Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol and Mixed drinks

I'm Post Op Gastro and wanted to know who's had alcohol or mixed drinks. If so, what agreed with your tummy and what didn't. Thanks - dz

I drink a couple of times a week. It's not good and I certainly don't recommend it, but there it is. If you are going to do it, limit yourself to ONE. More is very bad with the sleeve. It dehydrates you and makes you drunk very fast. Sip your drink and make it last 45 min to an hour. Shots are very bad with the sleeve. Last, don't have sugary mixed drinks like margaritas, unless they are skinny versions. I prefer a small glass of wine or an ounce of JD or bourbon with Water over ice.

I decided to add Baileys to my coffee. It was my first drink after surgery and oh so yummy! I took my 3 little boys out for a walk when the baileys hit my head I felt so totally DRUNK! We were just down the road and had to come home so I could have a small snack and literally sober up with some regular coffee! Next time I try a drink I will not be around my children. So did not expect that!!

My OPINION you should completely avoid booze during the weight loss phase. Empty calories and not gentle on your baby sleeve. I had a tiny glass of wine at my sis' 40th anniversary party about 4 months post op and it burned...not good. There are more reasons I feel so strongly about this point.... I so strongly advocate making the most of that first year but I had so much to lose (150 plus) maybe I am more radical about it.

I am over 2 years out and maintaining since Feb 2013 and I do drink cocktails. I have a vodka with soda.water and muddled limes once a week - a happy hour treat with my dear friend. Usually with food (i know I am breaking all my own rules here). That gives me no problem but be careful... I had a couple of incidents of having multiple drinks and getting really unexpectedly intoxicated withOUT any of the "sick" - I see why sleevers might get addicted to booze.

I admit this with some disappointment in myself. On a recent vacation I had 3 (apparently strong) drinks and actually blacked out part of that day. Luckily I was in good hands with dear friends and a designated driver but it scared me. Booze and no food...very very very bad combination for sleevers. Trust me it is a shocker..as a woman who spent much of my life in the 240-300 range I could handle a few drinks no problem..different now. Be careful.

I am SOO thankful for the insight and advice. I'm going for the weekend and is like to have a beer or maybe a cocktail but wasn't sure what's result would be.

There was some good advice and warnings to heed. Thank you. No sugary drinks was something I didn't think of and getting the dumps would put me in the dumps for the weekend. ;)

I've had a couple if very tiny sips of beer but was too scared and haven't drank anything carbonated. But I'm looking forward to a delicious frothy one (that I will nurse ALL day) and maybe a bourbon or rum neat.

I'll be sure to give you the details when I get back. Love the stories and thank you again for sharing :)

This is all good info. Thank you!!!

I keep Crystal light packets in my purse when I go out I order a 2 shots of vodka with Water and mix my crystal light packets in my drinks. On these types of day I burn addictional 300 calories because of the empty calories. It's all about planning for me. Also I became such a light weight so that extra money goes to my shopping fund! :D

BS, before surgery, i kept Coors light in business...dr said no to carbonation so goodbye to that.....now i have 1 to maybe 2 glasses of wine.and try to drink Water w/it to dilute it....its all i can handle..and i def feel it (faster)...but since its important to use banders not to throw up, i try to make sure i do not get sloshed where i am the toliet bowl queen...anyhow, alittle won't hurt if you go easy..

Bander here so I may be offering non applicable advice...

No carbonation - anytime that I've had a beer, I've had to ask for a straw too to swirl it around to reduce the carbonation. Oh how I miss my beer sometimes. If I'm 'desperate' for lack of a better word, I'll have a sip or two without any problems of my fiancé's beer. Carbonation now is just quite painful. Hurts up in my shoulder area.

I'll drink wine and sometimes mixed drinks like a mojito or sangria. Again, need to be careful of those bubbles.

Yes they are empty calories but it's an enjoyable part of life. Wine is even healthy for you in moderation. I still keep a log of my calories when drinking. I'm definitely more of a light weight. I'll feel nauseated a lot quicker too so be careful. You're not eating as much, less food in the stomach to slow it down, you're not drinking as much overall (daily/weekly) and you've lost weight - all factors that contribute to your diminishing tolerance. Be careful, don't plan on driving and have fun.

I didn't drink alcohol till nine months post op (my doc recommended 12 months). I was always a lightweight w/alcohol but it's way worse now. 4 oz of wine gets me pretty tipsy - so much so that I will only drink it at home. I've heard people say that alcohol hits them hard and fast but it wears off quickly. I didn't find that it wore off quickly at all.

I can't drink red wine anymore - it gives me severe heartburn. Whites are okay, as are pink wines like zins.

Be super careful. You could get drunk off one small drink... and drunk enough for a DUI. I don't drink at all, but the Dr. warned us all about this.