc AP band: 4cc, 3cc, -1cc, 1.25cc, 1.0cc(guess) = 8.25

I went for my 4th fill today and forgot to ask how much was left and how much he put in! We were talking so much about how I was doing and my husband that I totally forgot. We discussed being conservative though, so I am thinking he would have done 1.0cc or less, so I am going to say that until I see him next month.

I was down 15lbs from the previous month fill, so he was happy about that. I of course want 20lbs! :-) I had though up until last Thursday thought maybe I wouldn't need this fill, but the last 4 days, I have been very hungry and able to eat a little more than I would like, so I had him put some in. Plus my weight had actually gone up! That is most likely because of where I am at with my cycle, because I was back down again this morning. I really felt like I knew what restriction was this month, so I am hoping that continues.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday! I am mad at the Chiefs!

I had my first NSV. I went shopping today and bought size 18 pants. I was a 22/24 when I started. I was really afraid to try them on in fear that they wouldn't fit and I would have been really depressed. I put them on and they fit. I almost did the happy dance in the dressing room. I feel like I do not look any smaller but it did feel good to fit in a smaller size.

Stef,

Your doctor keeps you on your back while you're drinking the barium? Mine injects the amount he thinks I need, leaves the needle in, stands the table up with me on it, has me drink the barium to see how it goes through the band, and if I need more he injects more saline then does the swallow test again. I have an 11cc VG, and my first fill was 7 cc, my 2nd fill was 3cc. I feel like I have great restriction because he could really see how much to put in. I don't know if it would be possible for your doctor to let you stand for you swallow test, but I think it would help!

Lisa H

Lisa H wow that is amazing, the fill process! You are at your top almost. I wonder if anyone has ever had their band full and still did not feel restriction?

stef I too think another fill is needed. Your doc is very conservative, but my NP said everyone is different, not being wrong, just a different approach.

I only drank the bariam at my first fill. The second fill and others will be in the office with out flouro unless there is a problem. Last week, she had me lay down, for the first time I stood and became light headed..long story! but actually this time she was able to get the port easier. After the fill, she handed me a glass of Water, and asked me to drink it slow and to see if there was a problem. End of visit.

Rhonda today I had restriction in eating deli meat and grilled chicken. I have on and off again problems with chicken. but after the steak sliding down last night, I was surprised with today!! I guess the Band exists:clap2:

huntersmom:whoo:Great NSV!!! You must feel great!!!

waters you sound in better spirits today. How is it going? thanks for the info, what book are you reading?

I am fighting the craving of wanting food tonight, like a snack!! I hate that.

Here is some information I think everyone will want to read.

The chapter is adjusting the lap band:

In this book, the author talks about 3 zones and he has happy or sad face illustrations. The first one is a yellow zone.

:help:Not enough Fluid added to the band, Too much space for food to pass through with little effect of causing satiety.

Second is the green zone:D. This is the target zone. You are not hungry and food is not of much interest to you. You spend little time thinking about food and you feel comfortable after a small amount.

Third is the red zone :angry. The band is too tight or there is something wrong with the position which causes obstruction. The range of foods you eat becomes limited. You may vomit to bring up what seems to be stuck. You can only eat soft foods like chocolate or ice cream which is called maladaptive eating. You can actually put on weight in this zone because of eating high fat foods or wrong foods.

WATERS: What book is that?!?!

I had my first NSV. I went shopping today and bought size 18 pants. I was a 22/24 when I started. I was really afraid to try them on in fear that they wouldn't fit and I would have been really depressed. I put them on and they fit. I almost did the happy dance in the dressing room. I feel like I do not look any smaller but it did feel good to fit in a smaller size.

THATS AWESOME HuntersMom!!

Ohh, wanted to add that today at work we all ordered pizza since it was a co-workers birthday - I ate 1/2 cheese stick and 1 slice of Pepperoni pizza and was overly stuffed. I promise you that before this surgery I could easily eat an entire large pizza and an order of cheese sticks before I felt that identicla stuffed feeling. Today really opened my eyes as to what I used to eat! - And it is very disturbing!

Reporting in after walking for 50 mins with the kids. Definitely a first for me, as you know I have yet to exercise on this journey. Nothing on TV tonight and it is 65 degrees, so walking sounded like a good idea. I don't really know how far it was, but I hope it was at least a mile. I may have to go by myself from now on though, the kids bicker too much! Or at least leave one of them at home.

Walking was okay. My hips hurt towards the end, but considering I haven't walked any distance in forever, I feel pretty good. I hope to get on some sort of routine.

have a great night!