Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Beckiet- Have you been able to eat yougart, pudding and Soup since you got home from the hospital? I must have the most strick Dr. and diet because I can't have any of that not even at my blended stage and even when I get to stage 4 I can't have pudding or Soups. Seems like most people from what I have been reading can eat a lot of different foods. Mine is very restricted I'm beginning to find out. How are you feeling since your surgery?

LauraG my doctor says full liquids on days 3-7 post op. I'm lucky his list for that includes: skim milk; strained low-fat cream soups; Tomato soup; liquid Protein supplements; lite or fat-free yogurt; soy milk; veggie juices; milk shakes; egnnog; ice cream - low fat, low-sugar brands; custards; low-fat, low-sugar puddings; sherbert; fruit ice; nonfat frozen yogurt. I've been tolerating and loving it. For breakfast i had some Yoplait Whipped strawberry yogurt...it was amazing!! No pieces. For lunch I had a Campbell's By The Hand Velvety Potato soup...blended a little extra and a fruit popsicle.

I quit taking the lortab elixor on Monday - it didn't help at all with the pain, and would knock me out for hours. I have been taking liquid tylenonl twice a day, mostly cause I get headaches. The pain I have is a cramping, like muscle cramps. I think I would benefit from a muscle relaxer...maybe I'll ask the doc about that on Friday?

I am starting to feel a general discomfort around my port site, which is just odd and hard to explain. The skin around the port site is still numb to the touch, and swollen, and when I lightly push around it it feels weird. All of my incisions look great, no pain from them at all.

And, no, I don't feel like I've lost weight. I still feel bloated and blah. Haha, either way, its nice to see the scale move in the RIGHT direction!

Congratulations, Suzzzie!! I quit taking the Lortab Monday as well...was way too sleepy. Tylenol works but am wondering about Ibuprofen.

Anyone taking pills for their pain instead of elixers? My elixer is about gone, I was banded Monday, and was thinking about not getting it refilled because I can't stand it really. Also Anyone else's stomach just rumble and bubble and make all kinds of noise?

LauraG my doctor says full liquids on days 3-7 post op. I'm lucky his list for that includes: skim milk; strained low-fat cream soups; Tomato soup; Liquid Protein supplements; lite or fat-free yogurt; soy milk; veggie juices; milk shakes; egnnog; ice cream - low fat, low-sugar brands; custards; low-fat, low-sugar puddings; sherbert; fruit ice; nonfat frozen yogurt. I've been tolerating and loving it. For Breakfast i had some Yoplait Whipped strawberry yogurt...it was amazing!! No pieces. For lunch I had a Campbell's By The Hand Velvety Potato soup...blended a little extra and a fruit popsicle.

Congratulations, Suzzzie!! I quit taking the Lortab Monday as well...was way too sleepy. Tylenol works but am wondering about Ibuprofen.

Haha, I saw that Velvety Potato Soup at the store and wanted it so bad, but I was still on clears at the time and wasn't sure if we could even have that when we started fulls. Yum! Now I might have to go back to the store!

As for the Ibuprofen, I would MUCH prefer that over the Tylenol, but couldn't find it in liquid? Maybe I didn't look long enough? It was when I went out by myself for the first time and I was really hurting and felt sick, so I just grabbed the Tylenol and left.

JackiP12-your so lucky you can have pudding& broth from a cream Soup. What stage diet are you on?

I'm on full liquids. My DH and I have been on them since June 6 and we have to be on them until June 26. We had to do 1200 calorie for 2 weeks, then full liquids 5 days before surgery. We have to continue full liquids for the 2 weeks after surgery, then 2 weeks of pureed, blenderized foods, then 2 weeks of soft foods, then slowly on to regular foods again. I don't know if I'll be ready for that!!! I'm sooo scared of getting something stuck... Anyone else feel like that?

Jackie

Has anyone who has been banded joined a support group--other than lbt?

Kland---

I know that Dr. B. has a support group that meets on the first Thursday of each month. It may be AIGB rather than Dr. B.

Are you planning on going?

Hi BB,

I go to a lap band support group 2 x's/month....everyone's been banded lots longer than me, lost hundreds of pounds, etc....so I LOVE having our board, too! A great mix! Wish I could join your support group with you and Kland!

Hugs,

Toni

I'm on full liquids. My DH and I have been on them since June 6 and we have to be on them until June 26. We had to do 1200 calorie for 2 weeks, then full liquids 5 days before surgery. We have to continue full liquids for the 2 weeks after surgery, then 2 weeks of pureed, blenderized foods, then 2 weeks of soft foods, then slowly on to regular foods again. I don't know if I'll be ready for that!!! I'm sooo scared of getting something stuck... Anyone else feel like that?

Jackie

Jackie, Hi! Don't fret about your post-op diet. Believe me, you will be ready for "regular food" I am counting the days until I can try steak, etc....just follow your diet and you'll be fine as frog's hair! No worries!

Hugs,

Toni

Jackie

I kinda agree about the regular foods thing. I'm good on liquids. Everything goes down, I have no hunger, getting in about 50-60 gms Protein a day, plenty of Calcium and fruits/veggies all with JUST liquids. Of course... I know I will get hungry at some point...and I will want to CHEW. Haha. But I am a bit worried about eating 'regular' foods.

I kinda agree about the regular foods thing. I'm good on liquids. Everything goes down, I have no hunger, getting in about 50-60 gms Protein a day, plenty of Calcium and fruits/veggies all with JUST liquids. Of course... I know I will get hungry at some point...and I will want to CHEW. Haha. But I am a bit worried about eating 'regular' foods.

Suzzzie- what is an example of what you eat in a day? I'm on full liquids and am having trouble with what to eat to get the protein and veggies.

Hi, It's me---the melodrama queen of the board, it seems! I just have to share with you what happened yesterday and hope like heck it won't happen to YOU all, my friends!

Does anyone suffer from Migraines? :(

I do. :D I take a daily preventative, even, (Topamax) but occasionally one slips through.

Tuesday morning I woke up with a KILLER/DOOZIE of a Migraine. I quickly took some anti-nause Rx and my migraine med. (Maxalt) but it didn't help. :D Between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. I dry-heaved about 15-20 times. I'm NOT exaggerating. And each time I was worried to death about my band, and at one point even started to pray. Today my sides hurt from wretching so much. I don't know what the problem was: usually I only vomit once, maybe twice max. But yesterday it just never stopped. Oh, and I'll spare you with all the details on how my husband is a saint: I was on the couch ALL DAY AND NIGHT and I have two children to look after. He made arrangements for them, by the Grace of God!

I couldn't pick up the phone yesterday to call my Dr.s office, and today the nurse is out, so I left a message for her to call me tomorrow. I'm just so afraid of the "what ifs" again. What if I ripped my internal stitches or slipped the band, or will have cause future slippage? I just feel so helpless.

Sorry if I am boring everyone to tears with my problem :bored Just wanted to warn all of you with migraines to take your Rx the SECOND you feel one coming on to avoid the nausea/vomiting that may follow. I wish I would've woken at 4 a.m. and done so. But what's done is done....

<sigh>,

Toni

Haha, I saw that Velvety Potato Soup at the store and wanted it so bad, but I was still on clears at the time and wasn't sure if we could even have that when we started fulls. Yum! Now I might have to go back to the store!

As for the Ibuprofen, I would MUCH prefer that over the Tylenol, but couldn't find it in liquid? Maybe I didn't look long enough? It was when I went out by myself for the first time and I was really hurting and felt sick, so I just grabbed the Tylenol and left.

Suzzzie, Not 100% sure it is for full liquid diet...but there werent any large pieces after I pureed it a bit. Nice and creamy then.

I'm even considering baby ibuprofen...that's liquid. Who knows.

Hey Toni, I hope you are feeling better and that everything is okay. I suffer from Migraines, too, so I definitely feel your pain. Keep us posted on your health.

Last night I convinced my husband to come for a walk with me around the neighborhood. I somehow managed to trip over a curb and did something to my right ankle! Dammit! I am a pro at injuring my ankles -- I've had numerous sprains and 2 surgeries on my left ankle. That is actually the main reason I had the Lapband put in -- all my extra weight has been bad for my ankles, but I haven't been able to exercise enough to lose the weight to help them out. Anyway, I don't think my injury is serious, I'm just going to ice and elevate it and wear a brace for the next few days and see what happens. It's just such a pain in the ass -- here I am trying to do something good for myself like exercise and I have to trip and hurt myself!

I hope everyone else is doing well.

We can commisserate. Lucy. I'm really sorry about your ankle. At least you have a good excuse not to exercise :( Hope it's healed, soon and you're back out for your walks with your sweetie!

Toni

I know every surgeon is different, but mine doesn't want me taking ibuproferin for pain ever. Because our pouches are so small and it can irritate stomachs (cause ulcers) he said to just use tylenol from now on, and to definitely stay away from aspirin which can do the most damage.

Toni - sorry to hear about your Migraine. I get them occasionally so I feel your pain!!

Okay - one more thing. I know I've been raving about the Atkins shakes, but I just had one of my mom's weight watchers vanilla shakes (made from powder and skim milk). I put it into a blender with ice and made it nice and thick and BOY is it yummy!! I'm going to make my mom buy some more of these on her next trip to WW!

I know every surgeon is different, but mine doesn't want me taking ibuproferin for pain ever. Because our pouches are so small and it can irritate stomachs (cause ulcers) he said to just use tylenol from now on, and to definitely stay away from aspirin which can do the most damage.

Toni - sorry to hear about your Migraine. I get them occasionally so I feel your pain!!

I was wondering if there was any one else whose doctor said nothing but Tylenol from now on. I've always taken everything but tylenol hope it works as well as Aleve and motrin