Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Modesty during Surgery!!!!

Hi All

Can a nurse or someone who has worked in an operating room please tell me if I'm going to be lying on the op table naked during the surgery?? I'm soon to be banded and have never had an operation and I'm freakin' out about this! Are the theatre gown and undies removed during all operations? I just dread the thought of all my wobbly bits lying there for all to see!!

Thanks!

Emily

I have never worked in an operating room but I can tell you as far as my surgery went, I was without clothing of any kind. It never even occured to me to be disturbed by this but I know several people have talked about it. While none of us feel like exposing our larger than normal bodies to the whole world, the doctors and nurses in the operating room have seen several naked people of all sizes and I doubt they care. While it might not be easy to accept them seeing you all spread out on the table, I'll pass on to you what I shared with another concerned bandster....as many people as doctors and nurses see in the buff, I'll consider it a compliment if they decide to ogle me. :heh: Try to think of that and maybe it won't make it so difficult. Hope everything goes well!

I can't tell you what happened while I was under anesthesia, but I went into the operating room wearing a hospital gown and the hospital paper panties.

When I woke up I was wearing the same thing. I am not sure if the hospital staff undressed me while I was there. Or if they merely uncovered the areas they were working on. I think it all depends on the surgeon!

i just had OR rotation as a student nurse, and from what i saw, they take off whatever needs to be taken off! i did notice though, that they wait till the person is 'out' to take off their gowns, panties, etc. and they put them back on before they 'wake you up'. i stood there in sheer horror thinking how my fat rolls are gonna flop over the 6" (or so it seemed) table! but i guess at the end of the day, look how many of us they have seen, and just keep your eye on the prize! good luck to you---

~courtney

Look at it like this --- I dont think there is too much that a doctor hasn't already seen!!!!

I know what you mean but just think about all the fat naked bodies these people see every day . If you've ever had a baby you have no modestity left anyway.

I dressed in a gown and paper booties the second I got there (no undies), and was put into a comfy recliner where they started an IV and gave me some heated blankets. I sat in that room with my husband and relaxed for a bit. They prepped me for surgery there as much as they could (started an IV, asked questions, made me drink something nasty) then they got me up and I walked into the OR and stepped up onto the table with a footstool. The OR table was a small but thankfully heated bed. They finished whatever they needed to do in terms of prep (with my gown on) and then put something in my IV to zone me out. Then everything else (including catheter insertion) was done after I was completely out. Everyone was very respectful and kind. I felt like I was treated with a lot of dignity. When I woke up, I had been re-dressed.

My surgeon does all kinds of surgeries, not just lap band. They have seen it all / done it all. The good, the bad and the ugly. LOL.

One thing that I hated was when they put the mask over my face with anesthesia in it. I could barely speak by then but I turned my head and managed to say, "clausterphobic." LOL. Then they just held it above my mouth until I went out / could tolerate the sealed mask over my mouth.