Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

....BTW.....if I didn't make myself clear....for all those getting a fill!!!! The fill did not hurt in the least! I just was so bloated from eating something bad last night....I hurt!!!! Amy was great! And Kind!

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten hunger headaches since being banded. I have had such a bad headache today. I think it is due to hunger. I was starving by the time I got to eat lunch today and work and I had such a headache. After I ate it got a little better but not much. I seem not to have time for Snacks at work. At least not good ones. I do not want to have to go into their junk food drawer just for a quick fix.

Huntersmom: Could it be caffeine related? I used to get massive headaches if I didn't have caffeine for two days...

Hey, hey, hey! I just had my first follow up appt today with the doc. Down 11 lbs! YAY! I was also given pictures of what my insides look like during the banding process. Pretty cool. I also found out that I have a 10cc band.

Thanks for the information regarding the fills all. Next time I go, I'm going to start bugging him for a fill date.. :)

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten hunger headaches since being banded. I have had such a bad headache today. I think it is due to hunger. I was starving by the time I got to eat lunch today and work and I had such a headache. After I ate it got a little better but not much. I seem not to have time for Snacks at work. At least not good ones. I do not want to have to go into their junk food drawer just for a quick fix.

Hi Rhonda,

I get the SAME thing if I wait too many hours 'tween brekky and lunch. And then I just can't shake it. I can totally relate! Yes, it's happened to me! Just today I had to eat lunch at 11 a.m. because I had only a Protein Shake so early in the morning.

Can you bring your own beef jerky/protein bar or some other Protein source that doesn't have to be refrigerated to snack on?!? I totally feel for you!!!!! Sorry that happened!:cry

Cheers,

Toni

Suzzzie, 20 days out and you can eat bread, Pasta and salad? Wow! I want your nutritionist!

I also LOVE pasta and bread, but I had made some changes before banding and was eating Barilla Pasta Plus (in the yellow box) for a higher Protein, higher Fiber pasta and it tastes really good. I also had changed to whole grain breads, and occasionally I'd have some Texas Toast 6 Carb Garlic bread (in the freezer section). It isn't too bad. Good garlic flavor.

My nut says that I can't have rice or pasta for three months after banding. (Like that's going to happen, I'm a sushi FANATIC)

Some great suggestions for lean protein she gave me for when I can eat solid foods are:

tuna (I can't stand it)

Salmon

Other broiled fish (can buy the frozen microwaveable fillets)

eggs

Flaked Crab

Shrimp (some complain that after a fill or a few they have trouble getting shrimp down)

chicken (you can buy chicken breast in packets already flaked in the canned meat section of your supermarket, it is VERY good and MOIST!) If you have a Trader Joes near you, they sell several varieties of pre cooked chicken breasts, or you can get the roasted chickens in the deli case of most bigger supermarkets. I don't have time to cook much either, so I rely on the packets of chicken or the pre-cooked.

Deli meats such as turkey, chicken breast, roast beef (she specified deli cuts because they are more likely to be fresher and you can buy smaller quantities, or have them cut to the thickness you prefer)

Haha, what nutritionist? At my doc office the nurse practitioner does everything As far as I know they don't have a nutritionist, and that is the only thing I can complain about. Basically I'm supposed to be on a mechanically soft diet...but if you chew well, that IS mechanically soft. Toast and pasta are in that list anyway, so I figured Carrabbas was 'kinda' on the list. Haha. Everything I've eaten has gone down absolutely fine. I've had 2 bites get momentarily stuck, and I think that they were just too big of bites, and not chewed well enough.

My problem remains though: I eat too much of the stuff I shouldn't. Carbs mostly. Carbs are cheap and comforting. I haven't had ice cream though, except one ice cream sammich. HAha. I'm a HUGE ice cream freak, so this is good. I also have stayed away from fast food totally. I have not had any chocolate, other than my Protein Shakes. I don't really miss Desserts like I thought I would. And diet coke - haven;t had one in 3 weeks and have only missed it one day.

I know I have a long way to go, but I'm here and willing to make the changes... they just have to come kind of slow. If i was capable of changing my eating habits overnight I wouldn't have needed the band.

Suzzzie,

Carraba's is one of my favorite places. Next time try their grilled trout with grilled veggies. It is soooooo good!

Ewwww! I HATE FISH. Lol. As far as meat goes I am a chicken and cow kind of girl. As I said in my last post, old habits are dying hard... but I'll make it. I can eat tuna, every once in a while, but have to be in the mood for it.

FaithMD--Thanks for the list. I was wanting a list of Protein. Does anyone have a list of high protein Snacks?

Kland--Thanks for the idea of eating every 2 hours. I tried it today and it worked PERFECTLY!!!

Can you list some lean Protein that you eat? I can't imagine cooking chicken or anything every so many hours! So like, lean deli meats? cheese? I SHOULD know this - OK, I do. But..but...but... I LIKE Pasta and potatoes. Haha.

2 more weeks until I can get a fill. I sooooo need it! I was able to eat too much at Carrabbas last night!! (including the bread and salad! But I only managed about 1/4 of my pasta, so that is amazing for me!)

Like you said, lean deli meats is good, and is the easiest to grab and run and also for those three bites in between meals to stave off hunger. My favorite of course is the canned chicken, flaked real well, with a little mayo mixed in to keep it moist. I don't have much time to cook, so I try to do a lot at one time, divide it out into portions and freeze them. If you like fish, that is fast if you broil it. I try to stay away from cheese, but I love it. It just makes me so constipated no matter how much I drink. It never did this to me before being banded. tuna is good to keep mixed up in the fridge for a couple bites at a time. I stay away from the RTD protien drinks and the protien bars...check the labels...scary! Tonight I took two thick cut pork chops, cut them in half, wrapped them in a foil pouch with some cauliflower and a dollop of Tomato Soup and baked for an hour and a half, then put four meals into the fridge/freezer for later. If I didn't prepare in advance, I KNOW I would be eating horribly!

I have rambled, sorry! I have a list from my NP that I will send you when I get back to the house. Good luck!

Yes I had Amy! It hurt!!!! Not because of the needle but last night I ate something that bloated me terribly and when she grabbed that port!!! OOWWWWWCCCCHH! Fortunately she got it first grab and first stick and she and the flouroscopy guy were very nice! She said my band was the smallest one! (I guess I'll ask Dr. Snow...exactly which one next time) and she put in 1cc....and it is the opening size of a pencil! Which was pretty easy to see by the screen! Are you doing without solids for 5 days...then soft foods? So tell me how is it going?!?

Sorry you hurt! Yes, they are great! Did you ask for pictures? They will print them for you right there while you are on the table!

No, I was on liquids the day of the fill, soft foods the next and back to regular as tolerated. I'm doing fine with most anything now as long as I CHEW WELL.

As far as which band you have, I think my doc said that location uses the AP Band exclusively, but do check with your doc to be sure. I have the small AP band from there, and mine took 3cc's to get to pencil size. (I'm calling tomorrow to see if I can schedule a second fill for the six week mark!)

Hi guys

thanks very much for the advice, I think that the pain was gas. I feel so much better now. I went to see my surgeon today and he handed me a Photograph of a ovarian cyst. he advised me to call my gynecologist. I asked how big the cyst was and he said big. but he just waived the camera down there as a look around and found it.

So monday I will be off to the doctor.

I am a little worried

Hi guys

thanks very much for the advice, I think that the pain was gas. I feel so much better now. I went to see my surgeon today and he handed me a Photograph of a ovarian cyst. he advised me to call my gynecologist. I asked how big the cyst was and he said big. but he just waived the camera down there as a look around and found it.

So monday I will be off to the doctor.

I am a little worried

Wow. I'm glad your doc found that!! Go to the gyn and have it removed. I have a co-worker who had a 33 pound ovarian cyst last year. She is thin and looked pregnant! We're nurses, so no one knows why she waited so long to have it checked out (other than fear of cancer) but she is absolutely fine. We all tease her about the 'quads' cause 33 pounds is about what 4 babies would weigh. Lol.

Seriously though, just go have it checked out!

Hey june mates, I had surgery on the 27th, I am still in quite a bit of discomfort. Port still hurts, but more than that just general epigastric area heavy sort of pain. Is this OK?? I can't figure out hunger,pain whatever but can definately feel if I have too much too fast. I hope I get better at this soon!!! Marga

It is totally normal, Marga. Not that is feels good at all because it doesn't, but those are some of the pains I got. I'm two weeks out and just now my port incision and the two closest to it are starting to really bug me. My skin is still totally numb, but the pain is deep inside. I have read a couple of threads where people said their port still "twinged" 6 and 9 months later. After all, it is stitched to a muscle, so I'm sure stretching it will probably hurt a bit.

News from band-land. My doctor said he can't remember seeing someone that's lost as much as I have in my first month. I am in shock!

He offered to give me a mini-fill, but since I haven't really been hungry at all (and still freaked about my stuck-chicken situation), I told him I'd prefer to wait. So my next appointment is in a month.

12 Down So Far Starting To Worry About Restriction This Week Has Been Tough Since I Have Been Able To Eat Anthing And Everything. I'm Going To The Gym Though And My First Fill Is On 7/17 Can't Wait!:confused: