Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love food so much!! I'm concerned about myself adopting a new way of eating. I've never made it a point of controlling what I eat except for once when I did the SugarBusters diet. Then I lost 60 pounds. I still was able to eat but no sugar or starches. I think it's similar to Atkins. It worked so well for me. For instance I love fries. On this diet I could have sweet potato fries so there was no hardship. I think this liquid diet is screwing my head. Can I learn a new way of eating after all these years of eating my way? I live in New Orleans, the food capital of the world! Rich sauces, fried everything, creole this, blackened that, gumbo - the list is endless here. I'm concerned.

The only one that can determine that is YOU...

you have to be mentally ready for this as well, your smaller stomach will help most of the time, but fried foods, sugary stuff, and carbs need to go bye-bye...

The question is less "can I" and more "do I want to" I believe.. What are your motivations to getting the surgery? Will your life (health) be drastically impacted by the surgery? ( obvious answer- yes) Being a "foodie" or food lover or soon to be former fat chick I can say that it is a major decision to make. But....just because you have this surgery does not mean you stop living and does not have to mean you stop enjoying food. I think people who have the most success find ways to create dishes they can enjoy that also fits into your new lifestyle. I was never a big seafood lover before (ie: NEVER ate it if it wasn't a Filet O' Fish) but now I really enjoy blackened tilapia. You can create and enjoy with flavors as long as you are smart about the choices you make. The love of fried foods will have to go.. but you can learn to love the grill! Experiment with things you like. Take a dish that you absolutely enjoy and try to reimagine it as something you can have post surgery. sauces aren't no- nos, you just have to cut sugar and fat. So figure out ways to create the taste without adding things you know you shouldn't have. Go to a bookstore and look for cookbooks for after, I have two at home myself. Or go online. If you go into this process with a negative "I don't think I can" attitude you are setting yourself up for failure. But if you take this as a challenge, break out your creative side, then you can absolutely do it. Personally I believe what small sacrifices I have made are more than worth the results!

Good luck. I have made a lowfat gumbo Soup and it was great. I love spicy food and have no problem with it. I am going to New Orleans for a week in August, where the food is to die for. Honestly, I would not jeopardize my weight loss and happiness for a plate of fried oysters for sure (my favorite meal). Plus I would puke. You can adapt a lot of recipes but you can do it! You have to decide what is important, food or health.

Funny, I had a similar conversation with my NUT yesterday. I love Cajun food too -- grew up outside Shreveport, and she assured me that most people that love spicy foods can still tolerate them after surgery. So, you'll just have to learn healthier ways to cook but still get that great seasoning in there. And, who from Louisiana doesn't love blackened chicken, blackened fish, blackened anything! :)

Much success!

Ginger

found a restaurant here in Savannah that does blackened fish...awesome stuff...always loved it... all spices all the time!!! Should get a cast Iron skillet and whip it up myself! :)

I'm sure I will do the sugarbusters diet again after the surgery. The book is written by local Drs. There are many recipes there from New Orleans chefs also. I believe once I connect my mind with my stomach, I'll be fine. Plus I really am ready to push this fat chic aside. She is not healthy for me. Also, I think once this liquid phase is over and I can learn to eat again, that will be the key to my success. Learning to eat!! Thanks everyone. I just love this site.

Edited by yolicious1

Many restaurants where I live serve blackened anything you want, and fish is my favorite. I also like things like spicy chili, which livens up that ground turkey. My husband is tolerating hot sauce with his sleeve. We were experimenting with spicy foods at two months post surgery and loving it!

I won't lie, it hasn't been easy. But when you start to see the weight come off, it will be so worth it, and you won't want to eat any of the fried stuff that might slow or stop the weight loss before you reach goal! That's the best piece of advice I've got. <_< Oh, and keeping healthy Snacks like string cheese on hand for when cravings strike is always a good idea.