Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone eat pizza?

I been eating pizza since I was 6 weeks out. I always have one slice, but I do not eat the crust.

i am still pre-op but pizza right now is like crack. pair it with a mountain dew and it's over!

I asked the bariatric coordinator specifically about pizza and she said yes, eventually I could TRY it but to stick to a PAPER THIN crust and only a slice or two 'squares' (in our area of the world, the thin crust pizzas are usually cut in squares)...

i'm great with that. i'm not sure if i'll truly even crave it post-op. if I do, at least I have the option to try it!

pizza is my absolute drug and every time I see it I want it so bad. I am only 6 weeks out and it is impossible for me to eat. I wanted to ask you vets if you eat pizza and at what stage? I'm hoping at maybe 6 months I can try it. But I'm afraid to be in pain.

Yes I do. My doctor isn't thrilled either. I use to have it a few times a week now about 1-2 times a month. Usually 1 -2 slices of cheese thin crust. Chew chew chew.

So with the sleeve, what does consuming pizza feel like?

Do you get through half of one slice and then feel extremely full and bloated? Or do you pick off the cheese and just eat that?

I have one piece take two bites crust and eat the topping. I'm very satisfied at that point. Before wls was 4 pieces no problem.

If I had pizza I probably wouldn't be able to stop, so I avoid it. Pizza is one if those things that I just like way to much to start having nibbles of! So I don't even go there lol :)

I had pizza last night, 1 small slice. I had half a cheeseburger the night before last. Earlier this week we ordered Chinese. One order of beef with broccoli lasted me three days. I'm a rebel, what can I say?

So with the sleeve, what does consuming pizza feel like?

Do you get through half of one slice and then feel extremely full and bloated? Or do you pick off the cheese and just eat that?

If I eat the pizza with the crust, it is exactly as you describe it. Takes me about 15 minutes to eat about half a slice. And that is with just canadian bacon on it. Get one of those meat lovers pizzas and I doubt I could get to that half.

For those saying that they fast after a dinner of pizza, or add more exercise, I look at it like this pre-op I would have 1/2 a pizza, now I have 3/4 of a slice, or a whole slice if they are small. I do my normal exercise. This surgery isn't a diet that I see pizza as cheating. It is a surgery that i chose because it helps me reduce my portions, and I never wanted to "diet" again.

For those saying that they fast after a dinner of pizza, or add more exercise, I look at it like this pre-op I would have 1/2 a pizza, now I have 3/4 of a slice, or a whole slice if they are small. I do my normal exercise. This surgery isn't a diet that I see pizza as cheating. It is a surgery that i chose because it helps me reduce my portions, and I never wanted to "diet" again.

Me again. Where I live south of Boston we have bar pizza. Small thin crust cooked in a pan. I use to eat 1-2 pizzas. Now I eat 1/2, 3 slices. They also make it "diet" thinner crust which is even better. Because there is almost no Protein I don't eat it as much. I eat Chinese food. Today for lunch we are going to a Japanese steak house.

Just eat smart. A dietitian told me that.

I can eat one small slice of supreme and that is it...crust and all...make sure they make it very thin!!!

Edited by Mikee57

A good point. Eating 3/4 of one slice of pizza or one piece of pizza, while filling for the WLS person, is seldom enough for those who haven't had the surgery. I think I had 4-5 pieces of pizza last night.

But on Weight Watchers, a person could easily lose weight having just one piece of pizza per meal (it's at most 10 points). It's just hard (without the surgery) limiting your intake to that.

I eat a slice a couple of times a month or every week if I feel like it. It takes me 2 sittings to get down the entire slice, though.

A good point. Eating 3/4 of one slice of pizza or one piece of pizza, while filling for the WLS person, is seldom enough for those who haven't had the surgery. I think I had 4-5 pieces of pizza last night.

But on Weight Watchers, a person could easily lose weight having just one piece of pizza per meal (it's at most 10 points). It's just hard (without the surgery) limiting your intake to that.

Yes I agree, and I was replying to post-op people that are still in the mindset of a diet, or that you are cheating if you have something that tastes good but isn't 100% healthy. I did my post-op diet a little different that most people do and my doc is totally impressed with my progress. I have lost 130 pounds, and I went from a size 22 to a size 4 in something like 7 months. I don't diet, I don't skip out on meals with my family. I look at it like this, if I have a meal once a week that is "junk food" the other 20 meals that week that are healthy more than make up for it. I never overeat healthy or not, and I get in my Protein and most of my Water each day. My blood work is beautiful, and my blood pressure and lipid panel is perfect. So I must be doing something right.

I would also say that I consider pizza to be a healthy food. At least, the kind of pizza I order and the portion I consume. While the Pizza Hut slices are tasty, that greasy bottom crust thingy they do certainly is not healthy.

I'm talking about the New York style which has that thinner crust. I like to choose leaner meats like ham or chicken and veggies, I consider free. I have no guilt having half a slice of that. As a matter of fact, just the opposite.