Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry at 3 days post-op?

I'm on puréed (sleeved 4/15) and I am full and satisfied for 2-3 hrs after a few bites of mush. The growling happened to me for the first week or so but now that I'm eating more thicker foods it doesn't do it as much. I very much thought it was hunger but maybe it was just similar sound and feeling- maybe it was just the stomach juices bubbling up and being confused with what was going in. Quite frankly I couldn't tell the difference between farts vs poops, burps vs barfs or anything that was going on inside me until the past few days I haven't felt normal. We need to just stay positive and follow the protocol and we should be fine.

Exactly!! I can't read my stomach at all right now! I'll be really happy when I get all of these new physical feelings sorted out.

Yeah, I wish someone had warned me of "passing gas" -vs- "passing something more". Only took one suprise though. Have had occsional burps, but they were just that. Wierd sensation continues that when I take anything in by mouth, I can feel it slide all the way down my esophagus, then enter my stomach. More pronounced or just more aware of what is going on??? As an RN, I believe all the stomach growlings I experienced the first 1 1/2 weeks was the air they put into your abdominal cavity to do the surgery. Glad mine stayed in my abdomen. Some ppl have shoulder pain, which I hear is quite untolerable. Anyway, I walked that off...bye bye. Now, just drink, drink, drink. : )

Yeah, I wish someone had warned me of "passing gas" -vs- "passing something more". Only took one suprise though. Have had occsional burps, but they were just that. Wierd sensation continues that when I take anything in by mouth, I can feel it slide all the way down my esophagus, then enter my stomach. More pronounced or just more aware of what is going on??? As an RN, I believe all the stomach growlings I experienced the first 1 1/2 weeks was the air they put into your abdominal cavity to do the surgery. Glad mine stayed in my abdomen. Some ppl have shoulder pain, which I hear is quite untolerable. Anyway, I walked that off...bye bye. Now, just drink, drink, drink. : )

"Never trust a fart." It's true, I think we all figured that out pretty quickly. :)

I, too, can feel everything after I swallow go alllllll the way down. It's a strange sensation. "Full" feels a little different, but it's definitely recognizable.

I had the shoulder pain for most of the first week. It was very uncomfortable, but not severe.... Then again I have a pretty high pain tolerance, or I've just been through so much pain in my life my pain scale might be calibrated a little different. :)

I'm an RN too..... What's your specialty?

Diann, I have been an RN since '89. Most recently 7 yrs of ED. Currnetly 2 yrs in PACU, which I thought I would get bored with, but ironically not. I really like it. OCC. get the adrenaline rushes that I crave and miss. haha. Here is my email addy: Margicu@comcast.net My surgery date was 4/15. Notice you are an April Sleever too! Would be great to trade notes!

I had my surgery on April 29th and I didn't have much of an appetite for days. It wasn't until yesterday I started to feel "hungry" but quickly realized that gas pains mimic hunger pains and I just focused on sipping (as it relieves gas) and trying to move around.

I was also sleeved on the 29th and I think I felt hunger today. Nagging painful stomach growling. I are some sherbert and the pain went away! I'm starting puréed tomorrow and we will see if it goes away with something a little more filling.

I was also sleeved on the 29th and I think I felt hunger today. Nagging painful stomach growling. I are some sherbert and the pain went away! I'm starting puréed tomorrow and we will see if it goes away with something a little more filling.

You are started puréed already?? That seams awfully soon for being sleeved last week. I was on liquids than yogurts and applesauce for a week, I wasn't allowed puréed til week 3. Be careful jumping that fast...

You are started puréed already?? That seams awfully soon for being sleeved last week. I was on liquids than yogurts and applesauce for a week, I wasn't allowed puréed til week 3. Be careful jumping that fast...

Same here. Clear Liquids for a week, now I'm on full liquids for a week before I get to start purees X2 weeks before moving on. Strange how different docs do different things. I figure I may lose weight a little faster than those who get to advance faster than me. That's my consolation. :)

Same here. Clear Liquids for a week, now I'm on full liquids for a week before I get to start purees X2 weeks before moving on. Strange how different docs do different things. I figure I may lose weight a little faster than those who get to advance faster than me. That's my consolation. :)

Hi. I am 11 days post op and the only thing I can have ( much less tolerate) are clear fluids and cottage cheese. I don't go on purred foods until next week which would be week two. I get heartburn with anything more food like than cottage cheese. BTW, not a nurse but worked in health care for more than 20 years.

I was on full liquids for 2 weeks starting the first day home. All that tummy growling is your body trying to re-absorp all that air. I remember thinking: How can I have gas when I'm only drinking fluids? HaHa. I started pureed Thursday. Not easy. I remember having to feed elderly Pts early in my nursing career and the smell and appearance of pureed = ICK! I made a boiled egg, then pulverized it with a TBSP of plain yogurt (instead of mayo). Not bad. Like egg salad. Pulverized some ham salad. Too salty. Going to pulv. 95% lean hamburger meatloaf (ketchp on top cut off). Hoping the appearance doesn't ruin the taste. Hate yogurt but convinced myself I HAVE to like Chiobani Key Lime. No chunks! I think the slower you progress thru phases, the more you will lose too. My Dr. put me on Pepcid for 6 months. : ) No heartburn.

My diet is full liquids and Protein shakes from day 1 to day 4 post op then starting day 5 I can have puréed foods. This week I'm going to stick with cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce, and maybe some baby foods. Just soft puréed foods. I may have some refried Beans too. And Protein Shakes of course....I'm not liking them much this week. They all taste like crap. Too many in my Preop diet I guess.

Then after 2 weeks on puréed I can start soft food that I have to chew. Then after 1-2 weeks tolerating that alright I can go to a regular diet. These are my surgeons orders. Not my made up ones! ;-)

Edited by beeteroo

I'm 4 days out and I was HUNGRY starting the day after my surgery!! have been craving every thing under the sun. I'm on clear liquids until tomorrow when I can start my Protein drinks back up. I don't feel well as I'm in some pain and trying to figure out my Water intake.

Anyways...I want chicken. Lol

I am 3 days post op and my Doc has me on 60 grams of Protein along with my clear liquids.. This has really helped me with having no hunger pains. I guess each doctor is different.

I'm 4 days out and I was HUNGRY starting the day after my surgery!! have been craving every thing under the sun. I'm on clear liquids until tomorrow when I can start my Protein Drinks back up. I don't feel well as I'm in some pain and trying to figure out my Water intake.

Anyways...I want chicken. Lol

I am 3 days post op and my Doc has me on 60 grams of protein along with my clear liquids.. This has really helped me with having no hunger pains. I guess each doctor is different.

I'm 2 weeks post op and have to do liquids for one more week (thank god!). But I'm still kind of hungry after Soup or 8oz of Protein Drink. Anyone else feel the same way? Hopefully I will be full when I start the purée stage