Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Funding falling through- so depressed

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I'm really depressed right now. My husband told me in December he thought we'd be able to afford for me to have the sleeve. I've been researching and hoping to have this surgery for a couple of years now, and honestly, the timing is perfect. I just graduated nursing school, and am not working yet. I found a doctor in January, and he was able to discount the cost of the surgery because I also have a hiatal hernia, so my insurance will cover most of that surgery, and we can piggyback the sleeve (which my insurance does not cover) and do it all at once.

Well the money we thought we had coming in, didn't, and because I've been doing full time school for the past 2.5 years, we don't have much in savings.

Oh, and my surgery is scheduled for March 10! I just found out yesterday (the day I started my preop diet) that the money fell through.. but I'm still on the diet in hopes that something else will magically appear! We can't refinance the house at the moment so that isn't an option.. our debt to income ratio is sky high (student loans) so our credit is in the 'fair' category. I'm just so sad, and hoped for some support.

Oh, the Bariactric Advantage shakes are awful. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry you are going through this. My funding fell through several times before it finally came through. It really stinks when you make the decision to do this life changing wonderful surgery and then not have the funds. Hang in there, I hope things fall into place for you soon!

Have you exhausted non formal loans, I.e. Mom and Dad?

Another option is borrowing from your 401K, so no credit checks. ..

So sorry,

Can I ask how much it is?

Maybe you can look into going to MX for a fraction of the cost like I did, Instead of 20K I paid $5500

Good luck to you, all things in their own perfect timing?!

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. Unfortunately, I don't have a 401K, I always worked retail jobs from small business owners who couldn't afford to offer actual benefits. It's one of the reasons I went back to college and got a degree. My husband works for the state, and his retirement is a pention that can not be touched. (Crappy insurance for a state employee, right?)..

Asksara-

Mexico was always my first option because of the cost. There was a doctor I found that was $4199 and I was all set to do that when my husband began to worry about it being out of the country. That is when he insisted we try to look into options here.. when all is said and done here (including the discount for piggybacking the surgeries) here it'll be about $8000.

Mexico may become an option again, though I admit I was very happy to be doing this only about an hour from home.

Hi again! My father-in-law just gave me a LOAN to cover surgery... I'm so excited and it's beginning to feel real. I'm a little scare something else is going to get thrown in my way now. Thanks y'all for showing your support.