Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

leak and dr wants to remove my stomach

I have not read anywhere about loosing your stomach with a leak. Has anyone had that experience? I have a abscess on my spleen and it is right beside the leak so they are "communicating" and therefore there is no improvement in my case. Cannot find any info on the net about fixing a leak that way.

I would get a second opinion about that for sure. Best wishes for you that the leak starts healing for you.

Can they remove the spleen and fix the leak? Removing the entire stomach is not what I have heard to be common practice.

I've heard of people removing their entire stomachs when they have stomach cancer. I've never heard of it due to a leak. If a doctor recommended that, I would go with his recommendations over mine. I would probably go for a second opinion though, depending on the time avail for that etc etc. Good luck, it's possible so don't freak out.

Please quickly get a second opinion! Prayers going up now for you!

Yes, I have heard of it done in extreme cases. I would definitely get a second opinion from an excellent bariatric surgeon before going forward, assuming it isn't an emergency situation.

I guess I did not update you all. My spleen abcsesshad a fistula going to a leak which is like a port that keeps passing Fluid back and forth. This was preventing any healing. Having a feeding tube through my nose and stomach going directly to my intestine has helped. I was not to have any Fluid going through my mouth for 2 months so there would be no passage of fluid from stomach to abcess. eventually fistula closed up, abcess decresased in size and my drain from absess was removed or should I say I accedently yanked it out (ouch) and they decided not to put it back. My leak has sealed on my birthday March 29 I had my nose tube removed. I shocked all my doctors. Today I still have an abcess in my slpeen which is domant and it is 2.5 cm in size, I have CT scan every 6 months. It is causing me to be tired but I am healthy otherwise except I am loosing a lot of hair. I went down to 136 pounds and now I am up to 151. I still am eating more then I should but its getting better. This weoght has been stabilized for 2 months so I may be at my comfort weight. I had surgery before I moved to a smaller house and with a move and reno I am under pressure. It will be over soon :).

I'm going through the same thing. The dr wants to revise my sleeve to a bypass but cut the top part of my stomach out where the fistula is. I'm also not to have anything by mouth and have a feeding tube. How long was it before your fistula closed?

I am also suggesting second opinion, if you have time to wait for that. Also, they could remove the spleen - and should do that as a first option rather than the stomach if possible!! So sorry you have to deal with that - saying prayers for you!!

It took 2 months to close. My leak was right in the corner of esophugus and stomach near stitich line. They never thought it would heal and it did. Doctors don't to operate unless they have to so they like to wait at least 3 months between surgeries.

Wow! You sure seem to have a philosophical and positive attitude about all this. I guess you didn't have much choice -- it was what it was.

But more importantly -- congratulations that it's all going much better for you now.

Freaky!

Sorry I didn't read the rest of the story, LOL!
So glad everything worked out!!