Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disclaimer: a bit of whining?

So I am 9 days out from surgery and I am having some troubles. Overall, I have done very well, so a part of me feels guilty even complaining at all but this feels like a safe group to vent to. I know the panacea, honestly, is time and I know this will all straighten out-I am just tired and feeling a bit down. As far as pain, it is manageable with a few tylenol. The steri-strips are coming off, the bruising is getting better and dear god, the weight is literally falling off (15 pounds since surgery).
So why the "pity party for one, seating in the back?" My sleep is completely jacked up. I have Restless Leg and the usual medicine is not working-I am tired as hell but cannot fall asleep until around 7 am. I have been walking (except today), and I have been trying to get my Protein in-I can usually only tolerate 2 shakes a day because no matter how long I wait, the third shake comes up slimed. Honestly, the thought of another Protein Shake makes me want to barf...Been doing well with my Fluid intake but overall, I still feel weak as a kitten and I am just frustrated. I know there are no quick fixes and I know there are no easy answers, so I guess I just wanted some page-time to b***h.

Lastly, the head-hunger everyone talks about-is it always this....psychotic? I am going along fine going from the computer room to the kitchen and it hits me out of the blue "bacon and eggs RIGHT NAO!!!" and after a minute it is completely gone-and it does it at the weirdest times-it sometimes stops me in my tracks and I actually have to verbally say, "silly girl, you know you can't have that so soon after surgery wtf is your problem?" Baffling to say the least...

thanks to those who took the time to read my crazy rants--so much up and down emotions it feels like a big, fast, unpredictable roller-coaster...

I have heard lots of people complain about sleep issues. Fortunately, I haven't had the problem. A few years ago I discovered 1 bendadryl, 1 3mg. melatonin, and my nightly Neurontin put me to sleep just fine. I waited maybe 4 days after surgery before I started up with that again and had no issues with taking the meds whole.

I'm sorry about your RLS. Hubby has it pretty bad. He is on Neupro Patches and Mirapex tablets and sometimes it still breaks through. Now that wakes me up even from my sleep cocktail!

Have had the Restless leg since I was a kid, was on Mirapex, Requip (at super high doses), and now I am on Klonopin at bedtime (refused to start a Fentanyl patch for a variety of reasons)-it was well controlled for a long long time and my sleep doc said to increase my Iron intake because it has to do with Iron depletion in the dopamine receptors (even if your serum iron and ferritin are normal) which I did with the Bariatric Advantage chewables (passion fruit flavor is pretty damn stellar). I am gonna give it a few more days-I see my WLS doc on monday and I will try and see my PCP later that week-it is probably all the anesthetics I am slowly releasing (they are stored in fat cells by the way) causing all this up and down stuff-which is contributing to my mood swings I would bet. Thank you for your kind thoughts :) I know, I know, this to shall pass, it is just easier if I talk about it :)

Weird, my hubby's RLS got worse after he weaned off Fentanyl Patches for pain from radiation therapy. I wonder if more Iron could help him. He is unable to take food by mouth and is on a feeding tube. I wonder if there are sublingual Iron supplements.

The Bariatric Advantage Iron can be crushed, added to Water and put in a feeding tube. The reason I did not go for the Fentanyl patch is I am a medical provider and I can't in good conscious be making medical decisions under the influence of a narcotic, much less, tolerance builds and eventually, the patch dose would need to be increased. by typing this stuff out I think I figured out why my RLS is bad now and it is just because I am processing the anesthetics AND losing weight on top of that, possibly dumping more anesthetic by-products into my blood stream. I will sleep when i can, take my shakes when i can and walk when I can...

I will look into that Iron supplement. I also saw some drops on Amazon he could take in his food bag.

Thanks!

Head hunger was not what I thought it was going to be. I thought I knew what the term meant but when it happened it gave me whiplash. Lol. Your right, time and grit. But it sure as sh*t ain't easy. Whine away! I know I did!

I will look into that Iron supplement. I also saw some drops on Amazon he could take in his food bag.

Thanks!

I wish I could send you the bottle of liquid Iron I bought and never used!

As a nurse in a hospital, I give plenty of liquid Iron supplements down feeding tubes. I'm sure it's out there if tube clogging is an issue for him. May have to be prescription.

I know he probably has many physicians (rad onc, med onc, ENT, PCP etc) but if he isn't followed by a neurologist for his RLS he should be once his treatment time settles down. Finally, the medical community is looking at RLS as a real medical illness, albeit starts in the head, it has peripheral consequences :) My neurologist says that if the ferritin level is 30 or lower (understand that is still in the normal range for most labs) Iron supplements can help. My doc wants me around 60 and I haven't had a lab since surgery. Fergon makes a liquid formula but you gotta flush the tube because Jess is right in that it will clog. It isn't an overnight response either so just keep that in mind. Thanks for the help, support and well-wishes...feeling a bit better.

<p>I have heard lots of people complain about sleep issues. Fortunately, I haven't had the problem. A few years ago I discovered 1 bendadryl, 1 3mg. melatonin, and my nightly Neurontin put me to sleep just fine. I waited maybe 4 days after surgery before I started up with that again and had no issues with taking the meds whole.</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm sorry about your RLS. Hubby has it pretty bad. He is on Neupro Patches and Mirapex tablets and sometimes it still breaks through. Now that wakes me up even from my sleep cocktail!</p>

I was relieved to read your message about people having sleep issues. I had surgery June 14, 2013, and have had a very difficult time sleeping at night. Initially, it was painful after eating, or forgetting my guidelines and eating too fast or taking a drink during eating. So then I felt better if I sat up until food had moved on for digestion. But I had to return to work after 2 wks. Full time and was falling asleep at 4:00a.m., then getting to work late. I slept in 5 or 6 times in the first two months after falling asleep late. And then I was fired for lateness! At that point, I was still trying to eat lunch in my office and was throwing up in my trash can. Still unemployed since end of August 2013, and still up all night now from depression as much as anything else probably. Physically, I feel great now and actually have to remind myself I had surgery. But I do need help to get back on a routine, eating small amounts several times a day. I'm drinking my Protein Drink and taking my Vitamins, but only eating a Protein Bar mid day and chicken and salad or similar for dinner. I've quit exercising because I can't afford gas to go to my surgeon's gym and trainer. Can't get motivated to do it at home. Will you all please help me get myself back together? I've lost 60lbs. simce surgery in June 2013, and I am stalled and have lost my way.

You know I had something similar but with my upper body, my arms and neck area. I started falling asleep on the couch to try and stop it. Has anyone had upper body restless issues like that? Starting week one post op.