Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

I have a question for post op and veteran by pass patients. I have a major sweet tooth and although I know the focus is to live a healthy life style I was just curious if sweets are out of the question forever or if you are able to handle them in moderation (such as having one chocolate and not the whole box).

I know everyone's body handles sugars differently, i just want to know if you personally experience dumping from small amounts of sugar.

Thanks in advance!!!!

For my sweet tooth I eat Quest Bars but they have 20 or 21 grams of Protein them.

They are approved by my nutritionist to use.

I also use Bomb Pop Popsicles that are made with Splenda.

You may also have sugar free pudding.

One last suggestion is Petite Deceit sugar free hard candies that are made with Stevia. You can find them on Amazon.< /p>

Good luck to you.

I had the same question!

Chelly, thank you for so many replacement options!

Still curious if I were to eat something like a Halloween sized candy bar if I'd get dumping.

Would you be happy stopping at one piece though? Lack of size control with sweets is what got most of us to the point of wls. I'm actually afraid to try sweets again not because of dumping but because I won't want to stop. And the bypass got my diabetes in remission and I don't ever want to go back there again.

Would you be happy stopping at one piece though? Lack of size control with sweets is what got most of us to the point of wls. I'm actually afraid to try sweets again not because of dumping but because I won't want to stop. And the bypass got my diabetes in remission and I don't ever want to go back there again.

I actually am pretty good with self control. I can make a piece of saltwater taffy last me 15 minutes!

I'm just not sure if i need to learn to say good bye to those little sweets.

I'm able to have sweets in moderation 8 months post op. That means one piece of chocolate. Any more than that and I feel sick like when I was a kid and ate way too much Halloween candy.< /p>

That said, for me milk helps my sweet cravings. Also, fruit. Those usually give me enough sweet to say no to thay craving for pie I've been having lately, or the chocolate craving before that.

Sadly, nobody knows ahead of time if thwy will dump. I'm 7 months post op and can eat any amount of sweets with no problem. Thats a problem!

Sweets were always my weakness. Dumping is a strong deterrent that was very appealing to me when making my decision about WLS. Now that I'm almost a year out I still don't know if I dump because I never dared to try anything not recommended by my nut. I found that after a few months w/o sugar that I don't crave it anymore. I'm afraid that eating something w/sugar, no matter how small, will trigger those old insatiable cravings. Because of that, and because of how good I feel w/o it, I have no problem with the idea of staying away from sugar forever. It's my personal choice because I know my own weaknesses. Some people do okay with a little something here and there. It's a personal decision, but why play w/fire? :-)

I can tolerate sweets but not foods high in fat. I haven't had any cravings for junk food yet. I am trying to prepare for that day. I know the trail mix I make is loaded with sugar and fat, but so far I have been able to control my portion size to 1/3 cup a day. I don't know that I will ever eliminate my sweet tooth, but I hope I can keep it under control. Right now the only thing I would like to start eating is popcorn. I won't try it until I get clearance from my NUT. I really like what terry1118 had to say about it.

Sweets were one of my weaknesses before surgery. I am 11 months post-op and experienced only one episode of dumping. It was because I ate too much. I do my best to stay away from sugar. In general, sugar substitutes seem to satisfy my sweetness cravings. I maximize experimentation. I have noticed that when I ate several homemade Christmas Cookies and candy this year, I saw a weight gain. So off the Cookies and the weight fell back in line.