Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

I'm 1 week post op and thinking about adding Biotin to avoid Hair loss. Any experience with this supplement? If so, how much do you take and does it work?

Also, is there anything else for hair loss you are taking that works or doesn't work?

I already have fine hair so I can't lose any! lol :)

This is one of the most popular topics discussed here. HERE is a recent thread.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/300353-hair-loss-a-harsh-reality-picture-of-loss/

I tried everything, but I still lost hair. IMO, it is a result of the hormones released from the fat deposits as you rapidly lose weight.

hair loss here, too...it sucks.

My doc approved use of Biotin and Folic Acid. She isn't convinced that there is anything that will stop Hair loss, but didn't discourage me from trying. I also use Nioxin Shampoo.< /p>

I started losing my hair at 2 months and I'll be 4 months next week - I'm still losing. I can see some new growth which is encouraging. But I've been losing more in the last few weeks.

My doc said that anything you lose due to the surgery, will grow back.

Thanks McButterPants! When did you start the Biotin? I'm hoping if I start it now it will prevent hair loss. I'm silly though, I just read the ingredients on the liquid Vitamin suppliment I'm taking and it has Biotin in it already so I don't need to buy any, bonus! :) I'm taking VEMA. Started it on Friday, 5 days post op. It also has folic acid. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm taking Biotin and folic acid too. My daughter's nutritionist told me to buy her methylfolate as it is more bio-available and her folate level was low (not a bariatric patient). She said regular folate doesn't absorb nearly as well. I also have been following a woman on youtube (actually a bunch of people) who goes by attagirlsherrie and her hair is amazing 7 months out. She recommended a product called SIBU http://www.amazon.com/Sibu-Beauty-Liquid-Supplement-Nails/dp/B002C6T1JQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394485896&sr=8-3&keywords=sibu

I put a serving in my smoothie as it's not the greatest tasting stuff, but it is full of omega's including hard to get 7. Take a look at her videos and her hair! I also read zinc is important and have been sucking on a zinc lozenge everyday and will pick it up again once my tummy heals a little better (only day 5!) Keep up your Protein too. I'm going to try minoxidil if my hair starts shedding too bad. What does Nioxin do? Is it a minoxidil Shampoo?

From what I have researched Hair loss happens and it's an individual thing as to how much and where. It can't hurt to try and slow it down until the regrowth phase!

Just to let you know, I started Biotin about a month prior to surgery and continued for about a month after it started falling out. So, for me, there was no hope. At least for Biotin being the cure for hair loss. But as is pointed out in the thread I posted above, I'm now hairier than I have ever been ... :(

As a hairstylist, I can tell you that Biotin will NOT keep you from losing hair. It only helps hair grow be stronger and grow back stronger. Something like rogaine (however you spell it) or nioxin is going to be the types of things that MIGHT help losing hair.

I'm 3 months post-op and haven't noticed any loss (yet)..I too have fine hair and started taking Biotin right after surgery as directed by my NUT...I take 10,000 a day: 1 tablet AM - 1 tablet PM....I PRAY I don't see loss but after reading everyone's post I fear it's inevitable :(

I've been taking Minoxidil for almost a year now for my PCOS related hair loss, and it's really, really helped (I'm totally committed to taking it for the rest of my life). Today I went to the pharmacy to pick up my supply for the next couple months and asked the pharmacist if she thought it will also help me not lose hair after surgery. She prefaced her answer by saying that she doesn't know about the surgery, but that from what I told her, she doubts it will help much. She added that, as everyone else always says, the hair should come back on it's own after the post-surgery shed (but that I should continue with the Minoxidil throughout). So, if you were losing hair before surgery, I totally recommend Minoxidil, but if you're just having the normal Hair loss that comes with the sleeve, I wouldn't bother.

Hair loss problem can be avoided consuming hair skin and nail Vitamin supplement. If you are worried about your hair loss problem, then I strongly recommend you to use vita4life’s hair supplement products. I truly can say, you will not regret it.

I take 10000mcg a day! I started few weeks prior to surgery so that I get in the habit of taking it

I'm taking my Biotin and folic acid dose from vita4life’s hair skin and nail vitamin, and it is hard to believe but its results are very impressive.

I took it, (still do), but don't believe it made a real difference in hair loss. I lost a little, but didn't notice until I saw the short pieces coming back in. I think Protein and getting enough calories early on has as much to do with it as anything, but some folks get it worse than others no matter what they do. Biotin has been proven to help hair and nails grow faster, which is desirable if you DO lose some hair. I sure do notice a difference in how my nails grow now! Good new is, it comes back. Just one of the risks\prices of surgery. Bottom line, it can't hurt, so I did it.

Edited by bikrchk

On 3/10/2014 at 7:55 PM, onedaycloser said:

I'm 3 months post-op and haven't noticed any loss (yet)..I too have fine hair and started taking Biotin right after surgery as directed by my NUT...I take 10,000 a day: 1 tablet AM - 1 tablet PM....I PRAY I don't see loss but after reading everyone's post I fear it's inevitable :(

do you take regular Biotin or one specifically for after WLS?

I can tell you i have thin baby fine hair and I wish I'd found Biotin years and years ago.. I think my hair has got fuller and it grows now.. I take the highest amout they have and I use to do 1 in the morn and 1 at night but now I just do 1 at night just cause I forget the 1 in the morn to often