Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've heard about a liquid or Protein fasting diet....what do your surgeons put you on before surgery, and for what purpose? I'm wondering if all carbs have to go, including good carbs like fruit.< /p>

My doctor required me to be on a 2 week ALL liquid HIGH Protein diet before surgery AND after surgery. Before surgery it was to shrink my fatty liver prior to surgery. From what I understand they lift your liver to work under it...if its too fatty it makes it large and slippery to deal with. It makes the surgery easier and less chance of complications. I basically used all high Protein shakes that were recommended by my nutritionist. Feels like so long ago...lol only 5 months...we could also eat smooth Soups...but we definately needed to focus on the Protein.< /p>

After surgery it was to allow for proper healing.

That was what my doc wanted me to do and the reasons why.

I am on high Protein all liquid. I can add some berries, or sugar free Jello powder for other flavorings. In fact my surgeon gave me a bunch of recipes. I use a magic bullet to blend ingredients with ice to make some really good smoothies. In the morning I blend coffee and ice with a pre made vanilla Protein Drink and it's like a Starbucks Frappucino. For lunch I blend Soup and Fage for the Protein. I stay away from fruits that aren't berries just because of the elevated sugar in them.

As others have said, the goal is to shrink the liver, but also to get used to liquid lifestyle that will be required in the weeks after surgery.

K

Kayzoog,

Hi, quick question: when you mix the coffee with a vanilla Protein drink, is the coffee already brewed? And is the Protein Drink already mixed (If so, what kind do you use)? I know this sounds like a silly question, but I'm new to all of this, and it sounds like a good recipe.

Any other smoothies that you like? I start my pre-op diet on Monday, and I'm trying to wrap my head around it.

Also, for everyone else, did anyone ever try the high Protein Soup packages from the surgeon's office? I bought some high protein chicken broth and am wondering how it tastes...??

My doctors requires the "Sugar Buster" diet for 2-3 weeks before surgery. It is basically a 3 gram or less of sugar per serving diet. Lots of protien and veggies. You can have "some" fruit but not all and a serving a whole wheat bread each day. This is designed to shrink the liver so it is easier on him during the surgery. I am on day 9 of this diet and have shed 5 pounds. It was a little rough on day 1 and 2 but has gotten much, much better. Hope this helps..... :)

Mine had me do a ONE week Clear liquid ( almost Zero ) calorie diet. No protein/carbs/calories.....Clear liquid only. It is/was to reduce the size of the liver. But each has their own protocol to follow.

There is so much variation -- some have no pre-op at all and others have three weeks, some are shakes plus a meal, others are all-liquid, etc. I think it's important to follow whatever your surgeon's protocol is but also to be an active partner in the process. Mine prescribed two weeks of shakes only (provided by the hospital). When I reviewed the ingredients I couldn't believe the crap in those particular shakes, so I talked to the nutritionist about using other shakes without all the chemicals. Later the surgeon told me he wouldn't use any of those either but that people are used to so much sugar they need something with a lot of artificial substitute in order to stay on. One thing seems to be true of all these diets -- every one agrees that the first few days are brutal but then it gets so much easier. And it's all for a purpose -- there's the excitement building (and also nerves -- nothing like going off food for the emotions to come up, too!). Keep your eyes on the prize and know that you will probably drop a nice little chunk to get you started on your journey.

Like Ga Gurl, my liquid diet is ala Sugar Busters. I brew coffee in the morning (that is the only thing that is normal for me from pre-pre-op) and have a bit while I watch the news. Then I put about 1/2 a cup of brewed coffee in the fridge to cool it down while I shower and get ready. When I am ready to head to work, I mix Premiere Vanilla pre-made shake (from Costco) with ice and the 1/2 cup of cooled down coffee. I usually add a little splenda because I like it sweeter. I blend that all up till nice and frothy and sip that on my way to work (30 min drive).

Before my pre-op, I tried Bariatric Advantage powder which was recommended by my surgeon. It sits like a brick in my stomach. I do not like it at all. The Premiere shakes from costco do much better for me. My cousin is a big natural foods chef, and she suggested that I use Fage Fat Free Greek Yogurt to make the smoothies instead of the powders. So, I blend a cup of that with Tomato Soup, or cooked broccoli and broth or even Amy's Organic canned pea Soup to make a more Protein rich soup. It actually tastes quite good, and "eating" something warm breaks up the monotony of the cold shakes.< /p>

I am on day 3 and so far so good. I drink lots of Water throughout the day. I've been practicing managing my stress by just drinking Water instead of what I would normally do which is snack. I've been trying to decide if I am really hungry or just mentally hungry before I have a shake. It sounds funny, but I literally look down at my stomach to make sure it is really hungry. Ha!

- K

My diet is two weeks of Slim Time Protein shakes before surgery and for one week afterwards. I like the taste of the shakes, they aren't bad at all. Then again I'm only on day 2...lol, ask me next week how much I'm enjoying it.

I also can have certain low glycemic veggies, prepared without oils or sugars.

Edited by NancyintheNorth

Hello everyone

My date is 3/13/2014. I was told to do sugar busters until the day of surgery. I am going on vacation tomorrow and will start the diet on monday.

I started my pre-op diet today. Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch, and a lean cuisine or other meal under 300 calories, under 15g of carbs and over 15g of Protein for dinner.< /p>

So I've heard about a liquid or Protein fasting diet....what do your surgeons put you on before surgery, and for what purpose? I'm wondering if all carbs have to go, including good carbs like fruit.< /p>

10 days of Protein shakes, broth, sugar free popsicles and Jello for me. I could have 4 4oz shakes throughout the day total. It's to shrink your liver so the surgeon has more room to work. Each person has a different plan though.

Ok. My doctor recommend sugar busters diet for pre-op. do you think it would be a good idea to do a Protein Shake mixed with strawberries every morning for breakfast? I'm considering buying a real nice blender so I can start making smoothies in the morning. I've also been taking adult gummi Vitamins.

I've also been taking adult gummi Vitamins.< /p>

I was told not to do the gummy vitamins because of added sugar. I doubt it is enough to make a difference though.