Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes its probably the fluids plus the swelling from the trauma of the surgery. I'm glad it went well! I can't wait. ..

Hi everyone. I'm 41 and I live in Florida. I am having my surgery on April 25th.

Hi fellow April RNY buddies,

I had my RNY on Monday. I actually had mine done at the hospital that I work at. I've known my surgeon for quite a while, and I have always like the way she takes a personal interest in her patients. So far I am doing great. I can't believe that in a matter of days I went from "OMG when am I ever going to be able to eat again" to "I better not put that in my mouth, or I'll be sorry".

For those who haven't been though it yet I'll break down my experience so that you can have an idea what you have to look forward to.

Surgery Day: Get up early and go to the hospital. I'm all nerves, so on the way to the OR they gave me a little something to relax me. I remember the oxygen mask going on, and then trying to wake up in the recovery room. Every time I tried to wake up, they would ask if I was in pain, I would of course say yes, and they would give me more meds, which knock me out. I really did want to wake up, but wasn't communicating very well at that point.

I finally got taken to my room around 4pm, and they started me on ice chips, and kept my pain level under control very well. I was able to get up and walk twice, and got my catheter out about 11pm.

Post-op day 1: They changed my pain meds to IV Tylenol and Toradol, with IV narcotic pain meds by request for breakthrough pain. I only needed those twice all day, and was up and walking 5 times. I had trouble getting in all the fluids and Protein that I needed so they kept me another night. At night I started to develop the dreaded gas pain, which put me even further behind on my fluids and Protein. My night nurse was really great, and we worked out a nice balance between pain control meds and my walking schedule.

Post-op day 2: Had a great night, and woke up feeling pretty good. Walked a couple of times in the morning and was released around noon to go home. Still had to work really hard on getting in enough fluids and protein. I felt like I spent my whole day counting my intake. Was able to go for a short walk with my family. sleeping in my own bed was awesome though.

Post-op day 3: Woke up feeling awesome, was able to get up and help with the morning routine and walked my son to the bus stop before needing to take pain medicine, Was much easier to get my fluids in. I'm so tired of chocolate Protein Shake. Still needed a little nap, but then went for a long walk after. Didn't need anymore pain medicine until night time. The heating pad is my best friend right now.

Post-op day 4: sleep well, and got up and moving early. No pain medicine so far since I woke up (did have to take some in middle of the night) My only concern is that I haven't had a BM yet. Hopefully that will come today. Today I advance to full liquids, so I made myself some sugar free protein pudding. Still struggling to get enough Water, but so far I'm doing better today I'm getting bored at home, but I have a class that starts tonight, so that will help.

Kfhf20,

Congrats on the surgery going so well. It has been very interesting for me to see how very different each doctor is in what they permit or do not permit. I had surgery 4/3 and I am still on Clear Liquids and will be for another week. It seems to run the gambit as to what you start off with and fast you advance your diet.

As to the Water I found a powdered lemon TRUE LEMON and am putting it and a pack of trivia sweetener in a bottle of water. It is very crisp and refreshing and makes drinking all that liquid much easier.

As to the Constipation I cannot give you any advice. My troubles are the opposite with multiple bouts of diarrhea.

It sounds like you are progressing along very well! Thanks for the update!

Gixxergirl

Just got back from the hospital. Surgeon was able to do the bypass but it took just shy of 4 hours of surgery. Might want to warn your husband of the long wait. She wanted to wait an extra day for the endo to make sure there were no leaks and there are not. I was dehydrated and required a lot of extra IV fluids. I got on the scale when I got home and I was 18 pounds heavier.......eeeeek! As I have had nothing to eat and only started on liquids yesterday I would say it was the IV fluids.

I wanted to wish you a safe surgery!!

Thank you so much. I'm glad that everything went well. I'm sure you'll drop the Water weight quickly.

I am 2 weeks pre op today so of course I started my pre op diet. It went well the first day and I am so excited.

Hello everyone my name is Tywoana, I live in Phenix City Al. I am a 41 year oldwife and mother of 3 son's. My oldest was killed in 2011. I was always overweight but once my son was killed I gained over 100 lbs. I tried to lose the weight knowing that it wasnt healthy for me but the more I lost the more I gained. I decided last year that I would look into having the sleeve and the job I had at the time excluded WLS from their coverage. I then made a life changing decision to go to a job that would cover so in September of 2013 I left my job of 10 years to start over at Wellpoint. I tried to start the process in 2013 but was misquoted on the coverage and the discouraged. I pulled myself together and did my research found out the info I had received was wrong. I had my first visit with my surgeon at the end of February. I was provided a list of what I would need to do. I completed it all in March and was given my approval at the end of March. My surgery date in the 28th and I have been staying busy to avoid the jitters. People that I would tell about my plans always say something dumb to rock my confidence so at this point I only confide here and with my husband and 2 sons. I want to say thank each of you for being so informative and welcoming!

Hello everyone, thank you for inviting me. My surgery was April15, 2014. I had a 2 week liquid only diet in which I could have have Protein Shakes with either fruit or milk but not both at the same time. sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles ( my savior).

Day of Surgery: My initial check in time at the hospital 12:30, they did not take me into the back until 1:30, and I did not go in for surgery until 4:30. I remember entering the OR but nothing else until they woke me up in recovery at 7:30. I had my RNY and also cholocystecomy (gall bladder removered) The had trouble regulating my blood pressure (it was high during and post surgery, pre surgery it was low), So they gave me 2 doses of Labetolol, and then a dose of heparin which the next day started my unpredictable menstrual cycle. (ughh). At about 9 pm I asked my awesome (she really was) recovery nurse to please go and get my husband, I knew he must be beside himself with worry. ( he was). I finally got transferred to a room at 11:30 pm . I have 3 dermabonded ports, a JP drain and another drain

1 day Post op : slept ok, nothing by mouth until after Upper GI. Upper GI cleared at 11:30. 12:00 pm first meal: 1 sugar free popsicle, 12 oz G2 light (took me 24 hours to finish) and chicken broth( did not touch it first meal) It all just seemed like a lot of food. Walked 3 times. Catheter removed. Md says dont worry about Protein, worry about staying hydrated.

2 day post op: Walked 5 times. Took shower. Discharged home in the evening. Went through drive through and got meds. Went home and rested. Walked around home several times to keep activity up.

3 day post op: Walked around home, changed bandages on drains. drank half a cup of broth, 2 popsicles and G2 gatoraid. Bored, but easily fatigued. sleeping in recliner since discharged home

4 day post op: Still gassy, but better at times. walked around block with hubby. 1/2 cup of strained creamed Soup, Water and gatoraid so far

Hi my name is Michele I live in PA I have three daughters and a wonderful husband Jeff. I have not seen my surgeon as of today, hoping for a Surgery date in February 2015. I have severe acid reflux and severe neck and back issues, trying to avoid future surgeries. My weight has an impact on my breathing and knees as well. I am unsure of sleeve or by-pass I am leaning towards by-pass I need to loose over a 100lbs. Love reading the comments here. I will update you when I get a date for surgery.