Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in first 7 days post op - better or worse?

Hi, I am day 5 post sleeve gastrectomy and am just wondering how people managed as far as pain is concerned? Did your pain get better or worse? I vomited and vomited and vomited (and vomited some more!) for two days post surgery. Finally I was able to go home on Wednesday afternoon but I have found it increasingly difficult to sleep. I sleep on my back and right side but unfortunately I can only manage 2 hours (despite taking endone and paracetamol) in one hit and then I wake up with a feeling like someone is giving my stomach a Chinese burn, it is pretty uncomfortable to say the least. I can drink fluids ok with a few 'bubble' type pains and I make sure I don't go to sleep until at least 30 minutes after drinking. I'm just wondering if other people have had the same experience? The pain gets worse if I try to sleep for too long (longer than 2 hours). The pain is under the left to the side of the sternum. I can cough fine and have no temperatures. It takes me about 1 - 2 hours to comfortably get down a 'meal' (if you can call the full Fluid diet a meal!). Any response would be greatly appreciated.

BJay, it does get better but it's a slow gradual progression. I hope you have gotten over the nausea because that's not good for your sleeve or for you hydration issues. Could some of that pain you are feeling be gas pains? The only way to get rid of that is to walk walk walk and it will move on out and give you some relief. Don't let ourself get dehydrated and if you think you might be, go to the ER for an IV. That will make a big difference. You also need your sleep so maybe if you could prop yourself up with some pillows you could relax and get some sleep. Take it day by day... it will get better.

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure if these are gas pains - I don't get any shoulder tip pain as some people describe. I have read on so many people's blogs that each day gets better but I feel like my best day was Wednesday afternoon (when the vomiting stopped) and night and then from there on, it's just been downhill. Did you get pains like your stomach was being twisted? I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel :(

Bjay, please call your doctor and tell him/her that you are having twisting pains in your stomach. If you can't reach your doctor, go to the emergency room. That kind of pain is not normal. Check back in with us and let us know how you are doing. :-(

I had similar problems with no pain medication at all since coming home from the hospital. I would say, and I know this sounds crazy but, try to go to sleep without the medicine. It could be what is irritating your stomach. also try walking for about 30 minutes no steep hills though. gas and indigestion cause stomach and chest pains, walking could help relieve this. when all else fails talk to your doctor.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 1 reply
      1. kezbeth

I may have to have gall bladder surgery during my weight loss surgery. Not thrilled about it either but do not want 2 recovery times. Just want it over with.

Thanks for your post. I may need to rethink my decision... :(

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches