Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Camping Food

Happy thursday all. This weekend i'm going into the wilderness for a 3 day camping trip. Being the city girl that i am, I'm terrified to say the least. on top of being banded, i was rudely made aware of the following facts: no running Water, a medieval contraption called the chemical toilet, no hair dryer, no stove (i assume we will be rubbing 2 sticks together), no wi-fi...Just to name a few!!

Aside from the whining, it boils down to the question, what will a banded girl eat!?! Being the novice camper that i am, i bought hot dogs, Protein Shakes thinking i'll live off of that. then i was told that hotdogs even sans Buns might be tough to swallow for a bander. Last thing i want to happen is getting stuck and slimming over my friends medium toasted smores while they are holding hands singing Kumbayah. Any suggestions?

Yikes...that's a tough one! Im NO camper...lol...and the mechanical toilet you speak of would have me running for the hills....lol....but im sure you will do fine.

I would think some Protein bars would be good.

Im guessing there is some kind of refrigeration there???? If so, cant you just make yourself some salads (tuna/egg/chicken) and pack them to go with some crackers....im thinking things in cans....tuna fish...swanson makes chicken in a can and I have it for chicken salad lunches all the time...so yummy. fruit cups....

I know there will be some great camper friends coming on to give you much better ideas than those but maybe its a start....guess you would need to ask about the refrigeration part because that would give you way more options....

Good luck and let us know how your trip was....sounds like a lot of FUN!

now this is a first for me. what would I do. I would take hamburger and chicken and buy some fish like trout. trout has a lot of fat so goes down easily. I would also take a few potatoes. bake them in the fire. they will also go down easily, especially if you bring a cube of butter. bring lots of foil and make little meals at home into packages. like the hamburger with cubes of potatoes and sliced carrots or frozen peas. wrap it up like a present put in a freezer bag. the chicken season well with lemon pepper, add some cubed up root vegetables, like squash, carrots,celery,add a bit of olive oil and wrap. don't forget the salt and pepper and if you like things spicy add those to your package too. with the trout I would use olive oil and rub the outside of it, salt and pepper and add potatoes to it as well. for Breakfast oatmeal or a Protein Shake. although the shake won't keep you from getting hungry. but for the oatmeal add powder milk to the oatmeal so all it needs is Water. lunch can be a Soup with meat and vege. l love chicken and dumpling soup. don't forget Protein Bars and try and remember what your friends might be snacking on. and duplicate with a healthy choice. we can eat baked chips with refried Beans. the bean dip isn't bad when it comes to calories. and remember low fat cheese. I think I am hungry is why this is so long. perhaps you can talk your friends into making spaghetti one night. if you can't eat Pasta the sauce would taste real good. and canned chili is on our list too. make sure it has a pop top for easy opening. crystal light, lots of water and you are set. have a great time on your trip. I would love to go somewhere right now. little jealous here.

Assuming you have a cooler....Hard boiled eggs, yogurt, hummus,.

Assuming you will be cooking eggs, scrambled. I usually take a large baggie of chopped chicken and pineapple in Hawaiian marinade to be cooked later. You can get tuna in pouches. Grab some mayo packets at a fast food place if you like to add right into the pouch. Hamburgers with out the bun perhaps. =)

There is probably NO refrigeration other then the cold outside air and a cooler that will soon be out of ice. Protein bars are a great start!

Cans of tuna another great one if you are OK with no mayo and eating out of the can. Soups can be eaten the same way if they have a fire you can always warm a can of Soup up that way. There is also Tuna that comes in bags and often flavored and you can just open and eat that way or with some crackers. The same can be said for salmon and a few other fish and chicken products you can find right near the tuna.

There is beef Jerky that stays dry and does not need anything done to it. A jar of Peanut Butter works bring a spoon you can clean and re-use.

I would steer clear of cheeses and all other dairy since there is no where to keep them cool and using the mechanical toilet does not sound lovely.

Have fun on the trip, and most of all stay warm and dry!

Edited by lisacaron

wow i'm overwhelmed with all the awesome suggestions, there goes my excuse to eat 15 smores this weekend. unfortunately there will not be refrigeration, and since we will be in the dessert, it will be 90 during the day, and 40 at night. shopping list for tonight: boiled eggs, bags of tuna, some canned Soup and beef Jerky (hope that one goes down). If all fails, i will return on Monday and report 12 ways on how to eat a cactus.

No advice, best wishes, tho'! ;)

Sorry my refrigeration ideas just went out the window...lol...but good to know

also maybe you can just do some Snacks....almonds that are already portioned....high Protein Cereal in baggies (without the milk)...i like the tuna in the pouch idea and since i cant eat mine dry I would be finding some individual fast food packets of mayo...lol...

Most of all...have fun and enjoy the company!

Protein bars, beef Jerky, tuna. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!!