Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking For The Right Surgeon!

Hey :)

I am 23 years old and weigh 440 pounds. I decided about a month ago to do the Gastric Sleeve surgery and there are SO MANY different clinics and doctors. My finances are pretty constricted so i have been looking into clinics in Mexico mainly. Just thought i would ask around on here to see who you went to and where? And how your experience was with your doctor? Any input/feedback is much appreciated and will help immensely in my decision on where to go!

Thanks!

I had mine done in Saratoga ny and had Dr. Baronov. He has been awesome and is extremely smart and informative! Great bedside manner and hilarious accent as he is Russian. He did an awesome job with me and has been right on the money with his information!!

He is one that I am leaning towards as well. I had also read up on Dr. Lopez who was with "A Lighter Me" and then left and opened his own practice, have you heard anything about him per chance?

I had mine done in Saratoga ny and had Dr. Baronov. He has been awesome and is extremely smart and informative! Great bedside manner and hilarious accent as he is Russian. He did an awesome job with me and has been right on the money with his information!!

Russian accents are fantastic! Thank you for your feed back!

I have heard his name on this app a lot actually- do you know what hospital he does the surgery in? - I started researching about a month ago and stopped for a few weeks but now I'm ready to put my deposit down. I'm leaving towards June so this week I'm going to decide on a doctor! R you looking to get it done soon?? So excited!!!

I have heard his name on this app a lot actually- do you know what hospital he does the surgery in? - I started researching about a month ago and stopped for a few weeks but now I'm ready to put my deposit down. I'm leaving towards June so this week I'm going to decide on a doctor! R you looking to get it done soon?? So excited!!!

I want to say his practice is called "Mi Doctor" but now I'm having issues remembering lol. I'm hoping soon I'm thinking June as well! So need to make a decision ASAP!

I had surgery with Dr. Sergio Quinones in 2012. He is in every essence of the word amazing. He has great experience, credentials, proctor certified, great pricing...the total package in my opinion. I would be happy to share my experience, and answer any of your questions. I researched over a year before making my decision. I tend to be a little...well let's say a lot OCD when it comes to researching, and would be happy to help ya with that as well. I work in technology, so I tend to have some advantages in navigating web information that most people considering wls don't always have the knowledge, or skill sets to know what to look for when researching. I find that many forums, while they can be good resources, can also be overwhelming, and at times hard to navigate to find specific information. Forums tend to do the best they can, but no matter the efforts put into to making it easy for people to educate themselves on the web, I find that there are still tons of people out there who simply don't possess the technical capabilities to properly use web based tools.

Through my own experience of having wls in Mexico, I totally get how scary and overwhelming the process can be, but to be honest, it doesn't have to be, and the actual surgery...at least in my experience...was no where near as scary as we make it out to be before surgery. Having surgery was THE best decision I have made in life, and because of what it has done for me personally, I now find a great importance in helping others that are in the beginning stages of their own journey. There are a number of great doctors in Mexico, and while I am rather partial to my surgeon, I try to help anyone who asks, regardless of what doctor they choose to have surgery with. The most important thing for people considering this surgery is that they do proper research to learn as much as possibly before surgery, and that they are confident in their surgeon. Do your research, go with your gut instinct, and enjoy the journey...it is truly and amazing process.

Hey :)

I am 23 years old and weigh 440 pounds. I decided about a month ago to do the Gastric Sleeve surgery and there are SO MANY different clinics and doctors. My finances are pretty constricted so i have been looking into clinics in Mexico mainly. Just thought i would ask around on here to see who you went to and where? And how your experience was with your doctor? Any input/feedback is much appreciated and will help immensely in my decision on where to go!

Thanks

Thank you for your feed back!! Being OCD about researching the person operating on you is not a bad thing at all! I myself have issues with research! Not my strong suit in the least!! So i was hoping this forum would prove fruitful and so far it has been! Again thank you for your feed back!!

I'm going to look tomorrow morning- I think my eyes and brain are about done today :) :) where would you be traveling from?? I'm coming from va beach - if we decide on the same doctor maybe we may see each other! :) I will be going by myself & I'm such a home body!! So I'm super nervous! But I love all of the support I get from here & other apps!

I went to Mexico and I had a wonderful Dr. I had some of the best medical care I have ever had. I went through this group http://www.mexicobariatriccenter.com/specialties-list/our-surgeons/ My Dr. was Louisiana Valenzuela, MD. And I had it done at Mi hospital.

I had 2 Doctors an internist and then the regular team that worked with them in surgery as well as hospital staff.

The hospital was clean and everyone was very caring and attentive.

I had my surgery on April 15th, 2014 and have already lost 30 pds. I weighted 315.

I trust this medical group, they are reputable and amazing.

Good luck on your journey!

P.S. Here is my doctors website

http://www.mexicobariatriccenter.com/all-doctors-list/dr-louisiana-valenzuela/

She is more than qualified

I had surgery in Mexico with Dr Quinones almost a year ago. I have lost 108 pounds and love my sleeve. I had a list of Doctos I took to my regular Doctor (my insurnace doesn't cover the sleeve) and she did research for me and said from my list Dr Quinones had the best reputation and she was truly excited for me. I loved Dr Q, he is funny, great to talk with and doesn't treat you like a number. I had a perfect surgery with no complications, his staff was wonderful and helpful. The hospital was super clean. I highly recommend Dr Quinones. If you have questions feel free to PM me but here is his site as well... http://santafemedicalgroup.com/page/santa-fe-medical-center

Michelle

I agree with what @zmdh39. It is nice to have people on the boards suggest their particular dr and listen to their stories but at the end of day you are going to have to look at all of the facts and see which one sits comfortable with you. Dr. Quinones, Dr. Garcia, Dr. Lopez, Dr. Venezuela, all seem to be great surgeons and their patients are advocates for them but make sure you look at everything!! Good luck!

*I am team Garcia!!*

Hello everyone, I am freaking out with all the negative replies for surgeries from Mexico . I'm leaving Monday for Ty and my dr is Garcia. What worries is how do we really know what they do to our stomachs . Can anyone tell me if an ultra sound is done after the surgery to show you your new stomach? Few people have found our years later about stomach was not all removed or have other major issues. Dear Lord all I want to do is get a healthy life, I don't want to fix one problem and then a new one starts.

@@fran2014

I had surgery with Dr. Garcia on April 8 and he provides you with a video of the leak test upon discharge from the hospital. I would take this to my dr. back home to have them review it and discuss any and all concerns you have. I think I heard that some of the other drs. do this also but I'm not sure.

I'm not saying this solves all but it helps.

Edited by O-Town Body Rock

I had surgery with Dr. Garcia last June and I didn't get a video of my leak test:( only an X-ray.