Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon has only done 26 sleeves

Consider this abstract - malpractice lawsuits are more common with inexperienced surgeons:

Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014 Jan-Feb;10(1):121-4. doi: 10.1016/j.soard.2013.04.015. Epub 2013 Jun 11.
Bariatric-related medical malpractice experience: survey results among ASMBS members.
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

The medicolegal aspects of bariatric surgery are very difficult to analyze scientifically because there is no central, searchable database of closed case claims and little incentive for malpractice insurers to divulge data. Examining medicolegal data may provide insight into the financial and psychological burden on physicians. Detailed data also may be used to improve patient safety and determine common causes of negligence.

METHODS:

All U.S.-based members of the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons were asked to complete a survey regarding their bariatric-related medical malpractice experience.

RESULTS:

Of the 1672 eligible members that received the survey, 330 responded (19.7%). Mean years in practice was 15.3±9. Mean annual cost of malpractice insurance was $59,200±$52,000 (N = 197). The respondent surgeons experienced 1.5±3.2 lawsuits on average over the course of their practice. Of the 330 respondents, 144 (48%) did not report a bariatric-related lawsuit filed against them. Of the 464 lawsuits reported by 156 surgeons, 126 were settled out of court (27%), 249 were dropped (54%), and 54 (18%) went to trial. Seventy-two percent of cases that went to trial were found to be in favor of the defense. The mean lifetime amount paid for suits was $250,000±$660,000. The probability of a bariatric surgeonexperiencing a lawsuit was independently associated with the years in practice (P = .03) and number of total cases thesurgeon has performed (P = .01). The annual cost of malpractice insurance was independently predicted by the amount paid in previous claims (P = .01).

CONCLUSIONS:

The probability of a medical malpractice lawsuit correlates positively to the number of proceduresperformed and the number of years the surgeon has been in practice.

Thank you Schmincke. I went to a support group meeting with some of his patients who have already had the surgery. I went this afternoon. He has been a general surgeon for years and has been doing gastrectomies for years, which I had not taken into consideration when I expressed my worry. The nurse coordinator was talking to us about it this afternoon. So, I feel much better now.

Best of Luck Janet! You will be on the losers bench before you know it! :)

Best of Luck Janet! You will be on the losers bench before you know it! :)

t

Thank you terri82much! I am soooooo excited now! I like your name! Very clever!

I didn't ask how many surgeries my surgeon had done. Never crossed my mind. Insurance company sent me to center of excellence, board certified dr.

I went with a center of excellence because I wanted to ensure that I had someone as well as a team that has the highest standard, but I agree doctors have to start somewhere. The question to ask yourself is how do you feel with this doctor does he make you feel secure and safe if not i would say shop on until you get a doctor you feel safe with. Good luck.

Wow, I researched for my revison doctor for over 2 years. Since the doctor who did my lapband was a good surgeon and I was reffered to him however after years of suspecting my lapband had problem this Dr alway made me think my failure to loose weight was my fault. It wasnt it was kinked and had slipped go figure.So for my health I really had look hard to find the best Dr I could find and take a leap of faith in having my revision. I had to go 2 hours out of town to find a center of excellence and I am very thankful I found not only was my doctor highly recommended he also is a leader of biariatric surgery in the USA. Many doctor from around the world come to him and learn from the best. I knew the moment I met him I would be in good hands and the proof was the when I woke up from surgery He greeted me with a smile and told me everything was ok. He also informed me that my lapband was a real mess inside me and the scare tissue fought hard to keep it in place but my doctor got it taken care of and did my sleeve all with in an hour in half. I am very pleased now!

Having worked in a hospital I do know the importance of research so I am very happy to hear you have done research about your new doctor.

Slindownthick I am glad your revision went great congrats, I can't wait to join you.