Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve..so many questions and fears

Hello all!

It's been awhile since I been on the forums.. Took a break after being banded two years ago. Only experienced 40lb weight loss on band in the two years. I'm tired of relying on slider foods bc Proteins can't be swallowed no matter how many times I chew, no matter how small the bites are. I started talking to my surgeon bout getting the sleeve and while I love him and the staff my gut (haha banded gut) tells me they will do what they can to tell me what I want to hear so they can get more money fm my ins company... He's a reputable doctor but after reading some forums I question his credibility..three questions I'd like to know from anyone:

1. If a revision patient have you been successful in getting to your goal weight, has it been a faster weight loss?

2. Is it true that folks who get a revised sleeve can and do still lose about 60%of excess body weight?

3. They entire staff is telling me when a person gets the sleeve there aRe hormones within your stomach lining that are removed with the procedure that are responsible for feeling hungry..therefore by removing these hormones sleeve patience don't typically feel hungry anymore (while I want to believe that I have yet to,read one sleeve patients testimonial validating that BS),.. Please confirm

I am in the same situation as you, my lap band did not work and I lost at most, 40 lbs. Here I am now almost 4 years later, reading the posts on this site (which I have become completely addicted to) and having to go through this all over again. The band does not work for many people, whereas the sleeve has significantly higher success rates. Just read all the posts from others on this site.

I am not speaking from my own personal experience, as I have not yet had my procedure. I just received insurance approval, and am just waiting for my surgeon's surgery scheduler to contact me with my date, but I have done my research and feel like this experience will be completely different from what you and I have both experienced in the past. Failure, and frustration.

I'm not saying this journey is going to be easy - but if we go into this with the right frame of mind, we're at least on the right track. Best of luck to you in your journey!

I had a lapband and like you only lost about 30 pounds. I was revised to the sleeve last year in May, and I'm already under my original goal.

I too am a band to sleeve revision patient. I'm scheduled to have my surgery Monday, 4/7. While I haven't had the surgery yet, I've been researching it for well over 2 years. There are many on this board that I believe confirm the following:

1. Yes, many who have a band to sleeve conversion lose all their excess weight and more. It requires working with the band and following the eating guidelines your doctor has set out for you, but it is totally possible.

2. The rate of weight loss seems to be slower (for some), my doctor told me this would happen and said it was because your body already understands what you are trying to do (drastic calorie reduction) and will work to hold on to weight longer. There are several on this board that I've read who did not have this issue, and several who do seem to lose slower, but they lose and that, to me, is the most important part.

3. Your doctor was telling you the truth about the hormone that causes the hunger sensation. It is called the ghrelin hormone and it is produced (for the most part) in a part of your stomach that is removed. Many people on these boards report no sense of hunger (or minimal sense of hunger) for several months (6-9 months appx.) after surgery. Beyond that point, your body increases the production of this hormone, and you do feel a stronger sense of hunger, but, I've read, not like it was prior to surgery, however, you still have to manage it. In addition things like acid reflux, GERD, and head hunger can make you think you are hungry when in fact it is something else. We have to train ourselves to recognize the difference.

I hope this helps, there are many, many posts on these boards about these exact topics from those who have had the surgery. It has helped me in planning to read what others have experienced and to understand that this isn't a magic bullet, but a powerful tool that we can use to help us in our weight loss goals.

Edited by trudyjo

Im afraid I question these doctors too. i wonder if they are just telling us what we want to hear because we are so desperate to lose weight once and for all. I havent been sleeved. I go back and forth with the decision. I was banded though, I lost around 75 lbs, but had the band slip. I had it revised and it slipped about a year after that as well.

I guess for me, i have been reading and researching for so ,so long and I cant help but see so many people go from one surgery to the next looking for that magic that will help them with weightloss. I mean when is enough, enough? when do we take accountability and try to help ourselves? Im not trying to put a damper on everyone, but this is where Im at right now, doesnt mean in a month ill feel this way, but these are the thoughts I battle in my mind. It like people who had the band go to sleeve then after the sleeve its a bypass then after a bypass its a revision to tighten the pouch etc etc. when does it stop? dont get me wrong.....im not against this, Im not very cautious because if everything i went through and Im dont want to make another mistake with something so permanent.

I was banded in 2001 at 272.

Lost to about 205 in a year.

Had issues. ..unfilled by 2003

By 2005...All time high 332.

Band removed and revised to sleeve in Dec 2011 at 308; lost 150 over 14 months.

Now maintaining in the 150 ballpark...total loss 160.

So for me the sleeve has worked alot better.

I was banded in 2001 at 272. Lost to about 205 in a year. Had issues. ..unfilled by 2003 By 2005...All time high 332. Band removed and revised to sleeve in Dec 2011 at 308; lost 150 over 14 months. Now maintaining in the 150 ballpark...total loss 160. So for me the sleeve has worked alot better.

I had the band 5 years ago and achieved my goal weight in a year. I was soooo happy with the band but after getting a stomach virus 2 years ago my band slipped, and I had massive problems with acid to the point where I was choking in my sleep and vomiting.

After a time with total unfill I eventually had the band removed in July 2013. I tried to maintain the weight but have failed! I have sleeve surgery on 22nd April. I can't wait to get this lifelong tool without the hassle of fills and unfills etc.

Jess

Thanks to all for chiming in!! For those who have surgery scheduled this month all the best and please please keep us posted.. For those whom have had success with revision thank you for sharing it is encouraging to hear about your journeys. And for those whom are skeptical of people who use WLS a a crutch.. I see your point but I can only speak for myself and say am I fully in control of my efforts, no..I'm always the first to admit it but the effort I need to put towards any kind of weight loss is 3x more the norm due to my PCOS and after battling this for so long and having that delay things like building a family my BIGGEST demon is to not feel sorry for myself day to day, to not feel like a failure and all I can do is try try try to focus on what I DO have and what I HAVE achieved and hope that in time my body will cooperate..

Wow...i love all the positive comments cowgirl jane provides!!! I will be band to sleeve on tomorrow!! I am goin in with a positive mind and outlook.....i just finished walking 2 miles and I plan on staying compliant...everyone is different and i am praying for great results....

is your band removed yet?

I am in the same situation as you, my lap band did not work and I lost at most, 40 lbs. Here I am now almost 4 years later, reading the posts on this site (which I have become completely addicted to) and having to go through this all over again. The band does not work for many people, whereas the sleeve has significantly higher success rates. Just read all the posts from others on this site.

I am not speaking from my own personal experience, as I have not yet had my procedure. I just received insurance approval, and am just waiting for my surgeon's surgery scheduler to contact me with my date, but I have done my research and feel like this experience will be completely different from what you and I have both experienced in the past. Failure, and frustration.

I'm not saying this journey is going to be easy - but if we go into this with the right frame of mind, we're at least on the right track. Best of luck to you in your journey!

No girliegirl, I am having both the band removed, and the sleeve done on 5/23.

I too was banded in september 2003 in Mexico, only had one fill due to being self employeed and each fill costing 600 or more. Even though i did not have the fills i still managed to lose over 120 pounds in less than a year. I was estatic, and started working out after the weight loss, kept it off for almost 5 years, though it was a struggle, worked out 5 times a week, had hunger, and lots of problems getting food stuck and vomiting. It did cure my very bad Gerd though. Went through some major life crisises and losses, in the economic downturn, lost my business, all my savings, commercial property, then in the middle my mother diagnosed with cancer and died within a few months. I gave simply sat on the couch and ate my way through it. Gaining it all back and 25lbs more to an all time high of 365. I am scheduled for my revision paid for this time by my work insurance May 14, with a comprehensive after care, and counseling. I am hoping this is it, I feel i can lose the weight, my fear is keeping it off. Its very different the 2nd time around, my expectations and dreams are more realistic. It wont fix my life issues like i thought before, but i do want my freedom back that i experienced the first time, to do what i want physically, energy etc. I am just worried that this one will work for me for awhile then fail again.

How are you doing post surgery??

I too was banded in september 2003 in Mexico, only had one fill due to being self employeed and each fill costing 600 or more. Even though i did not have the fills i still managed to lose over 120 pounds in less than a year. I was estatic, and started working out after the weight loss, kept it off for almost 5 years, though it was a struggle, worked out 5 times a week, had hunger, and lots of problems getting food stuck and vomiting. It did cure my very bad Gerd though. Went through some major life crisises and losses, in the economic downturn, lost my business, all my savings, commercial property, then in the middle my mother diagnosed with cancer and died within a few months. I gave simply sat on the couch and ate my way through it. Gaining it all back and 25lbs more to an all time high of 365. I am scheduled for my revision paid for this time by my work insurance May 14, with a comprehensive after care, and counseling. I am hoping this is it, I feel i can lose the weight, my fear is keeping it off. Its very different the 2nd time around, my expectations and dreams are more realistic. It wont fix my life issues like i thought before, but i do want my freedom back that i experienced the first time, to do what i want physically, energy etc. I am just worried that this one will work for me for awhile then fail again.