Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I was banded 07/29/13 and have since lost approx. 55-60 pounds (my weight fluctuates between 194-199 now). Anyways, I have monthly checkups with my doctor and have received a fill at every office visit. I am now at 7.5 cc in a 10 cc and STILL don't feel any restriction. I keep my portions small, but typically eat every 2-3 hours. Nurse said I am probably not getting enough Protein in my meals, but I am already eating at least 60g per day. I will try to add more anyways. Since my last fill (.5 cc from 7 to 7.5) I have not lost any weight or felt any different.

So my question is, has anyone else had to have THIS many fills before reaching the green zone? I'm starting to worry that something isn't working for me, even though I have no pain or other issues with my band. I know every person is different, just want to hear if anyone else has been in the same boat before.

Thanks!!

6 fills for me before I reached the green zone. 55 lbs is very good so you're right on track there.

How many calories do you consume a day? 60 g of Protein isn't very much. I agree with the nurse. What have you been eating?

I typically start my morning off with a high Protein shake, such as Lean Body. If I have some extra time before work, I will make oatmeal with an extra scoop of Protein powder. If all else fails and I'm in a rush to get out the door, I settle for greek yogurt. For lunch, I typically have a salad with some form of Protein (meat or egg usually) or a sandwich with only 1 piece of bread. dinner is the typical meat and veggie and a yogurt or fruit for dessert. I think my "problem" is the snacking... I don't eat a lot of Snacks throughout the day, 1 maybe 2, but it is usually something salty, like nuts or crackers. Any suggestions for extra protein throughout the day without full meals?

Congratulations on reaching Onederland -- and 55 down in 7 months is great. You are getting there, bit by bit! Pat yourself on the back for this success and get ready to lose the next chunk.

Of course every one is different so it's impossible to say what's right in terms of restriction. I have had six fills. My surgeon describes a tennis ball sized portion and feeling satisfied 4-5 hours. I had the portion part (would feel full) but not the duration -- was hungry again in 2-3 hours until this last fill. I find I am now able to walk away from Snacks that I was indulging in here and there. And I am exercising -- I'm pretty sure that's a big secret to weight loss success.

Good luck to you -- you're doing beautifully!

As you progress you should only rely on shakes as a last resort. shakes are a slider food and won't give you the satiety you need. oatmeal is also a slider food. Yogurt, most fruits are slider foods.

If satiety for longer times is your goal, you might want to eat more eggs, turkey sausage, 2 slices of bacon, egg beater omelettes for Breakfast.

lunch is always difficult but it looks like you're on track there. dinner, try to eat Protein first and then the veggies. And by veggies, I mean broccoli, cauliflower, green Beans, brussell sprouts. Potatoes, squash and other starchy foods won't give you much satiety and the insulin spike they give you can cause you to be hungry much sooner. Not saying to not eat these, just in moderation after you've eaten Protein.< /p>

My advice would be for you to sit down with a WLS friendly nutritionist. I did about 4 months into this journey and the advice given was priceless.

tmf

Thank you both very much for the advice! I will take it to heart and hopefully I will have the same success!

I agree with 2muchfun! Definitely try to have more dense, lean sources of Protein at each meal. I do have a Protein Shake in the mornings, cause my band is very tight the first half of the day, and sometimes I can barely finish my shake. For lunch I usually have some type of baked or grilled fish or chicken and steamed or sauteed veggies. I like to make fajita chicken bowls with 2 or 3 oz of sauteed chicken, a little sauteed onions and peppers, a dollop of plain, nonfat Greek yogurt and a Tablespoon of fresh salsa too. dinner is usually similar. If I make spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, I only have sauce and a meatball and I'm full, no Pasta. I limit my carbs to non-root veggies and occasional fruits. It seems to help with cravings of sugary foods too. I have 7.5 cc's in a 10 cc band and I'm happily in the Green Zone, but as you said, everyone is different. But I think you shouldn't give up, you're still on your journey to your sweet spot, and when you find it, it'll be so worth it! Best wishes :)

The problem with Protein shakes for Breakfast is they don't keep you full. liquid diets never worked hence Slim fast being one of those loser diet scams. Restriction is not about restricting your food intake but keeping you satisfied for 3 to 4 hours. I would say that you need more substance for breakfast. oatmeal even though it is good for you is a carb and within an hour you are going to feel hungry. What about some breakfast sausages or bacon that is pre cooked. Greek Yogurt with some Cereal added. I still eat every two hours because I have too. My blood sugar bottoms out if I don't. Try some lunch meat or cheese for Snacks and the correct amount of Protein is 70 to 90 grams to sustain weight loss. Or if you have to have shakes in the morning then you should add some good bulk fruit to it to help keep you satisfied.

My Protein shake keeps me full for about 4 hours, and I can't eat solid food in the morning, I've tried. I can't get solid food down until later in the day. With a properly adjusted band, Protein shakes can and are filling. Not like in the beginning with an unfilled band. Big difference.

I have started to make a grocery list for new items to try based on your recommendations! Thank you again for the advice!

My morning are a bit tighter and so I try to keep to something that while soft enough to not get stuck still requires chewing and has some substance to it.

Most of the time it's a Protein bar. This is also a good way to up your Protein consumption as many of them have from 10-20 grams of protein in them.

This is my "go to" if I am in a rush, or if I am not going to be eating for a long stretch of time. I try to always keep one in my pocket book in case I find myself out and hungry so my choice is not coming from a vending machine or a fast food joint.

Whole fresh foods are always better, but this is a good choice in a pinch.

As far as the level of Fluid in your band, I would have the doctor check things out for you. Either with a barium swallow, or fluoroscopic to see where you band is and the rate of digestion through the stoma.

I have read here that many people have thought they had a certain number of CC's in their band only to find that was not the case. So if your feeling your not at an optimum band level, speak to your doctor and ask to have it checked out.

I know exactly how you feel. I was banded in August and have been back every month for the last six months for fills. I currently have 6.5 CC's in my band. The last fill was on FEB 17th and starting about the 21st of the month or so I had several issues with food getting stuck and so I slowed down my eating to keep that from happening. That went on for 3 or 4 days and then just went away and now I am back to being able to eat anything I want. I am suppose to not eat more than 4 ozs of meat and a quarter cup of vegatables but that does not come close to making me feel satiated. I eat 5oz of meat and a cup of veggies and make myself stop. I have lost 36 pounds and average about 1/2 pound a week. I'm trying to keep my calorie intake around the 1200 a day range but I work out four times a week and build up a good appetite so it's hard. My next fill is scheduled for April the 3rd and the doctors assistant said last time if I'm still not feeling restriction by the time I go back they are going to do a procedure where they draw out all the Fluid to measure it and see if I really do have 6.5 CC in there. I hope I do or else there is a leak or something. Anyway it's frustrating. The doctors assistant acts like she does not believe me when I tell her I not feeling restriction. I have asked each time to get more than .5cc at a time but they won't do it. I thought of finding another doctor and paying cash for a fill as my insurance has currently run out and I have to get authorizations for more visits.

In short, yes I know how you feel and definately emphatize. Will follow your progess to see how you progress. Keep posting.