Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Suzzzie- what is an example of what you eat in a day? I'm on full liquids and am having trouble with what to eat to get the Protein and veggies.

Well, for protein and Calcium I make my Protein Shakes using 16oz skim milk and 2 1/2 scoops of Body Fortress whey Protein (23gm per scoop). I drink this off and on throughout the day. I have 1 fat free pudding cup. 1 fat free yogurt. And I've been drinking the V8 V-Fusion light, I like the peach and mango one. Each 8oz cup has 1/4 cup veggies and 1/4 cup fruit mixture. I'll have about 2 8oz cups a day. I've also really enjoyed blended cream of mushroom and cream of celery Soups, but can't eat much of that before I start to feel really bloated.

LauraG my doctor says full liquids on days 3-7 post op. I'm lucky his list for that includes: skim milk; strained low-fat cream soups; Tomato soup; Liquid Protein supplements; lite or fat-free yogurt; soy milk; veggie juices; milk shakes; egnnog; ice cream - low fat, low-sugar brands; custards; low-fat, low-sugar puddings; sherbert; fruit ice; nonfat frozen yogurt. I've been tolerating and loving it. For Breakfast i had some Yoplait Whipped strawberry yogurt...it was amazing!! No pieces. For lunch I had a Campbell's By The Hand Velvety Potato soup...blended a little extra and a fruit popsicle.

Congratulations, Suzzzie!! I quit taking the Lortab Monday as well...was way too sleepy. Tylenol works but am wondering about Ibuprofen.

OMG you are so lucky!!All I have had since surgery is broth sf Jello sf popsicles and crystal light with my Protein Powder. I just don't get how our diets can be so different you would think they would all be the same.:( I'd love to know what your stage 4 diet consists off.I can pretty much tell you mine in a nutshell. Fish, chicken, eggs, yougart, lowfat cheese, lowfat cottage cheese,skim milk (that's for my protein). 3 oz per meal. Then I am allowed 2 tbsp soft cooked vegetables from my list which consists of Carrots,beets mushrooms, spinach, squash, green Beans, asparagus and turnip greens. If I am still hungary I can have 2 tbsp of either green peas, acorn squash cream style corn, skim milk, or carb masters yougart..Okay the not to have at all until I have reached my goal weight So we are talking about a year No Pasta, rice,fruit, potatoes or bread products.And no creamed Soups. I am curious to know if anyone else has this same diet.

Hi, It's me---the melodrama queen of the board, it seems! I just have to share with you what happened yesterday and hope like heck it won't happen to YOU all, my friends!

Does anyone suffer from Migraines? :(

I do. :D I take a daily preventative, even, (Topamax) but occasionally one slips through.

Tuesday morning I woke up with a KILLER/DOOZIE of a Migraine. I quickly took some anti-nause Rx and my migraine med. (Maxalt) but it didn't help. :D Between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. I dry-heaved about 15-20 times. I'm NOT exaggerating. And each time I was worried to death about my band, and at one point even started to pray. Today my sides hurt from wretching so much. I don't know what the problem was: usually I only vomit once, maybe twice max. But yesterday it just never stopped. Oh, and I'll spare you with all the details on how my husband is a saint: I was on the couch ALL DAY AND NIGHT and I have two children to look after. He made arrangements for them, by the Grace of God!

I couldn't pick up the phone yesterday to call my Dr.s office, and today the nurse is out, so I left a message for her to call me tomorrow. I'm just so afraid of the "what ifs" again. What if I ripped my internal stitches or slipped the band, or will have cause future slippage? I just feel so helpless.

Sorry if I am boring everyone to tears with my problem :bored Just wanted to warn all of you with migraines to take your Rx the SECOND you feel one coming on to avoid the nausea/vomiting that may follow. I wish I would've woken at 4 a.m. and done so. But what's done is done....

<sigh>,

Toni

Oh Toni! I'm so sorry!! I hope no damage was done. Take it easy.

BTW, you remind me sooo much of my aunt - the way you 'talk' and use the smilies. :)

Thanks everybody. I am still unsure if I'll do it. I guess I'll wait and see...... I get banded FRIDAY!!!!! Keep all new banded people in your prayers.

I am a little worried tonight. I am having sharpish pains in my stomach. Not really super painful, just slightly...sharp.

I think I may have over eaten my Soup, but it is liquid right? I can't have done much damage, I ate very slowly!

I am trying to sip Water now and hoping it goes away. Yikes! Anyone else felt this?

Yes, it is amazing how different docs give widely different advice and instructions. Mine told me I can take any medicines I need to...even my horse-pill size glucosamine! He said I do not have to take liquid medicines becuase the stomach is still the same stomach, just smaller. So it would take a little longer to dissolve, but would dissolve just as if I weren't banded. He also said that 90% or better of all his patients have no problem with carbonation. I don't drink sodas at all, so it didn't mean a whole lot to me until he said that included beer! YUM! I love to have a beer with dinner sometimes, so this was wonderful news! He said, in fact, that the world's leading gastric surgeon (name escapes me now, will get it if anyone is interested in this next statement) from Australia is about to or has just published a study showing that patients who regularly had a glass of wine or beer actually lost more and faster! Something to think about, huh? And if you like beer, you should try Michelob Ultra. It is much better for you and it tastes great!

Toni---I'm sorry to hear abut your headaches. I have said a prayer for you. I pray that you would be completely healed of the headaches and god would relieve you of having to take the medication. You are such a faithful encourager and inspiration to me each time I get on the site....I look forward to seeing your name!!!

Hope that you are feeling better soon.

Attention Ladies and Gentleman! I think I have some good information for you! I have been reading alot lately (to replace eating :D ) and in the book "Fighting Weight" By Khaliah Ali (Muhammad Ali's daughter who had the lapband) her doctor from New York who also has had the lapband now for 7 years states "Have a settling drink if you enjoy social drinking. Up to one drink a day for women and two for men, helps keep the esophagus from having spasms." Isn't that interesting? I would share that with your doctors!

Also I was reading and people were asking about getting more Protein in and how. Our hospital hands out a whole booklet and in there is suggests to add 1/4 cup of non-fat dry milk powder (which = 10 grams of protein) to your milk/shakes. Sounds pretty easy to me for an extra 10 grams! :D let me know if this helps anyone.

Great to see everyone is losing so well and doing so great. Great job I wish I knew your secrets! I myself feel disappointed in my weight loss. I have not been losing really and i am getting discouraged even though i am working my booty off :(. The numbers are not moving. What if I am just destined to be overweight? What if the lapband wont work for me? Sooo many concerns and no one to answer them for sure. FRUSTRATING! Take care all!

Becky

Oh Toni! I'm so sorry!! I hope no damage was done. Take it easy.

BTW, you remind me sooo much of my aunt - the way you 'talk' and use the smilies. :)

Thanks, Suzzzie....I hope there was no damage, too <fingers crossed> and I'd love to meet your Auntie!:rolleyes:

Everyone that used their insurance, I just got a bill from my Dr. for almost $5,000. I was told that my insurance, which is BCBS Federal, would cover the lapband. Why would I be getting a bill for almost $5,000???? Is anyone else having any problems like this????

I am a little worried tonight. I am having sharpish pains in my stomach. Not really super painful, just slightly...sharp.

I think I may have over eaten my Soup, but it is liquid right? I can't have done much damage, I ate very slowly!

I am trying to sip Water now and hoping it goes away. Yikes! Anyone else felt this?

LB....I'm a Journey Lite alum, too! Could the pains in your stomach be from your port? Are the pains anywhere near your port or around that area? I sometimes get a "stitch in my side" and I think the culprit is the port healing itself.

But if the pain persists no matter what...call the office and talk to the nurse. Better be safe than sorry! :paranoid:)

Hugs,

Toni

Toni---I'm sorry to hear abut your headaches. I have said a prayer for you. I pray that you would be completely healed of the headaches and god would relieve you of having to take the medication. You are such a faithful encourager and inspiration to me each time I get on the site....I look forward to seeing your name!!!

Hope that you are feeling better soon.

BB....stop it! You are making me well-up over here!!!!! :rolleyes: Can I come over and kiss you???? :sleep I'm so grateful for your prayer and your encouragement. YOU are the inspiration, Sweets!

BTW...how are YOU doing? I'm feeling lots better. :)

Love,

Toni

Everyone that used their insurance, I just got a bill from my Dr. for almost $5,000. I was told that my insurance, which is BCBS Federal, would cover the lapband. Why would I be getting a bill for almost $5,000???? Is anyone else having any problems like this????

Hi Season,

Don't panic yet. Call your insurance company. Worse case scenario: that may be your deductible, or out-of-pocket percentage. Hey, if it's any consolation, I paid for the whole tamale!!!! :rolleyes: Trade you! :)

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!!!!

Toni

Great to see everyone is losing so well and doing so great. Great job I wish I knew your secrets! I myself feel disappointed in my weight loss. I have not been losing really and i am getting discouraged even though i am working my booty off :). The numbers are not moving. What if I am just destined to be overweight? What if the lapband wont work for me? Sooo many concerns and no one to answer them for sure. FRUSTRATING! Take care all!

Becky

Hi Becky!

Don't be too discouraged. I'm thinking the weight is going to start falling off after the 2nd or 3rd fill which puts us at about August to start seeing the scale move dramatically. For now, just Celebrate the little victories and don't get too down! I'm with you! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Toni