Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone eat pizza?

I am 9 weeks out and ate 1 slice of salad pizza. I ate the salad and then took small bites of crust. I only ate half of the crust. Some days though I feel like I cant eat anything. Every day is a surprise as to how much and what I will be able to get down. Today was a good day and for dinner I had 1 slice of london broil and some grilled veggies. Delicious! So happy! The days that I have trouble eating makes me very depressed!

I eat pizza often. I get the Smart Ones pizzas, or make it home made. I use a whole grain/wheat crust, reduced fat or fat free cheese, and veggies. Since surgery, it's almost become a hobby of mine to take bad-for-you foods and modify them to fit my diet. If I am goin to stick with this for the rest of my life, there has to be modifications and compromise. I won't give up my favorite foods, but I WILL find ways to make them healthy enough to suit me.

I eat toppings off the crust. I really like pizza stuffed zucchini. It's satisfying substitute. :-)

I'm on day 5 post op and missing the pizza like crazy. I'm thought about plenty of the foods that I'm missing and loving the fact that many of you are saying how you can actually eat homemade stye pizza which is great for me. Can't wait until that day comes...hehhe 8-)

I absolutely have pizza. I'm 13 months out, and I've learned not to restrict myself from foods I love, but change them to a healthier alternative. I will take a flat out kidz wrap, and throw it on my pizza stone for about 5 minutes to start to crisp it up. Then I take it out and put sauce, low fat part skim mozzarella crumbles, Hormel turkey pepperoni (these are fabulous), and then whatever veggies I want on it. Throw it back in the oven until the cheese is melted. I can eat about 1/2, and my kiddo eats the other 1/2 as a snack. He loves them except for when I put mushrooms on it lol. Sometimes I make a regular pizza but press out my dough to a thin crust and use whole wheat. Occasionally I will have Pasta. I like the healthy Harvest line. It's whole wheat but turns white when you cook it. My kid doesn't even know he's eating something healthy! Don't get me wrong, I do try to avoid carbs but when I don't, get a benefit out of them and only do whole wheat. If I want a sandwich I buy the thin rounds, use 1/2 and it's only 50 calories and whole grain. Soooo, lol, point being...I don't deny myself, I just look for ways to change it up :)

I absolutely have pizza. I'm 13 months out, and I've learned not to restrict myself from foods I love, but change them to a healthier alternative. I will take a flat out kidz wrap, and throw it on my pizza stone for about 5 minutes to start to crisp it up. Then I take it out and put sauce, low fat part skim mozzarella crumbles, Hormel turkey pepperoni (these are fabulous), and then whatever veggies I want on it. Throw it back in the oven until the cheese is melted. I can eat about 1/2, and my kiddo eats the other 1/2 as a snack. He loves them except for when I put mushrooms on it lol. Sometimes I make a regular pizza but press out my dough to a thin crust and use whole wheat. Occasionally I will have Pasta. I like the healthy Harvest line. It's whole wheat but turns white when you cook it. My kid doesn't even know he's eating something healthy! Don't get me wrong, I do try to avoid carbs but when I don't, get a benefit out of them and only do whole wheat. If I want a sandwich I buy the thin rounds, use 1/2 and it's only 50 calories and whole grain. Soooo, lol, point being...I don't deny myself, I just look for ways to change it up :)

I do these same things. We have to be able to have the things we love, just revised, if we are to be successful!

So with the sleeve, what does consuming pizza feel like?

Do you get through half of one slice and then feel extremely full and bloated? Or do you pick off the cheese and just eat that?

I eat the crust also. pizza isn't pizza without the crust (same as a burger isn't a burger without the bun). Doesn't cause me discomfort at all. Fills me up quickly (but then everything does). Haven't found anything that I can't eat. With the lapband, I couldn't eat Pizza Crust, pancakes or pineapple (my fav fruit): All the P's! Now that I'm sleeved, I enjoy everything in a really, really small amount.

So as I said before, pizza is a trigger food. I went to work today without my carefully packed lunch (first time since surg). I was tired from being out late last night, not really focused on nutrition. One of the docs had bought pizza for our unit several days in a row now. I resisted each day. Until today. I ate 2/3 piece of a slice of cheese. NO discomfort. But.... the rest of the day all I could think about was pizza. I ate another 1/2 piece for dinner. That's all I ate today. I entered it into MFP and I was completely full way eating less than a piece (pre-sleeve, I have actually eaten an entire medium pizza in one sitting - like I said, trigger food). I got to really thinking "is this really worth it?" On one hand, the sleeve MAKES me stop at less than a piece. But I felt out of control for the first time since surgery, I am only 5 weeks out and this was the first day I felt "reckless". So, even if I CAN eat it, it might not be a safe food for me. This was my first test. I say I failed just becuase I felt powerless over it. As I said, we've had pizza 4 days in a row at work and I passed up the first 3. I can do it again. Live and learn.

Oh pizza my sweet sweet child. my favorite food. Wonder how I will do if I decide to go in for WLS. the sacrifice must be made. moderation is key. I need to reprogram my brain in regards to food and eating. if I am to eat less, I should really slow down and enjoy the experience and taste over the quantity (like I have always done in the past).

Curse you pizza, how I love you so.

I am able to eat pizza. Crust too. But now I have one small piece as opposed to half the pie.

I am also able to eat pizza with crust but it takes me an hour to finish a slice and a slice fills me up. But I think later on in my journey I am going to make them at home on flat bread...I don't crave pizza like I did early on and ended up ordering papa johns and ate one slice one day and then second slice the next day and my mom ate the rest through out the week.

What about "thin crust?" does that go down easier for gastric patients ? Before my surgery that's what I liked vs the thick because it's crispy but was wondering if I'll ever be able to eat thin crust again???