Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I have been having sleeping issues since surgery...either I am waking up really early and can't get back to sleep or I am laying awake at night. I know I need sleep...could we be gaining energy from a better diet and lost weight?

faith-hope the hairloss stops...sounds like you are doing everything right!

I have the same things going on with my sleep. I have always been one to stay up late and get up late, but recently I have been on more of a "regular" sleep pattern. I am tired around 11pm and am in bed by midnight and I am waking at 7am which is NOT normal for me. I used to be sooo tired in the morning even after getting enough sleep and I had a very hard time getting out of bed, but now when I wake up, I feel awake. I thought it might be the thyroid meds they put me on, I'm on month 3, so I wondered if they were finally kicking in, but now I'm starting to think it has to do with the band??? Whatever the cause, it's a nice side effect.

Agree about the waking up early, too. For about two weeks after the surgery, I was up at 5am ready to go every morning! Now that I haven't been sleeping at night, though, I'm very tired in the morning again.

Well I'm hoping it balances out soon, or I'm going to have to take a day or two off just to catch up on sleep!

About the Hair loss - mine has finally started falling out too. I cut it short before my surgery because I anticipated that (it always falls out when I'm under stress/etc). Because it's so short I don't think anyone notices it yet, but since I'm in the process of growing it back out I hope it stops falling out soon!

Hi all,

My sleep has definitely been different since the surgery. It seems like I need less of it. I wake up a lot earlier and then can't get back to sleep.

On another note, one that scared the you know what out of me!- I had a patient come in yesterday who after talking for a while found out that she had had GB about 4 years ago. She looked great. Her and her brother had GB and her mother and sister had Lap Band. I thought that was pretty cool. Anyways she proceeds to tell me about all the problems that her mother has had (her sister hasn't had any thank goodness). I guess that she had to have her port replaced three times!!!! The port was punctured three times!!!!! Of course she was never told how this happened but I would assume that it was obviously from the fills. Anyways, each time she had to pay the full price again. She's spent over 30,000. for her band so far!!! YIKES!!!!! I thought that if they had to replace the port that they could just "unhook" that part and replace it only. I assumed it would be alot less expensive.

I've been praying ever since that this doesn't happen to me. I can't afford to pay for this again, not even once!!!!

She did tell me that now her mom will only let the doctor do her fills. Maybe I'll have to ask for the doctor only. I hate to be like that especially since I work in the medical field and I know how great nurses are - but when it comes to the money involved here, I guess I want the most experience available.

Any thoughts?:phanvan

She did tell me that now her mom will only let the doctor do her fills. Maybe I'll have to ask for the doctor only. I hate to be like that especially since I work in the medical field and I know how great nurses are - but when it comes to the money involved here, I guess I want the most experience available.

Any thoughts?:phanvan

Actually, the doctor may NOT be the most experienced at fills. It will depend on each individual, of course, but lots of practices have nurses or PA's or NP's who do all the fills (except for the folks that for insurance reasons must have an MD do it). I'd MUCH rather have someone who does maybe five or ten fills a day than a doc if he may only do a couple a week. You will have to ask your surgeon's office staff, and that is sometimes a hard thing to muster the courage to do, but it's the only way to find out who's your best bet. Also, if your surgeon has a Yahoo group or if there is a support group that meets, or look around on here for other patients that may be farther along than you, you could ask the other patients what their experiences have been and who has done their fills. I know in my surgeon's practice who to stay far away from and who is okay to have do it just from talking with a couple folks on here who go to the same practice I do. In my case, you either see this certain NP or you have one certain surgeon do it.

MEETING - I'm all for meeting in Vegas. Who wants to be the 'leader' and make all the plans? Haha. The hotels will give discounted rates to big groups. I've been there twice and I've stayed at the far end of the strip both times (RIviera and Sahara, the cheap end, aaha.) I'd like to stay more in the middle next time I go.

About Hair loss - I think I would CRY if I started to lose more than I've always shed. I used to joke that I would be bald by 25 (I'm 30 now) cause I've always shed so much, but my hair is so thick and never seems to get thinner. Lucky me. I am very careful with my Protein and Vitamins. I also know that thinner hair will look fuller if its cut shorter. My mom has always had thin hair and she keeps it short, looks beautiful, but if she lets it grow at all it looks scraggly and blah.

sleeping PATTERNS - I slept for about 3 days after surgery (all day, all night) but I did start to notice that I was waking up earlier after that. By the time I went back to work I would get up the first time my alarm went off. I think I've only hit snooze once since surgery - and I used to hit snooze about 3-4 times!! There are also days when I go to bed at 8pm!!

Good evening! I am also for us getting together in Vegas next yr! I know it would be "cool" to be together in June since that is our band month BUT... It is sooooo stinkin hot there in June! Feb - Apr are GREAT months to go! My hubby and I have a time share there so just tell me when and I should be able to make it!

I am having some restriction today which is GOOD!! It took me from 7:30-3:30ish to drink 2 shakes and 1 liter of water!! Wheewww Now i'm starting on my 2nd round of shakes hopefully I can get them all in b4 bed tonight!

I sure wish I had some energy!! My butt has been dragging since b4 surgery! I don't have 1 extra oz of energy for ANYTHING!! I feel like I could sleep around the clock!! You guys make me sick w/ all your unwanted un-needed energy!! :-P~

stef I cook it in a variety of ways. because it cooks so fast, you may want to only cook what you are going to eat. I use lemon, lime, lemon/pepper, cajun seasoning, ground pepper, pepper blend, salsa after it is cooked. I also have spread light mayo and chopped onions and put it in tin foil and bake. All the above is not all at once of course!! also the butter spray, with the seasoning of your liking. Hope this helps.

That does help, thank you! I always cook my fish the same way...garlic salt and Mrs. Dash Table Blend, and it's scrumptious! It just did not work with the tilapia.

Thanks again!

Stephanie: Here's a link for a thread all about cooking talipia (hope it works)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f82/need-talipia-recipe-32004/#post424717

(Whoa! Have you ever tried to edit a post? It's a jumbled mess! I don't know HOW anyone would do it with all those smiley faces between each character!)

Anyhow, I was going to edit my last post to include a "THANK YOU" to bigbaby, also, but she gets her own!

THANK YOU! :confused:

I thought I was the only person with a sleeping problem. I am glad to know I am not alone. I sleep through the night fine after I finally fall asleep. I get so restless when I lay down to try to sleep. I do not wake up early if I do not have to. I usually do not even hear my dh's alarm go off. I haven't been really good about taking my multivits but I am willing to be better if that is going to help.

Hello June Bandsters. I had my first fill today and it went fine. (3cc) The nurse performed it and I have to eat mushies today and start slowly tomorrow on regular food. I will be four weeks on Friday, but I called and let them know I needed to come in...I had gained back 2 pounds because I could eat all I wanted to. I am going to give this 2 weeks and go in if I am not restricted enough. I am flying on Saturday and I have heard it can feel more restricting. Does anyone have any experience with flying and the band?

Faith- I really hope your hair grows back. From what I have read they say it does return to normal.

cmp2007: I'm so glad to hear that your fill went well! I understand what you are saying about going back sooner if you aren't restricted. As we talked about before, I did go ahead and move up my second fill appointment to next Monday from the following Monday. I haven't heard anything regarding flying with the band...did you ask while you were at the office today? I will be interested to know how that goes...I might be flying to Vegas soon from Dallas.

Faith: My sis had GBP in 2005, and she went through the Hair loss phase, as well. It grew back and thickened up beautifully when she started maintenance and it hasn't been a problem since. So, maybe we will experience this for a while until we get to goal and start maintaining. I'm starting to get a little of this, as well.

Hey insub, you're an Aussie right? We will go to Vegas together!! Can't wait to get to that "all you can eat buffet" JUST KIDDING Actually right now I'm so hungry that I'm sure I would do it justice. I am sleeping differently too, I'm also more "antsy" in the evening and don't seem to be able to blob out after the kids go to bed. Maybe it's just because I am trying not to eat on the couch in front of the TV. Can't wait for my fill although it sounds like it is rare for the first one to do the trick????