Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How were you feeling 3 weeks out?

So, I finally have my surgery date! I'll be sleeved (assuming nothing is weird with my EDG) on May 28th. I'll take a week off from university/work, and then the following week the university has free. This means I don't need to be back until June 17th, which is just a day shy of three weeks post-surgery. I'm not too worried about being a student in class. I can sit and sip my Water, and it shouldn't be a problem. But once a week I also TA a class, which mean I spend 90 minutes teaching bachelors students (there's also a lot of prep work involved, but this can be done at home).

I posted about this once before, but it seems more pressing now that I actually have the dates in front of me. I'm just wondering where you all were at at three weeks out, both physically and mentally. Do you think you could have explained complicated concepts to people who needed help understanding? A large component of teaching is performing and helping students engage with the material, but I'm worried I won't have the energy to do this well - that I won't be capable of being 'on.' Also, not only do I worry about doing my job well, but I'm also worried people will notice if I seem different after my two week absence, and I don't want anyone wondering if I've had weight loss surgery...

I am 4 weeks out and I have to admit -it has been very hard getting Protein and fluids in. I can tell if I haven't eaten enough or had enough to drink. (I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat) It is VERY hard to concentrate not to mention the headaches. I know that age can play a factor as well- I'm 51 and it takes me some time to recover. Keep up with your Proteins and liquids, make sure not to over do it on the day before you TA I think you'll do fine.

Hello WhoKnows,

I'm about 2 1/2 weeks out and feel good. Yesterday I walked 45 minutes. My mind is clear and would enjoy the challenge of teaching after my time since surgery. I doubt anyone will notice 10+ lb loss in weight. If they do, so what? Yes, it shows in your face fairly early but so does a bad case of the flu. Now the next semester will be another story!

Do follow your Dr's food, Fluid and activity guidelines.

Best of luck.

Thanks both of you for the advice! Luckily I have the day before I TA free, so even though I need to prepare (both in terms of teaching and in terms of getting my own work done for the classes I take), I won't have to physically go to the university, which means I'll be able to prep at home and take it easy. Hopefully that will be enough! Fingers crossed!

Hi! I also teach at a uni, albeit in Japan. I got sleeved on the 26th of Mar, spent the next week in my office prepping for lessons, and last week was my first week teaching of the semester (the Japanese academic calendar is weird, I know).

Anyway, I had zero problems teaching. No pain or lack of energy or anything like that. In fact, by working (prepping, teaching, grading) I was able to distract myself from head hunger, which has been the toughest part of recovering for me.

As for other people noticing, that's up to you. Originally I told only a few close friends, but their reaction was so positive, I'll now tell anyone who privately mentions something to me. I don't want to make a dramatic announcement or anything, but I feel weird fibbing to people who I like, and I generally like my coworkers.

Thanks so much @@ebert ! It's really nice to get a response from someone in a similar situation, even right down to being an expat! How are you feeling now? Are you doing ok eating outside the home while you're at work? Have you been able to start exercising?

Also, if I may ask, how was it for you being obese in country that isn't as used to see obese bodies? Germany also has a weight problem, but nothing like the US; plus I live in major city so most people are relatively fit, making me almost always far and away the fattest person in the room. Do you mostly surround yourself with other expats, or do you spend a lot of time socially with people from Japan?

I'm 3 weeks out and I feel good. I took 3 weeks off, but I feel like I could go back tomorrow if I had to. Some fatigue, but nothing overwhelming. I get out and walk regularly, run errands every day, do my usual housework. I do have to stay on top of my Water intake and Protein. I can drink about 4 ounces without a problem. I know I'm full when I get the hiccups! I burp more than I used to, loudly and suddenly (think, Homer Simpson kind of burps,) so you might not want to drink too much while you're standing in front of the class!

I hope your surgery goes as well as mine did. I feel like a hunger switch has been turned off in me and now I treat food as fuel.

I am almost 3 weeks from surgery. I went back to work 1 week after it was hard to sit straight up in a chair. Now I feel good! And my state of mind is very good! You will be fine taking 2 weeks off! Good luck!!

I'm three weeks out tomorrow, finding it easy could have gone back to my desk job last week, going back tomorrow. Keep forgetting to drink Water though, however liquids, Protein drinks and Soups going down well. Onto Mushies this week will try mash and cheese for my first meal.

I feel great! I'll b 4 wks tomorrow. I only took 1 wk off work. To be honest I haven't been doing well with my Water, Vitamin schedule, and Protein shakes. But I still have energy, and know my body enough to know when to sit down.

Right now I'm down 24 lbs. =)

Thanks so much @@ebert ! It's really nice to get a response from someone in a similar situation, even right down to being an expat! How are you feeling now? Are you doing ok eating outside the home while you're at work? Have you been able to start exercising?

I'm feeling good now. I lost 20 lbs originally, but now my body is in the dreaded 3-week stall. The Japanese docs insist on a slightly longer post-op diet--two weeks of thin liquids followed by two of thicker. Currently, I'm drinking fruit/yogurt smoothies for Breakfast and lunch, and blender-processed Soup or curry for dinner. The smoothies can be bought at local convenience stores, and I supplement them with whey Protein. I'll be really happy when I'm allowed to eat soft solids again in 10 days.

As for exercise, my NUT is really insisting on anaerobic exercise, not walking or biking. He's prescribed me a testosterone infused lipid blocker (called Lipokine), and in a couple weeks, he wants to start testosterone steroid injections. He really wants me to pick up as much muscle as I can while I shed weight .The idea is that he doesn't want me looking like a normal guy wearing a big suit of flappy skin (and I don't want that either). So, long story short, yes, I'm able to do weightlifting, but only as long as I focus on back/biceps, chest/triceps, and legs/shoulders. No abdominal exercises yet, and if anything is remotely painful for my stomach, I'm supposed to stop doing that right away.

Also, if I may ask, how was it for you being obese in country that isn't as used to see obese bodies? Germany also has a weight problem, but nothing like the US; plus I live in major city so most people are relatively fit, making me almost always far and away the fattest person in the room. Do you mostly surround yourself with other expats, or do you spend a lot of time socially with people from Japan?

I used to live in Stuttgart when I was younger, so I know what you're talking about. It's been strange living in Japan for the past 8 years, always being (as you say) the fattest person in the room. The nice thing about being a foreigner in Japan, however, is that no matter what, you're always going to be the strangest person in the room simply because you're not Japanese. Being fat in Japan is like having a slightly more ridiculous clown nose to go with the rest of the clown outfit that all foreigners are imagined to wear. Japanese people aren't too shy to point out the fact that I weigh too much--they commonly ask my weight and openly wonder if American food did this too me--but they don't do it judgmentally at all. They seem to like the distinctiveness that I bring into their ordinary world. I had an attractive Japanese gf for a year who loved my body shape.

Most of my friends here are fellow foreigners, from the US, Aus, GB or Canada. However, I have few Japanese friends too. I'd have more J-friends, but I'm not all that social and am rarely interested in the things they're typically interested in, e.g. Japanese pop-music, television, baseball or soccer.

@@ebert , thanks for yet another thoughtful reply! I just find the whole international bariatric surgery topic really, really interesting. And that's especially interesting about the testosterone shots! I suppose as a woman with PCOS (a hormonal disorder that means I already have too much testosterone), such a treatment would be out for me, but I'm very concerned about making sure I can gain as much muscle as possible pre- and post-surgery. I'm hoping to get back into the gym and lifting as soon as possible. You should start a thread about your experience with Lipokine and testosterone; I'd be interested to follow your progress in that regard, and I'm sure others would as well.

Also, love your analogy about the clown nose! Unfortunately, I don't have the protection of always looking like a ridiculous foreigner, since I only out myself as such when I speak (and even then, sometimes it takes a while). Hopefully my weight loss will just allow me to blend in with the Germans even more.