Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Give your opinion to tell or not

At first I wasn't going to tell. But then I decided not to be ashamed of my choice and spilled the Beans. There will be those who don't agree but it's really none of their business.

I've decided to only tell my husband and three close friends. I will discuss with my younger children, but not in detail, so they don't panic about me being away from home a few days. I went to my manager and let her know I was having a procedure and would be out a few weeks and let her know she should expect paperwork from HR regarding FMLA. Nothing else to be said.

My husband has begged me to tell me in-laws, who have always been wonderful to me in EVERY aspect, but I've decided to even keep it hush from them.

I decided to tell my coworkers because it will be hard to hide it once I start losing. The only people not supportive were the thin ones. I really debated about this Just in case I started to regain weight but maybe that will be a motivator. I just had my surgery April 15th, 2014

Hi how are you doing? I'm getting sleeved April 28 getting a bit nervous!

I decided to tell my coworkers because it will be hard to hide it once I start losing. The only people not supportive were the thin ones. I really debated about this Just in case I started to regain weight but maybe that will be a motivator. I just had my surgery April 15th, 2014

I forgot to ask if you feel good enough to go to work? I only took a week off I told my job I was going out of town. Thanks and i hope your doing great!!

How did you get around not telling your job? I don't want to tell anyone anyone at work. Everyone always has an opinion.

You will have to tell HR but thats it. HIPPA laws prevent them from sharing that info with anyone else.

I know when I got my return to work dr notice they just put abdominal surgery. You don't have to specify what type really tho I guess if they're nosy enough they can look up the dr.

I plan on applying for short term disability

I told my boss she had a negative viewpoint. She does not control my std benefits nor does my HR dept.

We all have FMLA in the us ---- USE IT!

It is your right to keep to yourself or share.

I have told a couple coworkers am considering

1- what? you're not that fat!

2- whatever support you need let me know I am here for you

My boss - you don't need that. I am going on a diet to we can support each other. I do not approve of you doing this. That was 3 months ago. Haven't diacussed it with her since.

Jessb414 this is protected by HIPPA the problem thy I had was that out HR person is not knowledgeable of the law and wanted to force me to go into FMLA therefore stopping my benefits, not completely legal but there were some things they could pull back

They can totally force you to FMLA and it's better for you because it protects your job

The question is can they layer your STD with your FMLA. If yes. Then you are paid to be out of work. But if they won't later you are no pay for up to 12 weeks. I am getting two weeks STD and up to 12 of no pay FMLA. Either way she can't post my job or hire someone to take over while I am out. FMLA prevents that

I was out a week and a half. And I had band to bypass revision, with slight scarring problem from the band. And I went back to night classes 2 weeks after surgery. I haven't used pain meds since second night home. I was super protective of my wounds specially since I had a g tube from the revision. I would've gone mad with boredom if I had been kept at home for 4 weeks.

When it becomes obvious that I have lost a ton of weight, and people start asking, I'm going to tell them. My "out-laws" will just be told I worked with a doctor and eat very low calorie.

I have told anyone and everyone who asks or should know. All my coworkers, family and friends are aware ..... soon enough, it wiil become obvious anyway and I absolutly refuse to be ashamed about the decision I made to have the WLS (not to compare shame to others desire for privavcy) .... I have just never been a super private person and holding back is really not in my nature so i either had to own it or alter who I am and that just was not an option ...... So bring it all you "my friend/my cousin/my sisters brother aunt horror story tellers" and all those with the "easy ways out" mentality ...... I will educate you, I will prove you wrong and I will succeed ...... <wow, I sound so fierce lol> ............

With that said however, the decision to share the information is as personal as the decision to have the procedure in the first place and I respect everyones choice. Its definitaly not an easy one.

I had gastric bypass surgery 11 months ago. I tell everyone. Even strangers walking on the street. In general, most reactions fall into two categories - either supportive or curious. I only have one person who is negative and I ignore their comments. From my perspective, I want this operation to succeed. In a sense, I want to put myself on report. I want to own this decision. I want a thousand eyes on me, so that I am not tempted to fail.

Im in the very begining stages of figuring this whole thing out. I am not telling anyone, not my family not my friends. The only one who knows is my boyfriend, and thats because hes going to be the one taking me home. I know my family won't be thrilled, my mom died a few years ago and a elective surgery especially this? What if something happens? My best friend of 25 years will not be happy for me, if anything it could drive a wedge in our friendship. I will deal with questions when the time comes. Im not going to give answers, it's my business. It was a hard decision to do this and I don't want to have to justify why I decided to do it.

I struggled with telling people outside my family and also I'm a leader of a Girl Scout troop of Junior high girls; want to talk about body consciousness issues, talk to a 13 year old girl. I had serious reservations. I mentioned it to a couple of parents and they were supportive and when it becomes obvious to my girls I feel ready to tell them I had WLS, and it was appropriate for someone my age who had health concerns.

I think of all the humiliating situations I've been in because of my weight and I realize, I need to do this just for me. There may be folks who look down on my decision, and cruel people will be cruel no matter my size. Those kind don't have a thing to do with me.