Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you pick Gastric Bypass vs Gastric Sleeve?

I met with my surgeon for the first time today. When I walked into the appointment, I was getting a Gastric Sleeve. Now I'm not so sure and I'm confused. I've been on the sleeve board and there is a ton of support for that procedure. Now I'm on the Bypass board and the same exists.

So why do people pick one or the other? My surgeon will do either. But he pointed out some pros/cons and now I'm just confused!!!!!

It's based a lot on pros a and cons.... I wasn't a candidate for sleeve because I wasn't fat enough under my insurance ...my husband had the sleeve and he lost 150 lbs but then it just stopped... The bypass is more restrictive and works better for long term success from what I hear... I had the bypass March of 2013 and losr 100 lbs in 9 months ... Not going to lie, I thought I knew what restrictive was until I actually went through it...I needed the side effects that you can have if you get into the bad habits that got you into the situation the first time ...I have learned a lot about myself and the relationship that food had over me....you will see a lot of pros and cons for the bypass and sleeve but you got to look at what you really need....It's only a tool and the hard work still comes from us...good luck

When I was doing my research to make my own decision, I had searched "dumping syndrome" on YouTube. Dumping syndrome is a side effect of gastric bypass surgery and can be triggered by eating foods that are too greasy or too high in sugar.. Lap band patients and sleeve patients do not dump. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, cramping, diarrhea, and dizziness.

If a WLS who has the sleeve eats a piece of cheesecake, chances are they are going to enjoy the dessert and without realizing it they are positively reinforcing that bad behavior so old eating habits come back and the weight is regained. If a bypass patient eats a piece of cheese cake, they will more then likely feel like they are having a heart attack 30mins later. Would you ever want to touch another piece of cheesecake again after something like that? It's important to note that not every bypass patient experiences dumping syndrome. One of the vloggers in the video that I was watching said that she felt sorry for the people who didn't dump. I didn't get it then, but I do now. I PRAY that I am someone who will dump because I need that extra tool to keep me on the right track

Lastly, sleeve patients on average loose 40-50% of their excess body weight within one year of their surgery date. Bypass patients loose an average of 70-80% of their excess weight within the first year of surgery. Only you will know which surgery is right for you. I suggest watching A LOT of YouTube videos to hear stories from both sleeve and bypass patients to help you with your decision.

Best Wishes!

I just want to add that you can't bank on dumping, not everyone dumps... And recent studies actually show that people with the sleeve dump as well. However any of the weight loss surgeries will work it you are dedicated. You are going to find a lot of real life experiences here, consider the bias in all of them... Also look at studies and facts versus your medical conditions or family history of. Take into consideration what your doctor recommends for you. I was torn between the sleeve and the bypass but after doing my research from real life experiences, scientific facts, and doctors recommendations I chose the bypass. Goodluck on whatever you decide!

Edited by KristinaRnY

I just want to add that you can't bank on dumping, not everyone dumps... And recent studies actually show that people with the sleeve dump as well. However any of the weight loss surgeries will work it you are dedicated. You are going to find a lot of real life experiences here, consider the bias in all of them... Also look at studies and facts versus your medical conditions or family history of. Take into consideration what your doctor recommends for you. I was torn between the sleeve and the bypass but after doing my research from real life experiences, scientific facts, and doctors recommendations I chose the bypass. Goodluck on whatever you decide!

While you can't bank on dumping, the fear of it has helped me immensely! I am 10 months out today and I still am afraid to eat those things that can trigger dumping. This is why I chose gastric bypass. My son chose the sleeve because he didn't want to be so restricted. We have both been successful thus far. It is honestly a personal preference. Do your research and see what the best fit for you and your habits is. Good luck to you!

Edited by Dorian

I would suggest you go with your surgeon's best recommendation for you. He has looked at your health records and can detetmine from them the best option. If he has no recommendation between the two, take a look at which one with it's differences is better for you. For instance how much weight do you need to lose? If it is 200 lbs or 75 pounds, will you be happy only losing 50% of the excess. Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic? Can you handle dumping if it were to happen often at first until you figure it out?

I would suggest you go with your surgeon's best recommendation for you. He has looked at your health records and can detetmine from them the best option. If he has no recommendation between the two, take a look at which one with it's differences is better for you. For instance how much weight do you need to lose? If it is 200 lbs or 75 pounds, will you be happy only losing 50% of the excess. Are you diabetic or pre-diabetic? Can you handle dumping if it were to happen often at first until you figure it out?

My surgeon wouldn't recommend which surgery to have. He simply would provide the facts and pros and cons. Then it was up to the patient to research has and decide. At times I wish he would've said "this is what we are going to do." But I really researched and made the decision that I felt was best for me..

According to the "chart" I have 136 pounds to go. So he said realistically that's a the difference between the BP and Sleeve would be 10-15 pounds. I don't remember what it feels like to be 160 or 175. It's been over 25 years.

I've been sitting at this computer for hours on end. I've got myself so worked up I can't sleep. I'm starting to think my fear issues with regard to dumping is the fact that I'm a food addict and I have so much self doubt which is a bad combination. My "fat" brain says there is no way you can live without at least a bite of cheesecake now and then, or butter on something. So is my desire to have the sleeve really my mind figure out a way to cheat?

I am also a little worried about something my mother said in an email recently: "A doc I worked with had done the psychological for a friend who then never took the Vitamins and she has a permanent dementia from not doing that. I have jokingly said that if I am in the nursing home everyone has to make sure I am given my Vitamins and supplements." The Vitamin thing scars me. I now my mom manages it well now, 8 years post-op.

According to the "chart" I have 136 pounds to go. So he said realistically that's a the difference between the BP and Sleeve would be 10-15 pounds. I don't remember what it feels like to be 160 or 175. It's been over 25 years.

I've been sitting at this computer for hours on end. I've got myself so worked up I can't sleep. I'm starting to think my fear issues with regard to dumping is the fact that I'm a food addict and I have so much self doubt which is a bad combination. My "fat" brain says there is no way you can live without at least a bite of cheesecake now and then, or butter on something. So is my desire to have the sleeve really my mind figure out a way to cheat?

I am also a little worried about something my mother said in an email recently: "A doc I worked with had done the psychological for a friend who then never took the Vitamins and she has a permanent dementia from not doing that. I have jokingly said that if I am in the nursing home everyone has to make sure I am given my Vitamins and supplements." The Vitamin thing scars me. I now my mom manages it well now, 8 years post-op.

Realistically you can have a bite of cheesecake when you've had the bypass and wouldn't dump. I would take more than a bite to cause you to dump. I think that if you doubt you would be able to stop after one bite, you should go with the bypass. It gives you that mind control because you will NOT want to get sick. It is more restrictive definitely but if you have those food issues, especially with sweets and fried foods, it is the way to go. Your tastes will change and being physically unable to eat large amounts, so will your habits. It isn't always easy but so worth it. It becomes second nature, and thoughts of food don't control you anymore. Good luck!

Bypass it is. I woke up in the middle of the night with a case of heartburn and took it as my "sign" that bypass was the way to go. I don't think I have it often, but my dear hubby kindly reminded me there are times I eat tums like candy. And since heartburn is an issue with the sleeve- it's been taken off the list. bypass here I come!!!

I had to have RNY (bypass) because I had acid reflux an because I had Gastropareris which ha to be fixed... The choice was not my own.. However, I am glad I got the bypass!!!

i have been having a lot of heart burn issues and it was suggested fro me to have the bypass, I will be meeting with the surgeon on March 5, my last surgeon aid I would do fine with either one. I am looking forward to this journal, I do have a sweet tooth so I am looking at that as well. But I have begun making better choices and eating only when I am hungry and not out of boredom or stress.

Cupcake I have a sweet tooth as well! I figure the bypass will really reinforce the need to end that bad habit. The sleeve may have given me too much freedom. I know myself and I can already hear the "but it's my birthday and I've had peach pie for the last 40 years". And I mean a peach pie, all by my lonesome!!!!

I had heartburn again last night so I'm 100% bypass!

Amylif lol as soon as my husband heard that he said bypass for you, also he doesn't like the fact that if you have the sleeve and acid reflex get bad then they have to go back in to do the bypass. where are you in the process ?

My surgeon smiled politely and said...which surgery are you interested in...I said the sleeve..he asked me if I like sugar..I said no I love it!! That was all it took...he told me if you live sugar the sleeve isn't the option for you...I asked why because I'm a stubborn Gemini and he explained that with gastric bypass I won't have the cravings, with the sleeve if I want a milkshake then there was no repercussions of me drinking one which would essentially tell my body that it was ok for the future..leaving me personally with potentially lower weight loss than what I wanted!!