Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you stop eating before becoming over full if you weren't hungry to begin with?

I am a no-no eater, i typically eat only when i'm hungry which usually consists of once a day. Since having the sleeve i never feel hungry enough to eat. I am scared of stretching my new stomach because I never know when i'm full until i'm over full, what am I doing wrong?

Eating once a day is terrible for weight loss as it will wreak havoc with your metabolism. The point of this diet is to eat three meals a day and keep your metabolism up so that calories will be burned throughout the day. You should eat within 90 minutes of getting out of bed regardless if you are hungry or not. You have to kick start that metabolism. If you measure your food to 3 or 4 oz. you will easily quit eating before you are full. Don't sabotage your diet with one meal a day, it will result in slow weight loss and you will become disillusioned with the process. You need to take Vitamin throughout the day and you don't want to take those on an empty stomach. You may need a consult with your nutritionist.

If I read your stats correctly, you should still be on a liquid diet. Sipping the Protein shakes slowly will allow your tummy to signal you when it is full (3 oz was the max I could take in for the first 3 months post sleeve). Sipping Water between the "3 meals" (again which should be liquid meals for you at this stage) will keep your electrolytes balanced and help with the scar healing from the surgery.

I did not feel hungry (and still don't even 10 month post surgery) but had to get into a routine of eating 3 meals a day. There were a few Saturdays when I would get so busy with projects that I would forget to eat or drink Water. I paid for it later with feeling weak, nauseated and palpitations. It would take me hours to sip enough water and Protein (I would sip a mix of water with clear protein mix from Profect) to get feeling better.

This is part of the learning process post sleeve. Eating once a day may have "worked" in the past but now you need to learn a new way of eating. This will help you loose weight and the habits you form now will last the rest of your life.

Good luck with your journey!

I agree with 1DAY..eating 1 meal a day is not a good idea in my opinion.

Once u start eating reg food at 6 weeks out..you need to listen to your body. I can tell I have enough without eating too much. This is what the nut advised I should do: eat 1/2 cup of food, Protein first, veggies second, then if room for carb., eat these as well. I can tell u that when I eat my protein first I get full really fast.. How I can tell..my stomach starts to gurgle a lot , sometimes I get hiccups, and tasking another bite is not appeasing for me. U have to learn to listen to your body. Before I had surgery..I lost the feeling of fullness no matter what I ate, now it is different..which is great.

I'm never hungry. I only eat when I am 'supposed to' eat. If there were no one else around me all day to witness my lack of eating, I would probably just drink my meals, or have juice or milk. Eating is not enjoyable anymore for me. Everyone I eat around now notices how little I eat. I just say I'm on a diet, but everyone still gives me a hard time. It's embarrassing and I try to eat more so they don't make comments but I can never eat enough. I stop eating when I know that uncomfortable feeling is about to come with the next bite. It's about 5 bites in for me at 3 months post op.

I’m a never hungry forget to eat all the time person.
But trust me you will know when your full!
For me STOP NOW is like a wave of clammy cold tightening breathing picks up sometimes my mouth waters like its getting ready to puke and you feel that tight feeling just below your breast bone.
When you first start eating food thankfully your so ugh feeling you don’t shovel food in so you eat slow and will tell your full signs pretty early on.
Once you get in the habit of eating slow you know the signs before they kick into overload, plus you will see visually how much it is and get used to it.
Of course denser food fills quicker but you will work that out too.
Not gonna lie your gonna puke it happens to everyone be it because we drank too soon or ate too much we all do it its just part of the learning curve but it gets easier in no time.