Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Almanorgirl---You and me kiddo! Just got the doc paid yesterday and got some more staples (soup, etc.) from the grocery store (stocking up). Fixing to start cleaning the house....activities are heating up!

Been thinking about you two Jenny... - Just hang in there! Get your rest, walk walk walk...sip sip sip....and don't wait until you hurt really bad to take any meds....the idea is to keep the pain away, if there is much... I'm starting to gear up myself. Grocery shopping, bought some "loose fat pants" at Target because I have nothing but jean leggings. This weekend is serious housecleaning in anticipation of next week!

When I was at the doc yesterday I asked about getting a low profile port installed. They said it would probably be $700 extra. They said to talk to the surgeon when I go in for the procedure. My thing is that when he examined me he commented that I have very little "belly fat". My front part goes away FAST when I lose weight, so I am concerned about protrusion afterwards. They made a note on the file and also said he could opt to place it more to the left instead. He normally inserts it somewhere below the end of the sternum in the center.

I will be staying at my Mom's the first night but I WANT to drive home (about 45 minutes - freeway) the next day. My Mom is 83 and I don't want her feeling like she has to try to care for me, and I am more comfy in my own home anyway. Could you guys drive the day after (or would you have been ABLE to)? I'd either go the day after or two days after and I am worried because the 3rd day always seems to be the worst. I'd rather just do it and be done....

I will be staying at my Mom's the first night but I WANT to drive home (about 45 minutes - freeway) the next day. My Mom is 83 and I don't want her feeling like she has to try to care for me, and I am more comfy in my own home anyway. Could you guys drive the day after (or would you have been ABLE to)? I'd either go the day after or two days after and I am worried because the 3rd day always seems to be the worst. I'd rather just do it and be done....

Kacee, they told us not to drive for a week. I drove Monday (surgery the Tuesday before) and it was a little tough. The day after my surgery, I felt great. But that 3rd day was horrible! So if you're going to do it, I'd certainly say the day after. I hear you though about your mom.

Be careful!

You know what I find so amazing? It seems like the doctor's are all over the place with the instructions they give people. Some have long liquids stages, others go almost straight to mushies. Then, most people here talk about using Protein Powder. My surgeon told me absolutely no powders like that because they can plug the hole! No wonder it's such a confusing process.

In regards to mushies, do soft scrambled eggs qualify? Or would I need to wait another week. My mushie list just gives examples like yogurt, mashed potatoes, bananas, applesauce, and fish. I'd think eggs would be as soft as bananas, but maybe not. Any thoughts? I get to start mushies tomorrow!!

Ginger--in regards to feeling as if the cheese was stuck--it felt like it just sat there and then I got weird pain in my chest--I drank some Water to try and 'flush' it down but then it felt like the water just sat there. I burped--and only water came up. I ended up making a cup of tea and sat and sipped it and then the pain/pressure went away. It was the most awful experience I've ever had--now I've def. learned a lesson and also feel like I'm a little scared when I do start eating. But I guess I have to wonder how many times i'm just going to be popping in a piece of pizza cheese, right? ;)

Italian wedding Soup is a chicken broth based soup--it has pieces of chicken in it/endive/small meatballs and pastina--some places add carrots and spinach pieces. I strained it and ate the broth and gave my son the meatballs and chicken. My friend actually makes an AWESOME wedding soup but I didn't want to ask her to make it.

Hope everyone is recovering well today and that all those going today have an easy surgery!

amy

Can someone tell me where the lowest incision is? I am trying to pack. Not sure what to wear home. No bra, right? If so, for how long?

Thanks for all the encouragement! I feel better now! Off to chick. broth, Jello, Water, and C. light only tomorrow!

I have no incision below my belly button. They are really about two inches above. I have six total. I wore real loose warm up bottoms, the kind with a draw string. I wore a sports bra home, still have a problem wearing my wire cups, they get uncomfortable as the day goes on sitting at my desk.

GOOD LUCK!!!

You know what I find so amazing? It seems like the doctor's are all over the place with the instructions they give people. Some have long liquids stages, others go almost straight to mushies. Then, most people here talk about using Protein powder. My surgeon told me absolutely no powders like that because they can plug the hole! No wonder it's such a confusing process.

In regards to mushies, do soft scrambled eggs qualify? Or would I need to wait another week. My mushie list just gives examples like yogurt, mashed potatoes, bananas, applesauce, and fish. I'd think eggs would be as soft as bananas, but maybe not. Any thoughts? I get to start mushies tomorrow!!

I start mushie today. And soft scrambled eggs are on my list that the doc. gave me. He told me, think baby food, if you would feed it to a baby, with no teeth, then you can eat it. Also, you want to make sure it is not dry food.

I have never heard that protein powders could plug the hold. I guess if you just ate the powder and didnt add Water or milk to them, maybe, but that would be terrible to get down anyway.

Good luck!!!

ick, what a thought! Just eating the powder. Can't imagine a grosser thing! But, the instructions actually read "ready to drink Protein Drinks only. No powdered drinks because they plug the hole". My doc actually prefer Advantage or SlimFast. And, he says to always have that for Breakfast no matter where you are in your diet plan.

Hi again,

. Let me ask ya'll a question, did ya'll get an elevated temp during the 1st few days or 1st week? Mine is under 100, but it has me a little bothered. My doc said that he wanted me to take my temp twice a day for the first 14 days, so that makes me wonder if it is normal???

I didn't get a fever. But when the nurse was giving my sister my discharge instructions, she said I might get a fever over the nex couple of days and it would be completely normal.

Hi Rubylyn...Just wanted to let you know that my doc said the same thing. Take temp twice a day for 2 weeks along with my Heparin shots three times a day for two weeks. I have been very consistent on the temp thing and the highest it has gotten in 99.5. I was told if it goes over 100.5, then call my doc. He said anything under that is very normal, but if it goes over that then we might have a problem. I would have to say that the one thing I have been dealing with that is bothersome is this dull headache that wont go away. I think its my sinuses. If that the case, I might call my doc and see what I need to do. Hope this helps.

Add me to the list of May banders. I was banded on 5/14/07 and yesterday was rough. Hope to be back on track pretty soon.

My Dr said you could drive 24 hours after your last dose of pain medication. I was banded on tue 7:30 and drove on Thursday 3:00 ish (seat belt was fine but, but port is just above belly button and that felt weird with my what I was wearing.) I felt worse on wed (and could not have driven sore and swollen) and better each day after that. It seems that everyone is so unique on how they heal/recover. You may just have to take it one day at a time to see how you feel and what your Doc wants you to do. Best of luck!