Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why has Bariatricpal taken down all/most links to Duodenal Switch?

Is the site undergoing maintainance? Why does it give info on the lap band, sleeve, plication, bypass surgeries but not DS?

Hi Alex. I guess I noticed on your home page it lists 4 surgeries: VSG, Roux-en-y, Lap band, and gastric sleeve plication. I was surprised to see no mention of my chosen Duodenal Switch procedure. As someone who was recently rejected for DS by my insurance company, I guess I'm a tad annoyed that what I consider to be a SUPERIOR procedure is given discriminatory treatment in favor of lessor ones. Shouldn't the procedure with the very highest efficacy rate for weight loss, as well as for lessoning the risk of regain, be prominently displayed here? Haha! As an RN who's researched this subject extensively while deciding my own path, I've become a bit of a zealot in advocating for DS. It's NOT perfect...but IMO it's the best. Thanks for the ear Alex!

Wow......

We do mention the DS at the end of our General Weight Loss Surgery Forum description "Also contains the Duodenal Switch and Gastric Plication Surgery Forums." :P

I'm a big proponent of the DS and it's the best procedure, for some individuals. The reality of the situation is that only 1% of all weight loss surgeries performed in the US each year are the Duodenal Switch. We have a limited amount of screen space on our home page. I'll move them as soon as they become a bit more active.

Thanks for the reply Alex and I do understand the fact that DS is the least common surgery done of the 5 most popular surgeries. I also realize there are upwards of 10 bariatric procedures currently being done...and not all could be represented prominently here due to space constrictions, etc. But I also recognize that popularity of procedures is determined not only by efficacy of a given procedure, but also by the surgeons time constraints. Time is money, and if a surgeon can do 5 lap bands/sleeves per day vs, 2 DS's per day-at a similar costs basis, guess which they'd rather do? But as more and more patients DEMAND DS, surgical practices will be forced to offer them. Hence my desire to make information available to patients so THEY can decide what's best for their needs. Bariatric Pal has a chance to help to "get out the word" about DS, and so IMO should prominently display it as an available surgery type on it's front page, in addition to "the end of the weight loss surgery forum description" area. :P Haha!

And honeyg317! I do hope I've not offended you in my passionate defense of DS. I realize we are ALL in the bariatric family together regardless of our chosen procedures, and declaring one to be better or worse than another treads on other folks decisions and could offend them. There are MANY factors one must consider when choosing a surgery type. Cost for procedure AND expenses going forward, current BMI, risk factors, personality types, etc. Too many to list here! I had honestly forgotten that I wasn't posting in the DS board, but the general. It wasn't my intention to be a zealot here, but re-reading my message the use of "superior" and "lesser" to describe surgeries certainly comes across that way. Oops! :unsure:

I understand your passionate love for the DS :D We're taking a wait and see approach to see how the DS forums turn out here on BariatricPal. They'll be moved to the main index in a few months if things continue in a positive fashion and they gain some decent traction.

Thanks for the reply Alex and I do understand the fact that DS is the least common surgery done of the 5 most popular surgeries. I also realize there are upwards of 10 bariatric procedures currently being done...and not all could be represented prominently here due to space constrictions, etc. But I also recognize that popularity of procedures is determined not only by efficacy of a given procedure, but also by the surgeons time constraints. Time is money, and if a surgeon can do 5 lap bands/sleeves per day vs, 2 DS's per day-at a similar costs basis, guess which they'd rather do? But as more and more patients DEMAND DS, surgical practices will be forced to offer them. Hence my desire to make information available to patients so THEY can decide what's best for their needs. Bariatric Pal has a chance to help to "get out the word" about DS, and so IMO should prominently display it as an available surgery type on it's front page, in addition to "the end of the weight loss surgery forum description" area. :P Haha! And honeyg317! I do hope I've not offended you in my passionate defense of DS. I realize we are ALL in the bariatric family together regardless of our chosen procedures, and declaring one to be better or worse than another treads on other folks decisions and could offend them. There are MANY factors one must consider when choosing a surgery type. Cost for procedure AND expenses going forward, current BMI, risk factors, personality types, etc. Too many to list here! I had honestly forgotten that I wasn't posting in the DS board, but the general. It wasn't my intention to be a zealot here, but re-reading my message the use of "superior" and "lesser" to describe surgeries certainly comes across that way. Oops! :unsure: [/quote

Thanks I appreciate that. Nothing wrong with passion! We are all here to support one another. It doesn't matter which procedure you have as long it's the right choice for you. I hope you are successful in getting your message across!

I thought itvwas just my phone. Where can i find the DS forums?

When I was sleeved I decided that I would do the step 2 and get the DS if I failed once again. I lost alot and have been maintaining with sleeve since feb 2013... so far so good, but I really like knowing it is out there and has very good success rates. Becoming obese again is simply not an option.