Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After I got my lap band it became almost impossible for me to eat meat. It would get stuck no two ways about it. So I became a vegan. I started trying different things and have learned to successfully cook delicious meals that are meatless. So how do I get my Protein. Tofu, cottage cheese, yogurts, Beans, veggie burgers and yes I make home made black bean burgers that are better then any cow could produce. You may find you can't really eat a lot of meat after having lap band surgery but there are many ways to get protein besides eating meat. Once in a while I become stupid and think I just want a piece of meat and then it reminds me this is not for you anymore. I always was a lover of beans and we eat many different kinds and you would be surprised what seasoning can do. I have in my kitchen over 120 different spices and I use them. You have to be creative even if you can eat meat. You have to find recipes and make them your own. Yes I use butter and oil (olive) and in no way do I do fat free. Our bodies need a balance of good fats, good carbs and good Proteins in order to function properly and your body does not have to have meat in order to function. I don't need dead cow patties (hamburger) or pigs in a blanket or any other Bambi, Roger Rabbit or Daffy Duck. I am content being a vegan, I never eat the same meal in a three week period and I enjoy experimenting with veggies. Try it you might like it. I can't wait to get my garden started so that I can have a nice fresh stash of veggies to make so delicious you would want to eat them all.

Edited by cheryl2586

would you mind sharing your black bean burger recipe? I don't know that i would be able to go vegan, but i would love some meat substitutions, especially when summer comes around!

I've thought about going vegetarian, too. meat seems like such a pain (ha!) to deal with in the quantities I can eat.

One small point...vegan is the absence of all animal products, including milk, cheese, eggs...I don't think I would go that far with it.

Would love to have your recipes!

Well I do eat dairy products. A lot of vegans do drink milk and eat eggs and fish. I just choose not to eat fish.

2 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black Beans, rinsed and drained

• 1 egg
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs or I use Italian style bread crumbs.
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or granules
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Hot sauce to taste
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive or canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon of seasoning salt
  • 1 half green pepper chopped

Put Beans in a large bowl and mash well with a fork. Add egg, yellow onion, bread crumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Mix well to combine then shape into 6 patties.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Arrange patties in a single layer (working in batches, if needed) and cook, flipping once, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to Buns, top with lettuce, tomatoes and red onions and serve.

Nutritional Info:
Per Serving:290 calories (70 from fat), 7g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g dietary Fiber, 7g sugar), 12g Protein

You have to remember the carbs will be high because they are beans but these are the good carbs.

I've become mostly a vegetarian- not really by choice it just kind of turned out that way after I had surgery. I'm not a vegan, but I can completely understand that way of life. I do occasionally eat meat, but it's very rare that I do. I used to eat red meat a lot before surgery - I was so unhealthy! I'm going to try your receipt! I love it when people share their receipts because I can't think of new things sometimes :)

Edited by jamilyne 102668