Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So since this is a NJ thread... Has anyone in NJ been banded by Dr. Nusbaum (http://www.obesitytreatmentcentersofnewjersey.com/)? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Hi, I live down the shore and came all the way up to have Dr. Nusbaum do my surgery - my daughter's co-worker had it done - she is a nurse and did all the research on him and I have to admit he is great!!!

I had my surgery March 20th and have lost 24lbs so far. The only discomfort I had lasted about 7 days - I had gas pains in my chest but the meds I had in the hospital and what I brought home helped tremendously. My scars are small and are already healed.

My only concern is he doesn't take my health insurance and I'm just worried about how much the fills are going to cost me out of pocket. From what I understand, you will not only get a bill from him, but you will also get a bill from the Radiologist and from the facility where it's being done.

I didn't have to do a pre-op diet but I would recommend getting yrself ready at least one week before with Protein drinks so that you know which ones you'll like. The first week I had nothing but 4oz jello/breakfast, 4oz crystalite/lunch and 4oz broth/dinner and an ice pop for snack - believe it or not, I wasn't hungry at all. The 2nd week I added Protein Drinks, yogurt, pudding. The 3rd week was the mushie week, I added eggs, mashed potatoes (I didn't eat much of that, I want to stay away from the carbs), oatmeal....and now I'm on solids and I can eat just about anything....BUT, you need to realize this is not a fix, you have to retrain yrself to eat properly. No more ice cream, or sugars, candy is a no-no, you need to learn how to eat healthy and there is so much information on this site that will help you. Down here there are no support groups so LapBandTalk.com has become my support group.

If you want to know anything else, pls email me at rlfoti@aol.com.

Good Luck!!!:clap2:

Reesh,

Quick question. Now that some time has past, did you receive any bills? I am waiting for my insurance to switch to Oxford (7/1) to make my call to Dr. Nusbaum. I've heard nothing but good things about him and a friend of mine had the surgery with him yesterday. She was told by him that he accepts what the insurance covers, he won't charge her anymore and our insurance covers the hospital. I am worried about the bills 'cause my husband is out of work. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dotem

I was banded with this DR as well. My insurance only paid ~ 70% for the DR, and I think 100% for the Hospital. I had asked the DR office to write a letter to me stating they will only require 70% and will not bill me for the rest, and they did. It's been > 1 year since then, I have not received a bill. The only bills I ever received from this DR was for fills, because my insurance company sent me the checks directly. If the insurance company ever paid me less than what was billed by the DR, the office accepted that as payment in full. So, same deal with fills. If you can have all payments sent to DR directly, though, it makes life a lot easier.

Reesh,

Quick question. Now that some time has past, did you receive any bills? I am waiting for my insurance to switch to Oxford (7/1) to make my call to Dr. Nusbaum. I've heard nothing but good things about him and a friend of mine had the surgery with him yesterday. She was told by him that he accepts what the insurance covers, he won't charge her anymore and our insurance covers the hospital. I am worried about the bills 'cause my husband is out of work. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Dotem

Dr. Nussbaum is not money hungry, he cares about us and wants us all well. I owe them at least $500 since last year, got one bill from them and they are not hounding me. I know how you feel I was out of work as well as my husband for almost a year and didn't know how I was ever going to pay my bills. They are very good, they will put you on a payment plan if you ask them and explain yr situation, they will make it as easy as possible for you. I only received that one bill, and haven't heard from them since. But I intend to pay them back as soon as I have the funds. I'm going for a fill end of July and will pay them what I can. My insurance doesn't cover Dr. Nussbaum - I have new insurance since I had the surgery. Don't worry about the money, just do this for yourself, you'll thank yourself and all those who support you that you f inally took care of #1 - yourself!! You deserve it!

Dr. Nussbaum is not money hungry, he cares about us and wants us all well. I owe them at least $500 since last year, got one bill from them and they are not hounding me. I know how you feel I was out of work as well as my husband for almost a year and didn't know how I was ever going to pay my bills. They are very good, they will put you on a payment plan if you ask them and explain yr situation, they will make it as easy as possible for you. I only received that one bill, and haven't heard from them since. But I intend to pay them back as soon as I have the funds. I'm going for a fill end of July and will pay them what I can. My insurance doesn't cover Dr. Nussbaum - I have new insurance since I had the surgery. Don't worry about the money, just do this for yourself, you'll thank yourself and all those who support you that you f inally took care of #1 - yourself!! You deserve it!

the only thing you will be responsible for is yr fills and whatever yr insurance pays, that's all he will take. Don't worry so much!!!!

the only thing you will be responsible for is yr fills and whatever yr insurance pays, that's all he will take. Don't worry so much!!!!

pls email me so we can chat...reciafoti@comcast.net

Hi! Thanks for all the info, Reesh. My surgery with Dr. Nussbaum is set for July 1 so I will keep you all posted.

Couple of questions for those of you out there who used Dr. Nussbaum.

How much do the fills cost? The insurance I am on will end at the end of August, and I don't know what insurance I will have next, so I need a sense of an amount

#2 Can anyone recommend a nutritionist that works with his practice? Anyone try the St. Barnabas nutritionist staff?

Rdk

Regarding how much the fills are, you will also be paying the radiologist for the fluoroscope but to be honest it has been so long, I can't remember exactly how much and like I said before Dr. Nussbaum's staff will work with you. My insurance doesn't cover Dr. N. but he only takes what the insurance company pays. Regarding a nutritionist, call his office or you can call St. Barnabas. The hospital staff were wonderful. Good Luck!!!

I agree! So far, everyone has been wonderful and no one has asked me for a dime. I was banded Tuesday, 6/24 and can't say enough about Dr. Nusbaum and his staff. He is truly in this because he cares about his patients and he has surrounded himself with people that feel the same way. I have only good things to say about my experience to date. Good luck to all of you considering the surgery - you have chosen the right physician! MM

Hi!

You said you get your fills with Dr. Nussbaum in a different location than his office. Where do you get the fills? Is it near Dr. Nussbaum's office.

Rdk

actually now that I think about it since he moved his office the fills are performed in the same building. On the first or second floor below the lobby.