Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 weeks Post op and suffering terrible panic/anxiety attacks daily

Has anyone experienced this? Im 5 weeks post op, i have been on prozac for years, its capsule form, i had breakdown 10 years ago (panic/anxiety that lasted 4 days and nights uncontrolled, had to "think to breathe" and all other panic/anxiety symptoms) but have been managed since then, as soon as i came around from surgery a attack started as felt couldnt breathe, it subsided over the days and i dealt with it, went back to work 2 weeks post op, then BOOM one day driving to work massive panic/anxiety attack, rushed to hospital all stats were good, valium calmed me down, been in hell every day since (nearly 2 weeks) visited a psychiatrist and on 4 x a day special valium plus the prozac, he thinks my prozac has not been absorbing correctly (capsule form) or breaking down correctly as small tummy now and not enough acid production. I dont feel depressed, no way, im eager to get out amongst it and go horse riding, swimming, running etc, its so bad Ive had to be on indefinate leave from my job, no one seems to be able to help me and everyone is saying its in my head, if it is it must be deeply buried subconsciously!.. My panic attacks start with "gotta think to breathe" it can last for ages and ages and if i dont very very carefully control it, it realy spirals outta control, its exhausting and terrifying, the only thing that helps it is lorazepaem and special 4 x daily mild valium, had my bloods done, all it said that i was low in Phosphate but they felt that was common after stomach surgery and i had slightly elevated testosterone (had that before) Its just all so weird and frustrating, just feeling bit desperate and hoping this isnt going to be a forever thing, i dont regret my surgery and dont feel traumatised by it etc. Any help would be appreciated :)

I was told during my psych evaluation that my QA test indicated I had a little anxiety. I had a full hysterectomy and my hormone patch dose was just recently lowered. The psychologist told me it could be hormones and if it bothered me too much to call my doctor to adjust my dose. She also warned me that as we lose weight, fat cells release hormones that could also aggravate and cause anxiety to worsen.

I don't have anxiety but my depression definitely got worse after surgery. Around the 6-8 week mark things started to get back to normal. At 6 months out, I'm still not as balanced as I use to be, but it's nothing that stands in the way of everyday life. Psych has altered my meds a couple of times to no avail.

Physical activity seems to help me a lot - it might help with anxiety too. I also see a therapist once every 2 weeks.

you should go see your doctor. a friend was having these anxiety symptoms and turns out she has hyperthyroid. hashimoto's disease is suspected. if its not, you should still see your doctor for meds and a referral to a therapist, no one needs to suffer with anxiety. most of us medicated with food, now that you dont have this option, you need to find new ways to cope.

x

Edited by woo woo

Thank you soooo much for your replies guys, it really helps knowing that im not alone, i was feeling rather isolated about it all, I am getting better (i think!) day by day, the meds knock me around but im finding every day im not feeling so wasted, i live in New Zealand and im very fortunate to be able to get into this wonderful place called Phobic trust that said they can help me, and Im doing a little meditation mind calming course on Wednesday nights to help, im going to start swimming also (i find Water calms me) just gotta wait for one little incision to completely close over, ive healed extremely well (prior to surgery i ate a truck load of Kale, spinach and vegies etc and Im positive that has helped with healing so well etc) its just a scary time, hate going out in case they hit me but I know ive got my lorazapeam in my back that i melt under my tounge for quick effect and of course my paper bag!! hahahaha but thanks guys its been a confusing time, desperate to get back to work but not sure how long that will take, fingers crossed "this too shall pass" Im looking at getting a tattoo once ive conquered this to remind me that i can get through these attacks and i will be ok, just gotta keep occupied and positive! Much love ange xoxoxo

About a week after surgery I started gettting intrusive thoughts that I couldn't control. Like I'd think of something (like the Powerade I was drinking) and compulse on it for hours (who made it for the first time, why was it called Powerade, who came up with the word Powerade, who came up with the letter P in the first place) about everything. Constantly from morning till nite. After 3 days of this I visited my psych who told me it was probly either the lasting effects of anesthesia or my lacking diet. That he had no scientific evidence of bariatric surgery doing this but he'd seen it and other stuff with it before.

Just recommended I wait it out. It lasted about another day or so and it was over. Thought I was getting schitzophrenia or something. Scary stuff. I take a small dose of Celexa a day to prevent depression (haven't had a problem with it since losing weight but when I totally go off it I start to feel blah so I continue to take it.) Small price to pay.

Good luck to u...

I am 25 days post op sleeve and I have been anxious ever since surgery. I feel like I always have butterflies in my stomach. Last week I went to the ER because my blood pressure was scary high and I felt like I was going to jump out f my skin. My bp was down in the ER and the doc gave me some xanax and sent me home because nothing was physically wrong with me. My pcp gave me some wellbutrin because she thinks that I'm not getting the dopamine response that I was getting by eating. I took that for about four days but the last two doses I had horrible nausea. I skipped it today and no nausea, so that might have been it.

I hate this anxiety. Everyone tells me just to think positively but I can't shake the anxiety. I was happy before surgery. Worried about my weight and my health, sure, but happy. Now, I am anxious all of the time. I am losing a lot of weight and everyone else seems to be confused that I'm not more happy about that. I should be. I would rather be fat and happy than this.

I would like to try some anti-anxiety medication but they have so many bad side effects. I could be trading one problem for another.

Im sorry you are feeling like this.

Are you taking your Vitamins? Were your Vitamin levels tested pre op?

Normally people experience changes in mood due to the release of hormones in the system early out, but normally its being agitation and anger and restlessness.

I know that when you are low in B Vitamins this can bring on anxiety and panic attacks... specifically being low in Vitamin B6, folate and B1...

Do you have a history of anxiety?

Edited by AussieGirl81

I am 25 days post op sleeve and I have been anxious ever since surgery. I feel like I always have butterflies in my stomach. Last week I went to the ER because my blood pressure was scary high and I felt like I was going to jump out f my skin. My bp was down in the ER and the doc gave me some xanax and sent me home because nothing was physically wrong with me. My pcp gave me some wellbutrin because she thinks that I'm not getting the dopamine response that I was getting by eating. I took that for about four days but the last two doses I had horrible nausea. I skipped it today and no nausea, so that might have been it.

I hate this anxiety. Everyone tells me just to think positively but I can't shake the anxiety. I was happy before surgery. Worried about my weight and my health, sure, but happy. Now, I am anxious all of the time. I am losing a lot of weight and everyone else seems to be confused that I'm not more happy about that. I should be. I would rather be fat and happy than this.

I would like to try some anti-anxiety medication but they have so many bad side effects. I could be trading one problem for another.

It sounds as though it could be hormonal. Are you on any medications at all? Maybe they're not being absorbed. Have they done any blood work? Low potassium can cause anxiety. whey Protein has some benefits in reducing anxiety - try adding that to your diet. Hope you feel better!

Dear Spangebabe, I am having the exact, same experience. I’ve had anxiety all my life and was on 2mg Lorazepam since I was 42. The few moneys before my surgery I ate with reckless abandon. I’m a professor so I was off for the summer. I spent my days dreaming, reading, talking about, and googling gastric sleeve. It was glorious. I was 185lb at 4’10”. Although I was really fat and it was harder for me to move I never felt better. I was so calm. I did have a few panic attacks in the hospital but not too bad. I was great for the first two months post op. I almost felt like the surgery cured my anxiety. I was even thinking of getting off Lorazepam. But then it came back with a vengeance! I am at 4mg per day and that is barely enough to keep it at bay and that is a hefty dose. I wonder if it’s related to the heartburn we get after gastric sleeve. I take my lansoprazole religiously. I have no answers but I surely can relate to you. I hope doctors begin looking into the link between anxiety and gastric sleeve. We need answers.

Hi there

I am 6 weeks post op and severely suffering. I am an anxious person anyway, own and run my own business and able to get my child to and from school and everyday needs. Before surgery I was running about 50-60kms per week. I got diagnosed the day after surgery with surgically induced pneumonia which hasn’t been fun but at least it was something ‘real’ causing me concern. I have also had a uti since. I have been off work and have had temperatures, lots of dizzy spells and exhaustion. This week enough was enough and I asked my dr for a full blood workup, everything is normal. I have realised I am just having anxiety that is presenting in a way I’m not used to. I am having heart palpitations, yesterday I was kneeling talking to a friend’s baby and all of a sudden just saw black - none of these things have happened to me before but I understand are common for anxiety. I am so regretful for having the surgery I am literally just existing. I am too exhausted to do more than what I am , walking my dogs daily is the most exercise I’m getting. 20 kilos ago I was running , didn’t have massive bags under my eyes or any of the other things above. I feel so so lost