Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 years out and struggling!

I am 4 years out from my band and have been really struggling. I have gained back about 30lbs. I'm trying hard to get back on track but just need some help. I'm having trouble figuring out how many calories I need to eat and when I need to eat. I still have it in my head that I need to eat at certain times and not necessarily when I'm actually hungry. Does anyone have any tips for me? Thanks!!

Hi boo. I'm 15 months out from my band and trying to understand why you, or many other veteran bandsters struggle years later. I'm presuming you were successful for most of your banded life so what is it that is making you currently struggle? Are you eating more? Are you making poor food choices? Are you not exercising? I'm really curious because I am hoping with all my heart to not be one of those who struggle in the future. Can you enlighten this relative newbie? Thanks.

I was successful and did really good the first couple years. I guess I went back to my old eating habits. Started dating someone who loved to cook and go out to eat so we would eat together... A lot! For a while my band was to tight so I was getting sick a lot and felt like I wasn't eating enough or getting enough nutrients and always had heart burn. Then I had all my Fluid removed and kept it like that for to long and went back to old eating habits. That's how I gain it back

Thanks boo. I really appreciate you responding. Now that I've lost so much weight, I am really concerned about the maintaining. It's not the first time I've lost alot of weight but I sure as hell want it to be the last time. I understand how life and circumstances can throw you for a loop and get you off track. I also hear from folks that they don't feel well and start messing around with their fills. I have no Fluid in my band. I got really really lucky and had restriction with an open band but I still worry about upsetting things somehow and losing the feeling of restriction. Please keep me posted and let me know how you are doing.

I am 4 years out from my band and have been really struggling. I have gained back about 30lbs. I'm trying hard to get back on track but just need some help. I'm having trouble figuring out how many calories I need to eat and when I need to eat. I still have it in my head that I need to eat at certain times and not necessarily when I'm actually hungry. Does anyone have any tips for me? Thanks!!

I too am 4 years out, I too gained weight and yes it is hard to get back on tract.

I recently went and got a fill lost 7lbs in 1 week felt to tight got an un-fill gained 2 lbs back in 1 week :( ( I expected this however)

I have started to use My Fitness Pal to help me monitor my calories and stuff. According to that app I should eat 1100'ish calories/day to loose 2 lbs a week, 1300'ish calories/day to loose 1.5 lbs a week or 1600'ish calories/day to loose 1 lb a week. But this is based on my height, weight, and and activity level. Everyone is different.

I too am confused about how many calories I should really be eating, but I know that I'm not hungry and since I'm monitoring my food intake I can control cravings.

Edited by Zeniada B

I'm 6 years out and I can tell you my biggest downfall is resorting to alcohol in times of trouble. A little here and there leads to a lot and before you know it you are ignoring all the rules.

My advice: find a drink now that is low carb and not carbonated so you have a go to if you need it. Beer is not ever a bands friend!!

Also, don't fall into the trap of allowing yourself sweets just because you can still fit under your carb max or your calorie max...pretty soon you'll be back to eating way more of those than you can because you started with one and they slide down easy.

sorry been a long time since I have visited lapband site. I too am struggleing with my weight loss since I have been banded 6 years ago. I have gained back around 28 lbs. I was not excersing for around a month but have gotton back on track. My band had to loosened because I was regertating at night. since loosening the band I am hungry all the time. I have a lot of stress in my life right now so I am thinking the stress caused my band to get too tight. Is this possible? Would love to have someone support me to get on right track. Help!