Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Residual Enlarged Esophagus from lap band turns to gastric sleeve for help!

Hello... I had the gastric lap land 8 years ago. I was under 18 when I had the surgery (but not by much). At one point I lost over 100 pounds going from 265 to 153. (5'9 female). Life was great went to college was able to eat milk and Cookies and lose weight, worked out 2x a day, etc. 3 years ago I went for a swallow test (because my doctor never sent me for one) and the doctors found I was completely closed up. food, medicine, etc had not processed thru my band in over 2 years. I was malnourished, severely anemic, and now have a permanently enlarged esophagus. I have spike to a little over 200 and for 3 years now have struggles between a 5 pound radius not being able to budge the scale. I have been on every prescribed weightless medication out there (all have failed) and now have been given the option of the sleeve. I am scared it will be like all the medicines I tried, where I am excited and then they too fail. Whether I eat a little or a lot I don't lose weight. I want to feel what it is like to be happy and "light' again.

Has anyone been or is in a similar boat? I would appreciate any offerings.

Thanks so much.

I did not have the lap band prior to my sleeve, so I will let others with that experience address that. But I do trust that the sleeve can be the next right step for you. I wish you good luck and good health.

I did not have the lap band prior to my sleeve, so I will let others with that experience address that. But I do trust that the sleeve can be the next right step for you. I wish you good luck and good health.

thank you Miss. Mac... that is very kind of you, and I appreciate the support

I have no expertise on the lap band either, but I wish you the best. I was someone who worked out and tried every diet out there before I was sleeved. I am still a slow loser, but it has helped me so much! I hope it works for you! :)

I had the lap band 7 years ago. My lapband never worked for me. I never had the sensation of fullness. In Dec , 2013 I had the sleeve and what a difference. For me, I can feel the fullness with only eating a little. My esophagus did stretch with the lapband ..but I was told it will reduce in time. The sleeve did for me what the lapband could not. So I am a happy camper.

I have esophageal dilation from my band causing achalasia symptoms. I was told RNY might be an option, but after removal was told the tissues at the lower esophagus are too damaged to tolerate further surgery. I would see an esophageal surgeon to consult on your options. They generally work closely with the bariatric department and can give you a better idea about further surgery.

Good luck!

i had nothing but bad things with the band i al now sleeved and its great! the band is awful and should be not allowed

i had the band and had issues too. i had it removed after a few years because the band slipped 2x. I was able to lose around 70 lbs with my band but after it was removed I gained it all back over the past 5 years. I am now still deciding if I want the sleeve or I should say IF im brave enough to get the sleeve. im so afraid!

Girly girl I got my band in November of 2005. I had the same experience as you. At first I did very well. Lost about 90 pounds but band was very tight lived on Protein Shakes. In pain just drinking. Then I got stuck once on broccoli and thought I was having a heart attack Never got to that sweet spot. Miserable. I decided to get the band removed and sleeved in one procedure scheduled for April 1. It is a hard decision to make but the years go by so fast. I was also angry with myself. But I know that I can't do it without the sleeve. Do some soul searching. We have all been through the endless diets, pills . I don't want to let any more of my life slip away. I know it us a huge decision. You know what you need to do. Good luck in your decision making. We are here for you.

Girly girl I got my band in November of 2005. I had the same experience as you. At first I did very well. Lost about 90 pounds but band was very tight lived on Protein shakes. In pain just drinking. Then I got stuck once on broccoli and thought I was having a heart attack Never got to that sweet spot. Miserable. I decided to get the band removed and sleeved in one procedure scheduled for April 1. It is a hard decision to make but the years go by so fast. I was also angry with myself. But I know that I can't do it without the sleeve. Do some soul searching. We have all been through the endless diets, pills . I don't want to let any more of my life slip away. I know it us a huge decision. You know what you need to do. Good luck in your decision making. We are here for you.

Thank Mary for your kind words. I am doing some heavy soul searching and praying! I know I cant do it by myself and I just keep telling myself that there is nothing wrong with me "getting help", its okay for me to give up the control. I need to just move forward a step at a time and hopefully Ill get there!!!!!

Girly girl I got my band in November of 2005. I had the same experience as you. At first I did very well. Lost about 90 pounds but band was very tight lived on Protein Shakes. In pain just drinking. Then I got stuck once on broccoli and thought I was having a heart attack Never got to that sweet spot. Miserable. I decided to get the band removed and sleeved in one procedure scheduled for April 1. It is a hard decision to make but the years go by so fast. I was also angry with myself. But I know that I can't do it without the sleeve. Do some soul searching. We have all been through the endless diets, pills . I don't want to let any more of my life slip away. I know it us a huge decision. You know what you need to do. Good luck in your decision making. We are here for you.

Mary E... how did you have both surgeries in one shit.. I was told I have to wait one month in between both

Girls girl

I am still with the same surgeon who did my lap and. Tried for years to work with it. I med with him four months ago to discuss how I tried and the issues I have had and failures. I had to meet with my nut for four months meet with the psychiatrist for evaluation, cardiologist my primary care physician get my letters from those doctors EGD. And that was that. He did take out all the Fluid from my band four to five months ago. He does the removal and sleeve in one surgery. I have noticed on this sites not all doctors do. I'm happy not to have to go under two surgeries. I'm from Ny. I hope this helps. If you have another questions I'm here for you.

Girly girl

I have the same surgeon that placed the lap band. I tried working with it since 2005. I had all the Fluid taken out five months ago. Had to Meet with my nit for four months. Met with psychiatrist for clearance. Meet with primary care and cardiologist for clearance. Surgeon in NY. Said he would do removal same time as sleeve. I have noticed on this site that some surgeons do it in one surgery and some do not. Don't know why. Some want u on a special diet fit two weeks some don't. Mine only wants liquids day before surgery.. Any other questions I'm here good luck

Girls girl

I am still with the same surgeon who did my lap and. Tried for years to work with it. I med with him four months ago to discuss how I tried and the issues I have had and failures. I had to meet with my nut for four months meet with the psychiatrist for evaluation, cardiologist my primary care physician get my letters from those doctors EGD. And that was that. He did take out all the Fluid from my band four to five months ago. He does the removal and sleeve in one surgery. I have noticed on this sites not all doctors do. I'm happy not to have to go under two surgeries. I'm from Ny. I hope this helps. If you have another questions I'm here for you.

Im from NY also. May I ask which doctor you will use?